Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pay off balance before delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else seeing this on their account page? Looks like you can now submit payment online before taking delivery.

tesla-craigslist-upload.jpg

What? This is opposite of what I’ve been told by the advisor. I pick up the car at the delivery center for clarifications sake.

Edit: ok I guess I’m confused now

The advisors are trained to tell you that you need to pay in full before the deliver day. Just show up for your appointment and have your bank routing and account number ready. Inspect the car, make sure you are happy with it, and then when you are satisfied and ready to take the car, you can submit your payment via ACH right before you leave with the car.

Never pay for the car before you take delivery. If anything goes wrong and you reject the car, you don’t need to be chasing Tesla for your money back. You have more leverage to get them to fix the situation if you haven’t paid them yet.

They don’t accept personal checks. ACH or cashiers checks.

I picked mine up at the SC in Chicago and paid the balance by personal check after I inspected the car. I could have done an ACH transfer then, but check was easier for me.

Also, make sure the contract numbers are all correct. They needed to correct the Cook County tax shown on my contract, which they did without a problem when I pointed it out.

Finally, they will give you hard copies or email you copies of the documents, but make sure they include (by email or hard copy) the Monroney sticker. Mine wasn’t in the car, so I went back to the SC and they printed out a copy for me.

Reactions: neroden
I wouldn’t do it. Inspect your car first.

DO NOT PAY BEFOREHAND. I made that mistake and used the portal to ACH over $7K. A month after the failed delivery, Tesla has not returned the funds. They are ghosting inquiries and giving excuses. Latest is that I will get the ACH in 10-13 days. IF that happens, Tesla will have had almost 6 weeks of float on my funds. This is a PITA because I had to buy a car from another brand while Tesla takes their time. When I was waiting, another buyer put $6K on his credit card so try for that and grab the points.

If you rejected the car, Tesla takes it back, corrects all issues, then gives the same car back, for your inspection and acceptance.

I'd just pay in full ahead of delivery, then notice any issues at delivery and have them recorded. Get issues corrected at a later date and enjoy driving on your delivery day.

Don't count on them correcting. They tried to pressure me into accepting a car with 6 scratches (one clear through the paint). I asked for a Due Bill to document and they said there would be no documentation or later fix. I could take the car AS IS or not . . . so I walked from what would have been my 7th new Tesla purchase. I was told they sold the car the next day on a snowy Denver weekend to an unsuspecting buyer.

The sales manager told me to my face, why would they fix things when these things are selling like hotcakes. He said that they used to bend over backwards when they only sold high end cars. Now, us commoners are SOL.

#TeslaDumpsterFire

• Love
Reactions: neroden