Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Payment before delivery “To Pay or not to pay, that is the question”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my plaid set up and ready to go. For me, I am paying cash. The app tells me I need to pay before my appointment but the SA said I didn’t need to. I would rather not hit the “Pay” button until my appointment and I inspect the vehicle. What’s everyone else’s experience with this when paying cash? For me I have a trade in involved but it’s paid off and shouldn’t make any difference.

Reactions: cdub
I have my plaid set up and ready to go. For me, I am paying cash. The app tells me I need to pay before my appointment but the SA said I didn’t need to. I would rather not hit the “Pay” button until my appointment and I inspect the vehicle. What’s everyone else’s experience with this when paying cash? For me I have a trade in involved but it’s paid off and shouldn’t make any difference.
DO NOT PAY BEFORE DELIVERY!

Bring a bank check with you. Do not use plaid.

Reactions: walex19
I wanted to inspect the car first so I brought 2 cashiers checks (half finance and half from my account). Easy and that is actually what the majority of people do as I asked the sales guy.
That's what I did yesterday for my MYLR. I only finance a small part and they welcome the two checks (a draft + a cashier check) and allow me to inspect the car before. Flawless transaction!

I’ve never gotten a car loan before. Are you guys using third party finance? Is 1 the down payment you pay and 1 from your financial institution to cover the rest? I heard some places overnight or mail the check to the dealer directly? If I finance through tesla. Do all I need to bring is my own cashier’s check to cover the down payment?

Thanks.

Yeah, the SA called me about the delivery and he basically said don’t use the plaid to pay. Not that there is anything wrong with it, it was just that sometimes banks put that kind of funds on hold for a bit before it can be released. Like you guys, he recommended just to bring a certified check (in my case).

just not sure why the app makes it sound like if you don’t pay it in advance, you might not get your car. I think they should change the language on the app personally.