Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible to pay without Plaid in 2023?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I looked, but couldn't find any information newer than 2022 on this. Is there still a way to pay via ACH without Plaid in 2023?

I've tried the old workaround where you fail at finding a bank in Plaid on the App, but now all it does is prompt me to pay by wire (which I can do, but I'd rather pay with ACH, since it's free).

And while I'm asking questions that probably have easy to find answers: if I reject and I've paid in full, do they refund me or do they hang on to the money until I cancel the order entirely?

Edit: I should add that I am in Texas, so I don't believe Tesla is allowed to accept payment at the service center (though I could be wrong).

I looked, but couldn't find any information newer than 2022 on this. Is there still a way to pay via ACH without Plaid in 2023?

I've tried the old workaround where you fail at finding a bank in Plaid on the App, but now all it does is prompt me to pay by wire (which I can do, but I'd rather pay with ACH, since it's free).

And while I'm asking questions that probably have easy to find answers: if I reject and I've paid in full, do they refund me or do they hang on to the money until I cancel the order entirely?

Edit: I should add that I am in Texas, so I don't believe Tesla is allowed to accept payment at the service center (though I could be wrong).
Ask your advisor if they'll take a cashiers check at delivery.

Ask your advisor if they'll take a cashiers check at delivery.
They sent me a Texas Pickup Instructions document that states: "Note that we cannot accept any payments onsite, but do offer an efficient payment method electronically through your Tesla App."

Edit: this is followed by instructions on how to mail them a cashiers check and upload scans of it prior to delivery.

They sent me a Texas Pickup Instructions document that states: "Note that we cannot accept any payments onsite, but do offer an efficient payment method electronically through your Tesla App."

Edit: this is followed by instructions on how to mail them a cashiers check and upload scans of it prior to delivery.

Instructions for Texas may be different than instructions in other states due to Texas still disallowing a manufacturer to sell cars. you need feedback from people in Texas, other feedback you read from people in any other state is likely not accurate for you unless they specifically say they helped someone in Texas or picked up a car in texas then moved later or something.

Reactions: azuled
Instructions for Texas may be different than instructions in other states due to Texas still disallowing a manufacturer to sell cars. you need feedback from people in Texas, other feedback you read from people in any other state is likely not accurate for you unless they specifically say they helped someone in Texas or picked up a car in texas then moved later or something.
I didn't realize there was a Texas sub-forum. I've posted there as well. Thanks.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I'm unsure if it's failing because I'm in Texas, trying to pay for the entire vehicle, because I don't have a specific delivery date assigned yet (just a range and the VIN), or if they have just changed the App since September.

We absolutely refuse to use Plaid because they want your online banking credentials and can thus, in addition to helping arrange payment, grovel through your transaction history for every bank account associated with those credentials and do whatever else occurs to them or the hackers who break into their systems. If you're OK with that, go for it. Instead, we set up our bank routing / account number via the Tesla app and paid them that way. Note that we used a checking account separate from our primary checking account. We put the money we wanted them to have into that separate account, the snatched it, and all went perfectly smoothly.

Reactions: Noflash
We absolutely refuse to use Plaid because they want your online banking credentials and can thus, in addition to helping arrange payment, grovel through your transaction history for every bank account associated with those credentials and do whatever else occurs to them or the hackers who break into their systems. If you're OK with that, go for it. Instead, we set up our bank routing / account number via the Tesla app and paid them that way. Note that we used a checking account separate from our primary checking account. We put the money we wanted them to have into that separate account, the snatched it, and all went perfectly smoothly.
questions for you:
  1. when did you do that?
  2. how did you get to the bank details entry screen? I mentioned above, but I cannot seem to view the bank details entry screen.
  3. where are you located?

I'm in NH and was able to cancel out of the Plaid screens back in June when I picked up my MYLR. It definitely sounds like the app has changed since then and they're making it harder to avoid Plaid. But even so, I would happily pay via wire transfer and get charged for that instead of using Plaid - the scope of what you're agreeing to when you use them is pretty scary, just read their terms and conditions.

I'm in NH and was able to cancel out of the Plaid screens back in June when I picked up my MYLR. It definitely sounds like the app has changed since then and they're making it harder to avoid Plaid. But even so, I would happily pay via wire transfer and get charged for that instead of using Plaid - the scope of what you're agreeing to when you use them is pretty scary, just read their terms and conditions.
Out of curiosity, did you do this after you had a firm delivery date? I'm wondering if it has something to do with not having a firm date yet (vin assigned but still in a range).

Out of curiosity, did you do this after you had a firm delivery date? I'm wondering if it has something to do with not having a firm date yet (vin assigned but still in a range).
Good question. I believe I did it after I had my delivery appointment set up. I didn't make the final payment until I picked up the MYLR and had had some time to look it over first, though. It went through very quickly in the app since I'd set it up in advance and the Tesla rep was able to see that I'd submitted payment just a few seconds after.

• Informative
Reactions: azuled
questions for you:
  1. when did you do that?
  2. how did you get to the bank details entry screen? I mentioned above, but I cannot seem to view the bank details entry screen.
  3. where are you located?
Ah, I probably should have said that we entered the bank details back when we were paying the lease on our 2021 Model 3P. Since the info was already in the app and Tesla knew it was a good working bank account, they were delighted to take full payment that way for the new car. That's also how we paid the curb rash fee of $80 per wheel for two wheels on our Model 3 when we turned it in.

We're in the US. :)

I got a firm delivery date/time today and there is still no option to add bank information manually. Plaid or Wire now seem to be the only options. Not sure if this is due to my state (Texas) or some other factor I don't understand. Most likely, in my mind, is an app update removed the work around for whatever reason. The Plaid popup still suggests that it's possible ("Exit to add bank information manually"), but the actual function has never been available to me.

I got a firm delivery date/time today and there is still no option to add bank information manually. Plaid or Wire now seem to be the only options. Not sure if this is due to my state (Texas) or some other factor I don't understand. Most likely, in my mind, is an app update removed the work around for whatever reason. The Plaid popup still suggests that it's possible ("Exit to add bank information manually"), but the actual function has never been available to me.
It took me a couple tries to back out to get the ACH option last month (in Colorado). You might want to get another perspective and see if someone else in your family can tap around in the app to get there. If it's a TX thing, that really sucks. I would not use Plaid ever. If you are forced to, I'd change passwords afterwards. Good luck.

It took me a couple tries to back out to get the ACH option last month (in Colorado). You might want to get another perspective and see if someone else in your family can tap around in the app to get there. If it's a TX thing, that really sucks. I would not use Plaid ever. If you are forced to, I'd change passwords afterwards. Good luck.
I was never able to get around it. I ended up using Plaid and then removing the auth for it.