Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Payment method: Plaid vs direct draft

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another lawsuit against Plaid by a bank for deceiving the bank's customers.
Not important for us here. It's a trademark infringement suit. Nothing to do with finance fraud. Likely they didn't get permission to use the logo. How many of us are guilty of using trademarks without permission. There might be other reasons and the trademark was just what they could go after.

Not important for us here. It's a trademark infringement suit. Nothing to do with finance fraud. Likely they didn't get permission to use the logo. How many of us are guilty of using trademarks without permission. There might be other reasons and the trademark was just what they could go after.
I think you missed the important part of this lawsuit. The trademark infringement claim was made because Plaid presents a deception to the user that the user is logging into their bank via its secure login, whereas one is merely handing their username and password directly to Plaid in clear text, which Plaid retains.

Reports claim that "Plaid... had worked to monetize the data." The report goes on:
Plaid has seen a number of class action lawsuits accusing it of selling information obtained from logins from millions of customers, without the practice being disclosed. One of them, PYMNTS reports, said the California-based company has been engaging in such practices for years and has affected upwards of 200 million individual accounts.
While Plaid denies these claims, this development would make no sense if it did not.

I don't know what details TD Bank has with Plaid, but my bank gave Plaid a thumbs up as they are safe to use. However, I am cautious so I will be changing my password once this Tesla deal is complete. Right now, I have much bigger issues with Tesla and their practices than me worrying over a trademark dispute that will get settled in the courts.

At this point in time I can only say that the Plaid transaction completed as my bank said it would. I play the FUD game if there are issues later. Everyone will need to determine their own risk / reward on dealing with Plaid.

Tesla seems to have "fixed" the sneak path to the simple bank routing and account number. I tried the above method and got a note saying "Pay with Other Options". It only says to read your MVPA for wire transfer or Certified Check.

I think I'll ask my bank to set up a special account. Then move the payment $$ there and THEN use the Plaid to pay it off. I refuse to give my regular bank data which includes over 20 years of financial data. I hope that works. Otherwise I'll have to open an account at some other bank and do it that way.

Now I understand your original post. Wonder why it behaves differently for different people. Weird.
Yeah- WEIRD! I’m in same circle of hell. I DON’T want to use the stinking ”plaid“ interface… really????, Tesla. Why can you not just make a simple payment APP like any SANE company does that wants to make their patron’s life easy- newsflash ELON— we ALL VALUE our TIME just like you do! For Pete’s sake just make it simple to pay in ONE (1), (uno), place. NOT ROCKET SCIENCE (pun intended) to create a simple payment portal. But you do have to hire software people that don’t have their collective heads up their a--es. Oh, BTW, I actually was able to put in “manually“ another payment acct. And guess what????… it didn’t save it…. back to square 1. Ridiculous, no LUDICROUS!

Well, they DID attempt to make it easy by using Plaid - it's the security aspect that most of us don't like, not so much the ease of use.... If you have a physical bank location you can go to, just get a bank check. I even saw on another thread or FB group, where they took a personal check for the payment.

Yeah- WEIRD! I’m in same circle of hell. I DON’T want to use the stinking ”plaid“ interface… really????, Tesla. Why can you not just make a simple payment APP like any SANE company does that wants to make their patron’s life easy- newsflash ELON— we ALL VALUE our TIME just like you do! For Pete’s sake just make it simple to pay in ONE (1), (uno), place. NOT ROCKET SCIENCE (pun intended) to create a simple payment portal. But you do have to hire software people that don’t have their collective heads up their a--es. Oh, BTW, I actually was able to put in “manually“ another payment acct. And guess what????… it didn’t save it…. back to square 1. Ridiculous, no LUDICROUS!
No thanks, I'd prefer Tesla be good and focus on what I'm buying, which is the car.

Thanks for raising awareness. I just did direct deposit. I had used Plaid for Venmo but had 2-factor authentication enabled on my checking account. I will now revoke Plaid access and change password for good measure.
That only means that they can no longer access your account. However, they potentially did a data harvest on your account records while they did have access.

Reactions: Dracaris
Why can you not just make a simple payment APP like any SANE company does that wants to make their patron’s life easy
It can't be simpler than just providing account and routing numbers for an ACH transfer.

Anyway, I found that Tesla can always just do the simple ACH transfer at delivery, which is what I did when I told them I complained about Plaid.

Reactions: NeverGoingBack
We inspected the car before signing anything and, happily, found no problems. And we financed with Tesla convinced we could make more than 2.49% on what we owed by keeping the balance invested. That has been our experience in the past anyway. Just a thought.

It can't be simpler than just providing account and routing numbers for an ACH transfer.

Anyway, I found that Tesla can always just do the simple ACH transfer at delivery, which is what I did when I told them I complained about Plaid.
Or finance through Tesla, or bring a check... but yes clearly the most obvious and correct answer is "...make a simple payment APP", you know like every other car company does ;)