Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PDR Dent Removal with PPF/Ceramic Coat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found today a dent in my hood, it appears someone might have dropped something on it. Ack! There is no scratching (thanks PPF), but it is a clear dent.

The video below shows how to remove such a dent (the one in the video is almost exactly like the one I have) using a dent removal tool in which you "glue" a puller to the dent, and then use a chemical to loosen it and pull it off.

Does anybody know if this will work on top of PPF and Ceramic Coating (Opti-Coat)?

Seek out a professional. It is an aluminum hood and you cant glue pull that. That will have to be pushed out the traditional way-massaging the low spot up from underneath. That is a professional grade tool and you can do some serious damage if you start practicing on your beautiful car hood.

Bottom line, the material is aluminum. Use caution.

Reactions: timvracer
Sorry I didn't read the part about the paint protection film. The tool demonstrated will leave an impression in the film from the surface bars and the suction of the glue puller.. Secondly, the glue puller technique will lift the paint protection off the paint, thereby damaging the whole kit. Secondly, the suction or downward pressure will mess up the film.

The traditional massaging the dent out from behind is your answer. Our dent technician cannot do many of the panels that have the film installed.

Thanks much Transhine. I actually used my noggin and thought about it, and realized that no way this could work anyhow with the film there. Thanks for the dent out from behind tip, any idea who does this kind of work in the bay area? Any suggestions on finding a reputable talent who can do the dent out from behind?

Sorry I didn't read the part about the paint protection film. The tool demonstrated will leave an impression in the film from the surface bars and the suction of the glue puller.. Secondly, the glue puller technique will lift the paint protection off the paint, thereby damaging the whole kit. Secondly, the suction or downward pressure will mess up the film.

The traditional massaging the dent out from behind is your answer. Our dent technician cannot do many of the panels that have the film installed.

Try www.YELP.com in San Francisco area. You should get a good list of reviewed technicians in your area. An experienced PDR guy will know how to remove the dent on aluminum panels. You can probably find guys who have worked on Teslas and will be familiar with what he/she has to do. Let them know you have the paint protection film on your hood. Good Luck.