Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pearl White vs Grey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pearl White all day- that was my first choice because with tinted windows it really pops. I settled for black because my service loaner was such a good deal... Every time I see a picture of a white or pearl white one my heart sinks a little- but I still love my black Renegade... The deal I got was a-mazing.

I originally ordered pearl white, then changed it to metallic grey when most of the Teslas I saw around town were white. I am SO happy with the decision. The metallic grey is like having 3 different cars. In some lights, it looks grey. In some, it looks silver. And in some is look french blue.

I was really nervous about the decision until the day I went to pick up the car. I walked into the service center on the appointed day to see 3 Teslas side by side, including one that was pearl white. I said "WOW, that blue one on the end is BEAUTIFUL!" The DS said, oh that's metallic grey, that's your color!

And I don't even like blue cars....

I originally ordered pearl white, then changed it to metallic grey when most of the Teslas I saw around town were white. I am SO happy with the decision. The metallic grey is like having 3 different cars. In some lights, it looks grey. In some, it looks silver. And in some is look french blue.

I was really nervous about the decision until the day I went to pick up the car. I walked into the service center on the appointed day to see 3 Teslas side by side, including one that was pearl white. I said "WOW, that blue one on the end is BEAUTIFUL!" The DS said, oh that's metallic grey, that's your color!

And I don't even like blue cars....

I've been struggling with black vs. grey. I think your post may have finally tipped me towards grey. I saw the grey in the flesh first at the Toronto Service Centre opening, and compared to the black I have on order, it looked awesome. The black just looked, I don't know, unremarkable. The grey was parked at the front, the black further in the shop.

Went back for a second look and the grey car had moved to the location the black car was. Totally different car. Didn't like it as much, either. I don't think the black can be as much a chameleon as the grey - black is black, after all.

I like the idea of having paint that appears to change colour! Oh, and having paint that isn't tricky to take proper care of is nice too.

I've been struggling with black vs. grey. I think your post may have finally tipped me towards grey. I saw the grey in the flesh first at the Toronto Service Centre opening, and compared to the black I have on order, it looked awesome. The black just looked, I don't know, unremarkable. The grey was parked at the front, the black further in the shop.

Went back for a second look and the grey car had moved to the location the black car was. Totally different car. Didn't like it as much, either. I don't think the black can be as much a chameleon as the grey - black is black, after all.

I like the idea of having paint that appears to change colour! Oh, and having paint that isn't tricky to take proper care of is nice too.

It's so funny, I have to agree that in some lights the grey doesn't look great. It looks too "flat". Mostly inside (parking garages, etc).

But I think even if you don't love it sometimes, you're exactly right about the black. The black doesn't stand out to me to make people take a second glance. When a Tesla of any other color goes by, it begs you to look at it, even to just figure out what color it is. The black is more unidimensional.

Let us know how you like it in the end!

Well, it's official, I modified my order to Grey. After speaking with a bunch of my black car owning friends, the choice seemed obvious. All of them love their cars when they are clean, but 3 minutes after they are clean, they are dirty in one way or another. Every single one of them said "never again" would they buy a black car.

I'm sure I'll love the grey once I get it, but my fiancé won't be too happy! :)

Well, it's official, I modified my order to Grey. After speaking with a bunch of my black car owning friends, the choice seemed obvious. All of them love their cars when they are clean, but 3 minutes after they are clean, they are dirty in one way or another. Every single one of them said "never again" would they buy a black car.

I'm sure I'll love the grey once I get it, but my fiancé won't be too happy! :)

I agree about black. I will not own another black car again. Too much work to keep looking great.

That's reassuring. Still not 100% sure it was the right move. Heart vs. brain thing I guess.

What IS perhaps telling is that when I modified my order, I received an unsolicited "good choice" from my Tesla inside sales rep. :)

Here's a superficial thing that swayed me that might comfort you a bit. I hadn't really considered the grey (I had first ordered pearl white) until I read a post on one of the forums. Someone had told a poster "That looks like a car James Bond would drive". Considering I'm a mom with three kids, I have no idea why that appealed to me. But it swayed me into considering the grey which now I'm extremely happy with.

Also, a friend of mine saw my car for the first time a few days ago. Her first remark was "It's beautiful. I'm so glad you got that instead of the white!"

I don't think there's any doubt that white looks better. The car is just outstanding in that colour. Having said that, I got grey. I like to hide more in the background and not draw attention to myself. (Kind of ironic, I know, since I bought a Tesla.)

I don't think there's any doubt that white looks better. The car is just outstanding in that colour. Having said that, I got grey. I like to hide more in the background and not draw attention to myself. (Kind of ironic, I know, since I bought a Tesla.)

Ironically, I got the pearl white partly to not draw excessive attention. I think it is fairly subtle in the company parking lot.

Having said that, if the signature red was still available I would have gone for it. Way flashier than the white, but I love the color.

Ironically, I got the pearl white partly to not draw excessive attention. I think it is fairly subtle in the company parking lot.

Having said that, if the signature red was still available I would have gone for it. Way flashier than the white, but I love the color.

Absolutely have ta agree with you. I saw a Sig Red @ the Fremont SC and it was stunning in the sunlight.