Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pedelec Bikes with "Tesla batteries"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm shopping for Pedelec bike (a bicycle that "assists" the rider with a boost from an electric motor when pedaling) and several of the newer models feature the same Panasonic cells as the current generation Model S. I find it funny to read these descriptions as having "Tesla batteries", but it got me thinking. Why wouldn't Tesla (motors division) develop a Pedelec bike, especially with the newer high density cells? 1) Gigafactory capacity is already dedicated to Model 3 and Powerwall II production; 2) prohibitively expensive to develop and market an EV to a relatively small target group; 3) not sexy enough to gain any traction against the other corporate initiatives.

The biggest drawback to a lot of the current Pedelec models is the weight and bulk to deliver 17KWh to drive a 500w motor at 48v. Smaller lighter cells could be a game changer to integrate them into the frame of the bike and avoid that ugly black lump on the down tube or rear rack. Sure, it might be a loss leader, but it would be a great way to get butts into the showrooms, where the virtues of a Model 3 might just sway someone who wouldn't consider a "car", but likes the idea of pollution-free transportation. I seem to recall several failed attempts by other carmakers to bundle an auto with a bike, but as a Model S owner, I'd love to see what the design group could come up with to reflect the design aesthetic (and color palette) of our cars.

Nobody outside folks in the know at Tesla or Panasonic know for sure what a "Tesla Battery" is, or if it's equivalent is publicly available.

Of course, the could be ripping down salvage Tesla battery packs and literally using their cells. I doubt it, however. I suspect they are using cells such as the Panasonic NCR18650B or G that are surmised to be close.

Good batteries for sure, but I doubt those folks know the recipe for the special sauce that would allow them to make the claims they are...

Reactions: ThisIsTrue
Nobody outside folks in the know at Tesla or Panasonic know for sure what a "Tesla Battery" is, or if it's equivalent is publicly available.

Of course, the could be ripping down salvage Tesla battery packs and literally using their cells. I doubt it, however. I suspect they are using cells such as the Panasonic NCR18650B or G that are surmised to be close.

Good batteries for sure, but I doubt those folks know the recipe for the special sauce that would allow them to make the claims they are...
True. This trade blog has a mishmash of factoids. "Until Tesla knocked on their doors placing huge orders for cylindrical shaped cells. It is in particular Tesla’s newest Model 3 e-car that pushed battery cell makers to new highs. This affordable e-car (retailing for about 35,000 USD) needed a much extended range at smaller dimensions and weight. This called for new technology. BMZ is not the only battery maker convinced of the extraordinary features the 21700 battery cell brings to e-bikes. Taiwan based HiTech Energy even says that it will be the new standard in e-bike batteries. And that this new standard will already be there in 2018. So, what’s 21700?"

BTW, I wound up purchasing a Stromer ST2, since Tesla will never build an e-Bike... It features OTA software updates, regenerative braking and an app that lets you freeze the rear wheel and track it via GPS if someone tries to steal it. In the e-Bike world there's a lot of "The Tesla of e-Bikes" bandied about, but I think Stromer comes the closest to hitting the mark.

ST2.jpg

I found this Bloomberg article which again touts a Tesla connection to e-Bikes. "Inspired by Tesla, the Swiss bicycle entrepreneur Thomas Binggeli founded Stromer in 2008 as a way to tackle problems like traffic congestion, health, and sustainability, so I took the latest version for a ride in the City of Angels to test whether a post-car future is actually in our future."
This $10,000 E-Bike Is for Daredevils in Disguise

You can put an eBike motor on any bicycle, also a hand control and a controller. For DIY that's all you need to start with. For a battery I say look for a ready made that comes with one of your e-pliances, thus it would be 'free'. I have a pair of 40v chainsaw batteries that would work nicely on a 36v eBike motor. Are eMower batteries removable?
--

You can put an eBike motor on any bicycle, also a hand control and a controller. For DIY that's all you need to start with. For a battery I say look for a ready made that comes with one of your e-pliances, thus it would be 'free'. I have a pair of 40v chainsaw batteries that would work nicely on a 36v eBike motor. Are eMower batteries removable?
--
True... but the components of a regular bicycle are not up to the task of a speed pedelec. I'd be terrified to ride my Bianchi Eros on the city streets at 28 mph. The brakes alone aren't adequate to stop that bike with both my weight and the weight of a motor and battery added. The stress on the drivetrain, sprockets, chain, derailleurs also needs to be considered.

I suppose it all depends on what you expect to get out of an electrified bike. I wasn't looking for a moped, I wanted a bike that would assist with some added torque and speed on demand to survive the city drivers and streets. It is really satisfying to be able to pull away from an inattentive driver who's texting and eating a Big Mac while piloting a 2-ton pickup.