Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pedestrian hit and killed by Model 3 - "not a self-driving model"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MXWing

Oct 13, 2016
USA
An investigation showed Goodwin had gone into the roadway and was struck by a car heading north on Jamboree. A videographer at the location said the car was a Tesla, but Birozy said it was not a self-driving model.

19-year-old pedestrian hit, killed near Tustin Marketplace Saturday night – Orange County Register

--

Very unfortunate this happened. The make of the car would never have been mentioned if it was not a Tesla. What was particularly noteworthy was the Tustin Police Lt. said it was "not a self driving model".

The article has a picture of a cracked Model 3 windshield so I am wondering if the Lt. meant it was a Model 3 without any EAP/AP/FSD options at all.

The article does not cite who had the right of way but I am familiar with that intersection. On a green, any car would be going 50-60MPH.

Any AEB probably would not have made much difference for this kind of steel on flesh collision.

Perhaps FSD with red light detection might have made a difference IF the light was red.

Always be alert even with EAP. Many Tesla's I've seen on this road with their head BURIED into their phone.

What was particularly noteworthy was the Tustin Police Lt. said it was "not a self driving model".
Maybe that statement by the police is meant to inform the public that the car was being driven/controlled by a human at the time of the accident, i. e. the driver stated that he was not on Auto Pilot at the time. This is of course a guess on my part.

We have no way of knowing if AEB activated or not.

Wait a sec. My local newspaper reports pedestrian fatalities all the time. In fact, every auto related fatality and every gun shot fatality. This was not reported on CNN.
The first article I found was about a head on fatality and it listed the car just as a "white Nissan" but I suspect often the auto manufacturer is not mentioned.

Reactions: srs5694
Yes sad but over 15 pedestrians are killed EVERY SINGLE day in the US. So what about a report on the other 14 that were killed the same day? Only "news" because it was a Tesla.

It's the local newspaper, they will pretty much report on every pedestrian or vehicle fatality in the geographic area. They have several links to other fatalities they reported on and seems the model/manufacturer is listed about half the time. I'm guessing if the make is mentioned in the article has more to do if it is stated in the police report than it being a Tesla or not.

Calling Jamboree Road a "road" always seemed like a mischaracterization to me. It's really an interstate highway with stoplights. Hopefully the neural network training improves in the near future to prevent these sort of tragedies.

Agreed. I believe at that point, the "road" is 4+ lanes in each direction.

Due to the stoplights there is a tremendous difference between a 3SR and a 3P on Jamboree.

6 seconds in a 3SR from a stop = speed limit
6 seconds in a 3P from a stop = jail

Last edited:
Maybe that statement by the police is meant to inform the public that the car was being driven/controlled by a human at the time of the accident, i. e. the driver stated that he was not on Auto Pilot at the time. This is of course a guess on my part.

We have no way of knowing if AEB activated or not.

I think with so much talk in the news about self-driving cars in general they figure it's one of the questions people hearing about it want to know so just getting out ahead of it. And if there was footage or photos of the accident scene with the car, no doubt it would be identified as a Tesla and the questions would start. At least the paper when captioning the article didn't feel the need to lead with Tesla in the title.

I'm very sorry to hear a person, and one so young, died during this. I'm sure their family is devastated at the sudden loss and the driver of the vehicle is deeply affected too. I assume this was an accident and may not be the driver's fault depending on circumstances but still terrible all the way around.

Last edited:
Reactions: calidreamz808
Calling Jamboree Road a "road" always seemed like a mischaracterization to me. It's really an interstate highway with stoplights. Hopefully the neural network training improves in the near future to prevent these sort of tragedies.

Yes! I completely agree. I was there yesterday and at some points, there are 3-4 lanes - with stop lights. Really sad, but California is not the state to jay walk. You will get ran over.

Reactions: Rex Kramer