Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PenFed Credit Union Payment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. This is the first time I am doing an auto loan outside the auto company, so please excuse my lack of experience when doing it this way. PenFed Credit Union is mailing me the check overnight to my house and Tesla is asking me to show proof of payment before the delivery process can began. I am located in Houston, Texas and it sounds like delivery can't happen to the state since I haven't shown proof of payment. Once I receive the checks, do I just take a picture and email my Texas inside delivery advisor. Then, would I need to mail the checks to the address specified here:
Tesla Inc.
Attn: Funding Team
6800 Dumbarton Circle
Fremont, CA 94555

I just want to know if this is the normal process or at least how it has been done for Texas residents. It just seems odd that they won't have the car shipped over to Texas and want payment before the can ship it here.

Hi all. This is the first time I am doing an auto loan outside the auto company, so please excuse my lack of experience when doing it this way. PenFed Credit Union is mailing me the check overnight to my house and Tesla is asking me to show proof of payment before the delivery process can began. I am located in Houston, Texas and it sounds like delivery can't happen to the state since I haven't shown proof of payment. Once I receive the checks, do I just take a picture and email my Texas inside delivery advisor. Then, would I need to mail the checks to the address specified here:
Tesla Inc.
Attn: Funding Team
6800 Dumbarton Circle
Fremont, CA 94555

I just want to know if this is the normal process or at least how it has been done for Texas residents. It just seems odd that they won't have the car shipped over to Texas and want payment before the can ship it here.

Like @OCR1 , I am also in california and dont know the tesla specifics. I am just going to suggest you see if you can send that check via some trackable method, like fedex / UPS with a tracking number you can easily track, if tesla will accept it that way.

I am fairly sure that texas is different because they dont allow tesla sales inside the state so the car needs to be paid for in full before (as then its just transporting YOUR car that you purchased out of state).

Hopefully someone from texas will reply for you

• Helpful
Reactions: AlanSqB
Like @OCR1 , I am also in california and dont know the tesla specifics. I am just going to suggest you see if you can send that check via some trackable method, like fedex / UPS with a tracking number you can easily track, if tesla will accept it that way.

I am fairly sure that texas is different because they dont allow tesla sales inside the state so the car needs to be paid for in full before (as then its just transporting YOUR car that you purchased out of state).

Hopefully someone from texas will reply for you
Thanks for your input. Once I receive the check, I plan to take a pic and send it over to my delivery advisor. Then I will also mail it fedex overnight with a tracking number to ensure safe and quick delivery.

If any Texas residents want to share their experience, then please do.

Interesting, I did my financing through BofA and they wired teh $$. When I went to pick up, they were actually surprised that I was paid in full at teh time of delivery. Essentially, it sounded like they were expecting me to have a check. I would simply check with the delivery center (where you are actually picking up, not the person over the email) what the policy is. I jumped through some hoops that in the end I dont think I needed to.

Interesting, I did my financing through BofA and they wired teh $$. When I went to pick up, they were actually surprised that I was paid in full at teh time of delivery. Essentially, it sounded like they were expecting me to have a check. I would simply check with the delivery center (where you are actually picking up, not the person over the email) what the policy is. I jumped through some hoops that in the end I dont think I needed to.

Your location shows florida though... Is tesla allowed to sell in florida?

Yes, I live in South Florida and picked up my car in Central Florida at the Orlando Service Center. They sell a TON out here.

Ok, so then its different than the OPs issue, because tesla is not allowed to sell into Texas. Tesla absolutely allows people to bring a check on delivery (I did as well as many others) in places they can actually sell the car. Texas issue is different, in that since texas does not allow sales of tesla in the state, buyers have to buy out of state... which may be one reason why payment is required ahead.

Just pointing out that experiences of people in states that tesla is allowed to sell is not applicable to OPs situation, so OP really needs a texan or someone from someplace that has similar rules as texas to let OP know what their experience was.

• Informative
Reactions: VQTRVA
Good point, IMO, always a good angle to ask and see of course. I have used PenFed for cars in the past as well as Home Financing and they are great to work with and usually the best rates. I got lucky with a really good BofA rate on the used car. Beat PenFed by about 1/4%

Ok, so then its different than the OPs issue, because tesla is not allowed to sell into Texas. Tesla absolutely allows people to bring a check on delivery (I did as well as many others) in places they can actually sell the car. Texas issue is different, in that since texas does not allow sales of tesla in the state, buyers have to buy out of state... which may be one reason why payment is required ahead.

Just pointing out that experiences of people in states that tesla is allowed to sell is not applicable to OPs situation, so OP really needs a texan or someone from someplace that has similar rules as texas to let OP know what their experience was.

I can't believe Texas is so difficult by not allowing direct sales. I confirmed with my advisor that Tesla needs confirmed payment. I have to mail in my check from my credit union, and plan to over night versus regular USPS to expedite the process. PenFed doesn't do ACH for anyone that opts this route for financing, or at least that is what I was told.

Texas buyer here. I'm rather certain you must send the check to Tesla before they will ship the car to you or, if the car is already in Texas, before they will release the car to you. This is how it was for all three Teslas that I've bought: Tesla had to have money in hand before they would ship or release the car. And, since it's Texas, you can't give them the money when you pick the car up because the transaction is not allowed to occur in Texas.

Texas buyer here. I'm rather certain you must send the check to Tesla before they will ship the car to you or, if the car is already in Texas, before they will release the car to you. This is how it was for all three Teslas that I've bought: Tesla had to have money in hand before they would ship or release the car. And, since it's Texas, you can't give them the money when you pick the car up because the transaction is not allowed to occur in Texas.
Yes, you are right and thanks for the input. It's new to me as this is my first Tesla and always just purchased with financing same day at a dealership. I am sure it will all be worth it, just a little anxious as it is holding up the process by a few days.

My credit union (RBFCU) overnighted the check to Tesla in Vegas. The very nice credit union rep was so kind that she took the check to UPS on her way home because by the time we finished all the paperwork (it was all done online and on the phone; I never left my office) and the credit union had cut the check we had missed the latest pickup at the building's UPS and FedEx dropboxes.