Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

People are crazy not to buy Tesla cars!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sanny

Jul 7, 2013
US
I mean, at this point *everyone knows that this EM guy is crazy and talks nonsense*, but I got an epiphany today and realized that people are crazy not to buy Tesla cars. Sorry if you've heard it before.
$35k Model 3 even without tax credit is cheaper in 5 years than Honda Civic if you drive around 20k miles\year - these are easy to prove numbers (I'll skip the math).
So here's the question: why companies do not buy fleets of Model 3's as company cars, for the taxi, etc. The math is convincing, the car is designed for fleet operations - management app, safety features (even with no autopilot), built in sentry mode, dashcam, low maintenance, high mileage design, etc.
The only drawbacks I can come up with are:
- in case of an accident a (reportedly) long time to fix
- not super comfy back seat design (offset by the novelty of the brand for now I think)

I almost wanted to crowdfund a taxi company right away but remembered there is no such thing now in Uber times.

So my only guesses why people are not buying even more Tesla cars are:
-people are crazy
-people are super conservative in car purchases and it will take time

P.S. As a side effect, I think, if ever we will see a fully operational Tesla network, people and companies will be as slow to see the opportunity which right under their noses and I will finally start a *robo*taxi company.

Change my mind

• Funny
Reactions: cwerdna
I think the economy of Model 3 makes it completely different than Model S and X or Roadster. My point is not about great cars, but about cars that are economically unbeatable for mass use.

I run a transportation service that uses Tesla Xes.

Biggest challenge we face is Charging, and long repair times.

Even with the extensive superchargers in SoCal (we're San Diego, CA and Jacksonville, FL based), my chauffeurs spend so much time at the superchargers, waiting for a charge (so that they can actually get to their destinations.

Also, we've had long long repair times for our Model Xes, been rear ended a bunch, and one X got totaled a couple months ago. Sad, because it was going strong after 170k+ miles. But at least our chauffeur was not seriously injured, and there were no clients in the vehicle.

I run a transportation service that uses Tesla Xes.

Biggest challenge we face is Charging, and long repair times.

Even with the extensive superchargers in SoCal (we're San Diego, CA and Jacksonville, FL based), my chauffeurs spend so much time at the superchargers, waiting for a charge (so that they can actually get to their destinations.

Also, we've had long long repair times for our Model Xes, been rear ended a bunch, and one X got totaled a couple months ago. Sad, because it was going strong after 170k+ miles. But at least our chauffeur was not seriously injured, and there were no clients in the vehicle.
Thanks for sharing! Very interesting. Operationally and financially - do Model X make more sense vs ICE SUV (I see you have both options) or it just helps to attract customers?

So my only guesses why people are not buying even more Tesla cars are:

Here's some more for you.

Customer service is a spectacular mess. I have considered buying a Bolt rather than a Tesla just to avoid the horrendous wait times on the phone, runarounds with my information being dropped, etc. So far this has shown very few signs of being fixed, and for 5 years it was getting worse and worse.

Until recently, I had to take my car 250 miles away to get any repairs done. That's a bit of a disincentive. (This is being fixed with new Service centers opening.)

If you like to sit upright, the seats are NOT comfy.

OK, those are the only I reasons I can think of to buy a car that isn't a Tesla!

...the customer service / repair thing is really very serious though.

I agree with the service as it is spotty especially for mobile service. They had scheduled me twice and they never contacted me so I fell through the cracks! I was able to schedule service locally in Tampa that worked out great. Seems like the mobile service is rogue and works without coordination from the central service call center.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
Right now my experience with customer service, people are crazy to consider buying a Tesla. I have discouraged 3 buyers so far.

I have had nothing but amazing experience with service. Don't know about customer service but other companies typically refuse anything you ask for, where is my experience Tesla will always work with you. Maybe this applies only to MS/MX owners who spent a lot of money.

Reactions: Richt and dhrivnak
Right now my experience with customer service, people are crazy to consider buying a Tesla. I have discouraged 3 buyers so far.

That was my experience also. Service and parts availability was so horrendous that I couldn't take it any longer and wrote a big, almost 5 digit check to pay off the lease on my P90D 6 months ahead of schedule.

Good example of putting your money where your mouth is. Sad, but that's what it took to make the pain go away.

Like you, I now tell people to look past the hype, and understand reality.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden and cwerdna
Here's some more for you.

Customer service is a spectacular mess. I have considered buying a Bolt rather than a Tesla just to avoid the horrendous wait times on the phone, runarounds with my information being dropped, etc. So far this has shown very few signs of being fixed, and for 5 years it was getting worse and worse.

Until recently, I had to take my car 250 miles away to get any repairs done. That's a bit of a disincentive. (This is being fixed with new Service centers opening.)

If you like to sit upright, the seats are NOT comfy.

OK, those are the only I reasons I can think of to buy a car that isn't a Tesla!

...the customer service / repair thing is really very serious though.

What model do you own? Did you buy it used or new? Have you had issues with your Tesla?

so.. first RHD Model 3 are due to arrive next month ( July) in UK. I'm told my order is in this batch
One big saving for us is fuel costs. Our friends in the US enjoy really low Diesel costs compared with UK. During my last visit I was told to leave deposit before I fuel up (not normal in UK) so I left $100 and she said to much ??
Cost of Diesel in UK approx $8.20 per gallon against US Cost Approx $2.50 ? So for me will be big saving in fuel alone.
Looking forward to July .... am i Crazy then ? :)

We live in Boston and have a 2 year old X P90, and the service center in Watertown is amazing. We had a problem with the suspension and brought the car in at 10am. We were given a brand new X p100 loaner for the day. They called me at 2pm to tell me they were done. When i got there, my car had been washed and vacummed and get this. they applied rainex to the windsheild because i had made a comment about the Beta wipers werent that great. He said the rainex improves the function because there is less smearing, which decreases the sensitivity of the wiper function. I know they are having growing pains, but if you live in the Boston area, I would definately go to watertown rather than the Dedham location. Watertown was the first center in the area and they really seem to know what they are doing.

Reactions: Richt
That was my experience also. Service and parts availability was so horrendous that I couldn't take it any longer and wrote a big, almost 5 digit check to pay off the lease on my P90D 6 months ahead of schedule.

Good example of putting your money where your mouth is. Sad, but that's what it took to make the pain go away.

Like you, I now tell people to look past the hype, and understand reality.
I've always had great service both mobile and at the service centers. No complaints, timely and effective.

Wow. Not been my experience. I have been very pleased with their service. Mobile service has worked well (even in Michigan where Tesla service centers are not allowed.)

As far as getting ahold of Tesla, I have found that using their online support chat service works well. Usually get connected to someone within 5 minutes or less and been very helpful.

Granted, I haven’t been in an accident and overall my car has been great. So that may change things. Hopefully I never find out.

LOL. I ordered a SR M3 but cancelled it. It drives me nuts when people compare the price of a M3 with MSRP of other vehicles. Am I crazy for likely leasing a 2020 Corolla and using Comma AI self driving tech? At likely sub $190/month I doubt it. If M3s will cost less than a Civic/Corolla then why are leases $545/month before savings?

I would LOVE nothing more than to have a M3 but it's still a $40k vehicle however you look at it. How much are repairs going to be past 48k miles? ICE vehicles are sucky but at least they are mechanical devices with numerous repair and replacement options. I can't justify even a used MS because if a MCU or DU die and Tesla says it's going to be $3k or $5k or even $10k then what other choice do I have?

Do you really believe depreciation will be less on a $40k M3 vs a $16k Corolla/Civic? You can get a $0 deductible 8 year/120k Hondacare warranty online for $1000 for a Civic. How much do you think it's be to cover a M3 for that period?

I'm not even going to talk about an accident bodywork. Scary stuff.

You may luck out, but only a fool believes that it is a financially smart investment. I'm not saying it's not worth it, but it's too much for me.

• Disagree
Reactions: Richt and cwerdna