Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

People waiting at SuperCharger didn't take an open spot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So went to a popular super charger in Rancho Cucomonga, by a shopping center. There are always people waiting and a line, and it's all honor system, no attendant.

But when I went to go to the back of the line, there was a charging station not being used. I thought maybe it was broken, but I decided to park in it anyways to see what would happen. I plug it in, and it charges as it should be. So I cut in front of like 5 Teslas waiting in line because non of them attempted to take an open spot that has probably been sitting around for at least a couple minutes or several minutes. I assume they couldn't see it since it was way in the back and out of sight for most of the line waiters.

I even walked over to the other Teslas, but non of them seem to noticed I just cut in front of all of them, so I decided to just accept that no one saw me cut in front of them so I just didn't say anything. It was their fault they waited in line without being vigilant for open spots.

And not having to wait was gonna be better. I even decided to come back early without a full charge since I had more than enough to make it back home, and it was nighttime so I didn't feel like waiting around any longer and decided to super charge in the daytime.

That place is horrible, I came there once, and the line was like 10 cars deep. Makes me happy to live in a location where there’s plenty of superchargers around. After seeing the line, I just said screw it, and drove back home w/ like 20% left.

That place is horrible, I came there once, and the line was like 10 cars deep. Makes me happy to live in a location where there’s plenty of superchargers around. After seeing the line, I just said screw it, and drove back home w/ like 20% left.

if everyone thinks like this, this is the reason why there are long lines

do people really go out of their way just to get a bit of charge? if i can make it home, i dont even bother to stop..

Well in the the not so distant past there were no or few lines at superchargers. I've been to the Rancho Cucomonga one over a year ago and it was half full, so my instinct prior to reading this would have been to stop by if in the area. No longer.

There needs to be a queue process for the SC.

Yes.... as you approach, the SC location detects your arrival and a prompt on the screen asks whether you will be charging. Upon response the screen tells the approximate waiting time. When your time arriives it directs you to the correct stall and after attachment only begins charging if you are the correct vehicle.

Reactions: Donz_S
Yes.... as you approach, the SC location detects your arrival and a prompt on the screen asks whether you will be charging. Upon response the screen tells the approximate waiting time. When your time arriives it directs you to the correct stall and after attachment only begins charging if you are the correct vehicle.
For locations that are busy, they should have the time limit be a software feature. There's no good having a sign saying 40 minutes only if the charging doesn't cut off after 40 minutes.

So went to a popular super charger in Rancho Cucomonga, by a shopping center. There are always people waiting and a line, and it's all honor system, no attendant.

But when I went to go to the back of the line, there was a charging station not being used. I thought maybe it was broken, but I decided to park in it anyways to see what would happen. I plug it in, and it charges as it should be. So I cut in front of like 5 Teslas waiting in line because non of them attempted to take an open spot that has probably been sitting around for at least a couple minutes or several minutes. I assume they couldn't see it since it was way in the back and out of sight for most of the line waiters.

I even walked over to the other Teslas, but non of them seem to noticed I just cut in front of all of them, so I decided to just accept that no one saw me cut in front of them so I just didn't say anything. It was their fault they waited in line without being vigilant for open spots.

And not having to wait was gonna be better. I even decided to come back early without a full charge since I had more than enough to make it back home, and it was nighttime so I didn't feel like waiting around any longer and decided to super charge in the daytime.

The reason you are posting this is because ? :confused:

Just wait till all the M3 owners deplete their 6 months of free supercharging and things should stabilize ;)

Yeah I'm trying to take advantage of my free supercharging while I still have 6 months. It will be gone by end of June since I took delivery on NYE 2018.

I am sort of against making super charging free, especially those free for life. But I am being a huge hypocrite.

But when something is free for many, it doesn't really feel free if you have to share with others and wait a long time. It'd be nice if they can price the supercharging where it's still cheap, but slightly more expensive than charging at home. Just so those who are close to home will choose to charge at home rather than supercharge.

Also, right now, I am still using 110V outlet so my charging is super slow. 110W gets me a full charge overnight only if I commute around 30 miles round trip, or use about 10-15% of my battery from 90% initial. But if I do longer trips, like one county over type of driving that takes 1-2 hours, then 110W isn't going to work and I will have to eventually supercharge.

Kind of like when some fast casual places have free food day, and you see the line is like over an hour for a $8-10 meal.

Last edited:
I once went to a restaurant in NYC and waited in line with a bunch of guys for the bathroom. After 5minutes, I realized there is never a line for the men's room anywhere, so I cut in front of them and went in to the empty bathroom. No one bothered to check if the door was locked or if the bathroom was occupied.

People are lemmings. They will wait in line to go inside a NFL stadium instead of using the 9 other open doors without a line.

Reactions: wenkan
I once went to a restaurant in NYC and waited in line with a bunch of guys for the bathroom. After 5minutes, I realized there is never a line for the men's room anywhere, so I cut in front of them and went in to the empty bathroom. No one bothered to check if the door was locked or if the bathroom was occupied.

People are lemmings. They will wait in line to go inside a NFL stadium instead of using the 9 other open doors without a line.

Huh? And they let you do that? Shouldn't you have yielded to the first guy in line once you found out it was unoccupied?

Huh? And they let you do that? Shouldn't you have yielded to the first guy in line once you found out it was unoccupied?

Well, the first guy didn't make a move to take the open spot. Since I was driving up seeing cars wait in line, then saw that open spot nobody took.

To me, if nobody saw anything, then why not take advantage of the situation. Their fault for leaving a spot open for several minutes, wasting their own time. I even walked over to those cars and non of them said anything, so I assumed they did not see me cut in front of them.

So you're proud of being a line cutter? And then because nobody wanted to start a fight, you think it's ok?

You even admit that you took advantage of the situation.

A person with morals would have gone up to the first car in line and pointed out the spot they didn't see.

What kind of person does that make you?

Reactions: Big City and Donz_S
It is not at all difficult to have done the correct thing: Go to the first vehicle in line and ask "Did you know there is a slot open? Is it not working or aren't you aware?"

It also is reasonable to assume that the rest of the line-waiters were being courteous and doing the right thing: waiting in line, and assuming that each vehicle in front of them also were so acting.

The one time I saw a line jumper was at Cabazon. There were about 8 of us waiting in line; the one open slot was out of service. Someone came into the lot from the same direction as the wait-line, passed all of us and jumped into the empty slot. Plugged in without noticing the situation and the car emptied out, all heading to the mall.

A great mixture of karmic payback and collective guffaws from all of us waiting in line.

WHY CAN'T PEOPLE DO THE RIGHT THING?