Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Percent of M3 Reservation Holders going AWD vs RWD

All Wheel Drive or Rear Wheel Drive?

• AWD

• RWD

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why did Tesla decide Model 3 AWD Reservations order doesn't matter? I was nearly 1st in line in CO, waiting in snow for hours.

Tesla called last night to ask if I configured my Model 3, I said most reservations holders in Colorado want AWD for mountain snow as I did.

I asked if I would retain my reservation order for the AWD and was told No, that any reservation holder already offered to configure their Model 3 will be able to configure on the same day. Whether you are #107 like me or the 200,000th behind me who ordered online! That must be my special gift Elon mentioned, getting burned.

If the 200,000th person can get on line a few hours sooner then me the day it's available, they could get their AWD months before me. I made them repeat this multiple times to make sure that was their current plan. They said yes, and email feedback@tesla if want to complain and maybe change that plan.

I asked the Tesla rep if the above could happen, when he said yes I said, "please explain to me what benefit to me it was for standing in the snow storm to reserve the Model 3?" The silence was deafening.

I'm not sure if I've heard a stupider customer service decision.

have a 70D and want the 3 really bad, will be selling the S for a couple reasons, want the 3 now....but after thinking about it and hearing from my circle of Tesla owners, AWD in New England is the way to go....as long as it comes out in April/May will look forward to AWD and hopefully another interior color like TAN....
I was planning on picking up the RWD M3 for RI driving. Everyone I spoke with said snow tires are just as good as AWD. Thoughts?

In years gone by - I found front wheel drive significantly out performed RWD. Even with good snow tires, my T-Bird could not navigate Colorado ski resort approaches. With street tires my Turbo Saab made the trip look easy. Now we are talking about a much heavier car with a Tesla Model S - and one with newly designed suspension, center of gravity, and designs from a company that did not inherit the past.
I believe snow tires help a lot. I believe studs help a lot. Both depending on the temperature of the ice/snow.
With no experience in a M3 - cannot say that "it will be fine". But I'm inclined to think a good set of tires on a newly minted suspension will be awesome. Get it while you can!!