Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Percent or Miles & Why?

Percent or Miles

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If anyone must use miles, then use the energy consumption graph, set in a route and watch the trip screen. That is more accurate than the miles screen. But even using it, there are so many things that effect mileage. You might think you have 50 miles left, then you turn on the heat or A/C or crank up the tunes, and you mileage will drop quickly.

There's about a billion anecdotes of folks getting 5-10 miles back this way. Saw at least 2 on here today.

Here's one for example:

Sheltering in Place - Charge or not

Guy went from 290 back up to 297-299 displayed range by doing this.

When you're only talking a loss of 20~25 miles in the first place (310 original to mid 280s in the case of the guy I was replying to) that's substantial...20-40% of the perceived "loss"

Yeah, you have to be careful of bad data points. Of course there are situations of imbalance or whatever, which do occur if you never charge up the battery high enough, and you could recover significant miles. It could also be temperature. But generally not the norm to see that much and have it be carefully documented (TeslaFi and Stats data do not count due to those data points all being erroneous for battery temps below 60 degrees). Anyway, he is talking about a recovery of 3 miles more than what I said could happen - and note he said “~”. So it could have been less - and depends on what % it was extrapolated from.

Also, note that in the case of loss of rated range due to imbalance, the number represents an actual lack of capacity. It is just recoverable.

My point is that the rated miles number is usually quite consistent - surprisingly so -and assuming that there is not some sort of issue with the estimate, it represents a real loss of capacity if you see less than the original number. It’s actually fantastically, surprisingly accurate (neglecting cold weather, etc.).

And most importantly: the capacity of your battery can easily be verified with a carefully monitored charging event, using the charging efficiency published by Tesla. That is one of the best ways to see where you are at, as it does not rely on the energy meter in the car and can be compared to other owners’ results.

I like displaying the miles.

Because: More resolution.

On a trip it’s fun to see how often I can beat it. LR RWD, I often burn fewer miles than displayed on long trips, and I drive pretty fast.

I have no range anxiety unless I look at my destination % remaining and see it dropping... but at that point there is plenty of time to do something about it.

I just did a trip from Toronto to Florida over 3 days. Using miles. Perhaps % would be better as we definitely had range anxiety on the very first leg going there (car was telling us to go 20kph slower than limit to get to next stop - even though there was a station on the way we could recharge at) and also coming home through Virginia mountains. Will have to give it a try

Everyone is talking about how inaccurate the cars calculations are for miles, however the car has no idea how you will drive it during the remaining miles. Until we eliminate humans, it wil never be very accurate.

It does have an idea. It's a moving estimate based on your efficiency, adjusted for the elevation and speed of the remaining trip.

The net effect is that it is good enough for any practical use.

Yes I can adjust my habits - within reasonable road context - have surplus of deficit of the estimates. But it's always within a few percentages points. And it goes both ways - meaning the estimates are neutral.

Which really really means, if I have projected 10% left at destination, short of a sudden 30mph headwind and 50* Fahrenheit temperature drop, I'm going to arrive at destination clear and well.

The other consolation about EV is running into traffic won't dent the efficiency

Mile for me. It's not that hard for me figure out if I'm getting miles wise with a quick glance. I can keep the wh/mi open while driving without taking up the entire screen. If I'm below 230 wh/mi then Im getting exactly what the miles gauge says (or better). Percentage requires too much of my attention converting numbers, having the energy graph blocking the entire screen. I regularly beat the navigations range estimate, so I'm less concerned.

Reactions: Paul-K