Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Percent or Miles & Why?

Percent or Miles

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I prefer percent. I'm rarely in a situation where I would find myself at very low levels so it does not seem important to know how much range is left. Although when I am or intend to be, I prefer to use the Energy screen as it provides real-time range and range based on my recent consumption.

Percent is the fuel gauge. Miles is like an inaccurate "destination to empty" reading.

Last edited:
I also use % and on long trips the Energy screen, toggling the calculation period. After all, both % and distance are driven by algorithms, but the % algorithms tend to be less prone to error.

Several of my acquaintances prefer distance, simply maintaining remaining trip distance higher than remaning available distance. I understand that preference.

My own preferences are probably conditioned by years flying long distances in airplanes, where energy consumption is largest at the beginning and declines as fuel burns off. Wind and weather are always large factors in planning and flight. When I first began driving Tesla, in 2013, I just transferred my airplane habits, so always considered altitude changes, wind, driving speed, load, precipitation and temperature. Now, in 2020, all that is vast overkill because there are abundant superchargers and other options, so it simply tends to be irrelevant. Old habits die ahrd, so I continue in my traditional ways.

Today it simply doesn't matter much almost anywhere in North America or Europe, and in the most populous parts of everywhere from Japan and China to New Zealand and Australia. When one leaves those area, trip planning becomes a more complex process, so the choice between distance or % still becomes one of personal preference.

Percent. The miles are calc'd at a fixed consumption rate which can make it wildly inaccurate.

In town, our SR+ could probably easily get 260+ miles. However, on the interstate going north during a "capacity test" I ran back in January, I only got 154 miles out of 96% of the battery.

Reactions: ofcorona
I was doing KMs for the first few weeks, and eventually switched to %. I found percentage just an easier gage to work off of. If ever was below 20% I would swap to KMs for a moment to see what the actual (projected) KMs would allow me to keep driving.

I like miles as a rough gauge of whether I'll be able to make my trip. I know it isn't 100% accurate but if I'm driving somewhere that is 40 miles away, and it says I have 100 miles, I know I can probably make it. If it says 20% or 30%... it takes me longer to figure out if I can make that trip. Also, I've found that the miles is actually pretty accurate if I am driving normally and not going crazy on the accelerator or driving through lots of elevation changes.

In the old days, we would take our car out until it ran out of gas.
I have had so many cars without a functioning gas gauge. In the
leaf, the GOM was really good above half full. The leaf spy was very
good below that.
After a few trips you will know all of this, so do what feels good.

Percent 99% of the time, Distance sometimes when charging.

Percent is nice when using A Better Routeplanner, you can see how you're doing compared to the estimate and adjust if necessary. But when charging, using Distance will tell you the net power going to the battery (after climate control and battery heating) on L2 chargers whereas Percent will tell you the power being received from the station, not necessarily what's currently going into the battery. This does not apply to L3 charging however.

% is more useful for driving, miles is more useful while selling.

Tesla does not use a learning-style range meter so miles is not your best driving choice. Now that EVs have more than 200 miles of range, you can use the % or bar graph to mimic what you'd see in a gasoline auto.

EVs with learning-style meters are more useful set to miles. Since they monitor your current driving conditions, they can usually come up with an accurate range estimate for each trip.

In terms of dealing with range anxiety, you might want to play around with setting a nav destination even when traveling someplace you know well. If you are going to be in danger of needing a charge the navigation system will route you thru a supercharger, and if it doesn't then you know you are good to go.

Alternatively, plug your route into ABRP (abetterrouteplanner.com) ahead of time and see what it says. Compare your actual performance to what it predicted to get a sense of how it matches your real world conditions.

Even just doing this a few times will start to give you a sense of what's fine, what's marginal, and what definitely will need a supercharger stop. Once you have that sense, range anxiety will be a thing of the past.

In terms of dealing with range anxiety, you might want to play around with setting a nav destination even when traveling someplace you know well.

I do this. Pretty much any time I am going to leave town for any reason, I would go route plan vs looking at miles or battery capacity.

Another thing I should have mentioned - I started just keeping numbers in my head about % per hour when charging, or % used when I drive to work or my wife drives to her work, etc. Helps if I want to skip a day charging or lean up my charge limit based on a 10% commute, etc.