Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Perelli PZ4 or Michelin PS4S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
but thats the issue. everyone just knows that the pirellis are worse. its not even a discussion. I find this painful too - there is no real choice on the market coz the michelins are just so much better for not much more or the same price.

It's inevitable though that the Michelin PS4S will be less efficient than the original tire, perhaps significantly so. The high-efficiency tires inevitably have compromises in other areas, and so a tire which doesn't try to be high efficiency EV can surpass in many performance and grip areas.

I've just pulled the trigger on ordering Pirilli P Zero PZ4 Sport; 295/35 ZR20 105W (Front) on 10-in, X 20-in wheels, +40 offset; 325/30 ZR20 106Y (Rear) on 11-in X 20-in wheels +45 offset, the front tires are "Elect PNCS", which have a foam insulation layered in belt compound for quieter ride designed for electric sports sedans, the rears are designed for high sports coupes w/o the insulation layer. I'm running, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 285/35 ZR20 & 315/30 ZR20 with Unplugged Performance UP-3 wheels; I've got rear adjustable camber arms, lowering brackets; custom aligned in the lowered position, with a 2022 Plaid. I've got 17,800 miles on current tires with about 40 - 50% tread, but getting a wear strip about 1/2 in wide near inner shoulders on the rear that just below the tread. I'm driving to Pikes Peak Hill climb race, from southern Cali, this coming weekend. Stock Plaid 21-in are offset 28.3-in tall, 10,4-in wide on 9.5-in wheels; front; 28-in tall, 11.6-in wide rear...the 295/35 -20 are 28.1-in tall, 11.6-in wide; 325/30 -20 are 27.7-in tall...so the 295 & 325's will be closer to stock height, -.2 in. front & rear, but .4 in wider, front & rear; should fit , only had two choices in tires in 295/30-20, 315/30-20, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 or Pirelli P Zero PZ4 Sport; Pirelli's were the only choice if I was driving to Colorado, Michelin Cup 2 tires are not rain tires by any means...wanted try this size combo out, see how it goes, I'll hang on the 4S's & hang them in the garage.

Has anyone heard of traction problems with Pirelli PZ4 tires? The summer tires for my 2018 M3P needed replacing about 2 months ago, and my tire guy said the OEM-approved Michelin PS4S were out of stock so he recommended the PZ4s because they were "Tesla approved."

Soon after getting the tires replaced, I noticed occasionally when I accelerated or went over a bump at a good speed, I would lose power for a second, which I think is from one of the motors thinking the tire is slipping. I've made sure the winter/summer tire setting has been updated on the controls. I spent almost $2K for these tires and now don't have the reliable acceleration I had for the first 4 years with my PS4S tires.

I took the car to Tesla, and they said there are "no authorized tires other than PZ4S for the Model 3 Performance."

Any thoughts, including where I can sell a set of gently used PZ4 tires?

Has anyone heard of traction problems with Pirelli PZ4 tires? The summer tires for my 2018 M3P needed replacing about 2 months ago, and my tire guy said the OEM-approved Michelin PS4S were out of stock so he recommended the PZ4s because they were "Tesla approved."

Soon after getting the tires replaced, I noticed occasionally when I accelerated or went over a bump at a good speed, I would lose power for a second, which I think is from one of the motors thinking the tire is slipping. I've made sure the winter/summer tire setting has been updated on the controls. I spent almost $2K for these tires and now don't have the reliable acceleration I had for the first 4 years with my PS4S tires.

I took the car to Tesla, and they said there are "no authorized tires other than PZ4S for the Model 3 Performance."

Any thoughts, including where I can sell a set of gently used PZ4 tires?
@jelarv Some possible contributors:

1. New tire grease is very real in my experience! If these are brand new tires with just a handful of miles, do NOT try to hoon around in them right away, and don't judge their grip immediately. Wear through the manufacturing grease first. A couple hundred miles should do it, maybe less I'm not really sure. But 10 miles, for example, was NOT enough to wear off that grease last time I tried pushing brand new tires hard!

2. Check your tire pressures. Did the shop overflate them higher than you were using before? Overinflation will reduce traction. For some reason tire shops always want to overinflate my M3P to 45 PSI cold even though the door sticker says 42 PSI cold - and I think even 42 PSI is too high for best traction, 40 PSI cold or even slightly less feels better, depending on the tire. (Then again, since you're still on stock 20" sizing I'd be very cautious about potentially under inflating. Probably best to stick with 42 PSI cold exactly in that size. I'm on 245/45R18 now so I have less risk of rim damage or pinch flats than with the stock 235/35R20 rubberbands.)

3. As you can see from this thread...a majority of us feel the PZ4 just aren't very good for the category. I haven't used the PS4S myself, but I can say the Bridgestone Potenza Sport easily outgripped the PZ4, dry and wet. I don't doubt the PS4S does as well, so it's possible you're used to a better performing tire.

That said the PZ4 did generally feel like a performance tire, just not a particularly good one. If your grip levels feel so bad it's like driving on MXM4 eco garbage, then there's probably other factors involved (e.g. points 1 and/or 2) besides the PZ4 being mediocre for its category.

@jelarv Some possible contributors:

1. New tire grease is very real in my experience! If these are brand new tires with just a handful of miles, do NOT try to hoon around in them right away, and don't judge their grip immediately. Wear through the manufacturing grease first. A couple hundred miles should do it, maybe less I'm not really sure. But 10 miles, for example, was NOT enough to wear off that grease last time I tried pushing brand new tires hard!

2. Check your tire pressures. Did the shop overflate them higher than you were using before? Overinflation will reduce traction. For some reason tire shops always want to overinflate my M3P to 45 PSI cold even though the door sticker says 42 PSI cold - and I think even 42 PSI is too high for best traction, 40 PSI cold or even slightly less feels better, depending on the tire. (Then again, since you're still on stock 20" sizing I'd be very cautious about potentially under inflating. Probably best to stick with 42 PSI cold exactly in that size. I'm on 245/45R18 now so I have less risk of rim damage or pinch flats than with the stock 235/35R20 rubberbands.)

3. As you can see from this thread...a majority of us feel the PZ4 just aren't very good for the category. I haven't used the PS4S myself, but I can say the Bridgestone Potenza Sport easily outgripped the PZ4, dry and wet. I don't doubt the PS4S does as well, so it's possible you're used to a better performing tire.

That said the PZ4 did generally feel like a performance tire, just not a particularly good one. If your grip levels feel so bad it's like driving on MXM4 eco garbage, then there's probably other factors involved (e.g. points 1 and/or 2) besides the PZ4 being mediocre for its category.
Thanks! I've driven at least 500 miles since the tires were replaced and the tire pressure is at 42 for all four. I noticed the problem within a day of having the tires replaced and said to myself I should let them get worn it a bit before making any judgment. The problem now is I've driven on them for 6 weeks and suspect I'm stuck with them. I spoke to my tire place on Friday and they're going to "investigate" the situation and see what they can do.