Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Perfect 2012 Five Star NHTSA Safety Ratings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
George said at the Toronto opening the other night that the NHTSA have ordered their cars (I think he said 3) on-line and are awaiting delivery like the rest of us. Once they get them, they'll smash 'em up and report the results. Tesla has done a bunch of their own tests which were used to get the cars certified for road use in the US and Canada. I'm not sure if those results ever get posted.

Does tesla reimburse them?

I'm guessing the key is is "Though NHTSA is unable to rate every car, all vehicles sold in the U.S. must meet Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards". This indicates that the manufacturer has sent in their own test results to NHTSA, which I believe are not actually done in-house but at one of the companies that specializes in crash testing. NHTSA probably sends some of the cars they purchase to the same companies although they probably have their own testing facilities as well.

It's like the MPG figures (except in this case the results are published unless NHTSA tests the cars themselves) where only a portion of the cars are actually tested by the EPA (either randomly selected or selected on purpose if there something special about that particular car).