Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Perfect 2012 Five Star NHTSA Safety Ratings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WhiteKnight

_____ P85 #549 _____ Sig Red / Sig White
Jun 27, 2011
Atlanta
Model S will NOT be the first because the 2012 Chevy Camaro has already aced the test:

The Chevy Camaro coupe is the first vehicle to earn a perfect score in National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's safety testing since the federal testing procedures were revised for 2011, according to Examiner.com. While other vehicles have earned an overall NHTSA 5-Star Safety Rating, the Camaro was the first to score a perfect five-star rating in all six test categories.

2012 Chevrolet Camaro becomes first car to ace all NHTSA safety tests

As was pointed out in TM forum, the Camaro lacks front collision warning system and lane departure warning system. You cannot earn stars in that cateegory, just a mere check mark. A "perfect score" rating should include these.

Do we know if the Model S has these systems? I can't recall ever hearing them mentioned.

I recall it being *assumed* that Model S would have these standard so that they could get the 5 star rating. With this new info in mind though, it's perfectly reasonable to also assume they'd forgo these (maybe have them as options), if there's no additional bragging rights for having them. What would they say? 5 star in every category, and checked every box?

GM having been bailed out by the government, was sometimes jokingly called "Government Motors".
Possibly not too surprising that a strong emphasis has been put on making cars that will now get top marks on the government safety tests.

On the other hand, I wonder how well the new "Spark" will do in crash safety...?

So that was 4 stars on an old European test?
I think the 2012 USA test might be 'harder', so there is a chance it might get different results.
Well, at least it looks like it is good enough that it isn't going to be an outright "fail" due to poor safety.

2011 standards.
Model S will be against (more stringent) 2012 standards, no?

My guess is that it is the "new 2011 and newer standards" which apply to 2012 models.
So, I think Model S would probably be tested to the same new standard.

5star1.jpg