Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Perfomance vs Standard motor noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took a test drive in the Model S Signature Performance yesterday in Santa Monica, it was a pre-production model (not a beta).

There was a very noticeable noise from the inverter when punched - I must say it sounded very exciting, like a jet engine spooling up, however I really noticed the noise difference. The standard S experienced during my Fremont test drive was almost no noise, and it was driven pretty hard.

The Tesla associate mentioned the noise difference between the two versions was due to the inverter working that much harder, which makes sense.

Personally, I prefer the quiet of the standard S.

I haven't seen any discussion of this so wondered if anyone else has noticed this?

There was some mention following the first batch of test drives and then some mention of a correction to that.

I don't know the state of production cars other than nobody I've read so far re: production performance car has mentioned it.

- Non-perf (white) that I drove at Fremont in June didn't have that sound.

- Non-perf (silver) that I rode in at Palo Alto in July had it. The co-pilot mentioned that it was to be addressed soon.

- Perf (grey) that I drove at Santana Row in late-August didn't have it. This was one of more recently produced test drive cars that was used in some of the later Get Amped events.

When discussing things like this, it would be helpful to know the VIN. This was mentioned as an issue on some (not all) early production cars used for the Amped Tour and now some are still used for test drives, I assume. I have not heard this as a big concern on any cars delivered to customers.