Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Perfomance vs Standard motor noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When discussing things like this, it would be helpful to know the VIN. This was mentioned as an issue on some (not all) early production cars used for the Amped Tour and now some are still used for test drives, I assume. I have not heard this as a big concern on any cars delivered to customers.

I did not notice any powertrain sound in the non-Perforance car I drove in Toronto, but did hear it in the Performance version in Newport Beach. The radio was on and to me, the noise could barely be heard. The Newport Beach car is VIN 5YJSA1DP6CFP01201.

Yep, that's the one. Mine is a little deeper sound, but it's definitely the same thing.

But it's much more pronounced in the video that I feel like it is in the actual car. Same with the background noise. Maybe that's the nature of the sound on video cameras.

Hmm... a little disappointed that Tesla wasn't able to address that one in time for customer deliveries. It was particularly noticeable when sitting in the back during my test ride.

dadaleus, thanks for updating us. Hope you can get Tesla service to look at it at some point.

Hmm... a little disappointed that Tesla wasn't able to address that one in time for customer deliveries. It was particularly noticeable when sitting in the back during my test ride.

dadaleus, thanks for updating us. Hope you can get Tesla service to look at it at some point.

I was about to mention that. I rode in the back seat of a non perf and I heard it loud and clear (the balloon deflating noise). When I test drove a perf version I didn't hear it at all.

I was about to mention that. I rode in the back seat of a non perf and I heard it loud and clear (the balloon deflating noise). When I test drove a perf version I didn't hear it at all.

My experience was the exact opposite (heard it in the Perf but not in the non-Perf). The Tesla rep actually pointed it out to me like it was a "cool feature" of the performance car when I took my test drive yesterday. I don't find the sound in any way objectionable.