Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance 18" T Sportline Wheel Swap & Balancing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I watched this helpful video about swapping the wheels on the performance Model 3 with T Sportline's 18" wheels:

This guy mentions nothing about balancing the wheels. I assume balancing is needed? So what's the point of mounting the wheels yourself when they need to come off again for balancing? Was hoping to do the whole thing myself as I don't trust most tire shops.

This guy mentions nothing about balancing the wheels. I assume balancing is needed? So what's the point of mounting the wheels yourself when they need to come off again for balancing? Was hoping to do the whole thing myself as I don't trust most tire shops.

If the tires and wheels are brand new, then yes, they have to be balanced before you put them on the car.

I usually do this by taking the tires and wheels separately to the tire shop (I use Discount Tire), and have them mount the tires on the wheels and balance them. Then I take the wheels myself back to my house and I swap the wheels there.

You may want to request road-force balancing, as it's a more accurate method of balancing, uses fewer wheel weights, and has a lifetime guarantee (at Discount Tire, anyway).

Thanks for the replies. The guy actually got back to me and said that the tires come balanced from TSportline? I guess I should take them to get balanced anyway? No need for wheel alignment on a brand new car after swapping the wheels right?

Also, are shops with pro lifts ok to raise the car when an alignment is needed or do they require the pucks?

Thanks for the replies. The guy actually got back to me and said that the tires come balanced from TSportline? I guess I should take them to get balanced anyway? No need for wheel alignment on a brand new car after swapping the wheels right?

We mount and balance tires on to our wheels and have upgraded to new machines with road-force balancing in December 2018. No alignment is needed.