Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance M3 Spotted in the Wild

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not sure if others have posted pics, however I saw this today. Vin was 56,xxx

Attachments

• IMG_1280.jpg
    IMG_1280.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_1284.jpg
    IMG_1284.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 111
Ya , it really is a tweaked awd model for the most part. I know it’s faster cause of software tweaks , however if someone ever hacks the firmware this will almost certainly be done on lower end models (to a point).

I remember reprogramming a 1998 camaro super sport and getting faster quarter mile times. Don’t remember the exact numbers but I got it below 14 seconds and I’m just an average joe.

Ya , it really is a tweaked awd model for the most part. I know it’s faster cause of software tweaks , however if someone ever hacks the firmware this will almost certainly be done on lower end models (to a point).

I remember reprogramming a 1998 camaro super sport and getting faster quarter mile times. Don’t remember the exact numbers but I got it below 14 seconds and I’m just an average joe.

A 98 Camaro SS already ran mid-low 13s bone stock..(some folks got into the high 12s stock with good tires, weather, and shifting)... you sure you had an SS?

That said, LT1/LS1 PCMs were intended to be reflashed by anybody with a laptop and a cable....no particular security, encryption, server involvement, etc.... so not saying hacking a teslas impossible- but it's pretty much an apples and hand grenades comparison as far as ease of doing it versus a 90s GM computer.

The OBD1 LT1 PCM was so easy there was free software and a whole flash was 128kb.

The 98 F-Body had a lot of timing pulled around the shifts for torque management to save the transmission, and the power seemed to have been dialed back a bit to save the egos of the guys who ponied up for the LT4 joke in the Vette a couple years earlier.

Tesla is smart enough to make things more than just software, will be a fuse or something as well.
Yes I believe most of the hardware will be the same but I believe there will be something hardware wise to keep the vasy majority of "P" wanters to get it from Tesla.

The OBD1 LT1 PCM was so easy there was free software and a whole flash was 128kb.

Sure, but a 98 is OBD-2 and an LS1... and getting well off topic but far as I know LS1edit (unlike LT1edit) wasn't free (and the couple of initial free options that did exist were abandoned leaving just the commercial products). Still super easy to use though.

The 98 F-Body had a lot of timing pulled around the shifts for torque management to save the transmission, and the power seemed to have been dialed back a bit to save the egos of the guys who ponied up for the LT4 joke in the Vette a couple years earlier.

same deal on the B-body where they couldn't have a sedan making vette power (even if it was significantly heavier)

The transmission thing was best fixed with a TH400 :)

Tesla is smart enough to make things more than just software, will be a fuse or something as well.

The model 3 doesn't use physical fuses at all. And if they're smarter they'd make as much as possible software, since that doesn't add cost like hardware does.

Yes I believe most of the hardware will be the same but I believe there will be something hardware wise to keep the vasy majority of "P" wanters to get it from Tesla.

Why do you belive this?

All actual evidence says otherwise- and everything being done is done easier, and cheaper, in software than in hardware anyway.

How much ‘hacking’ has been done to Tesla’s in the past regarding Model S or X? So that the XXD ones magically become PXXD with Ludicrous? Will be a first time Tesla owner so I’d like to know how ‘hackable’ these cars are as you’ve stated.

If they’re not that ‘hackable’ then the only option would be to “pay to play.”

Reactions: preilly44
I'm sure I'm being overly pedantic, but I don't count "in the dealership" as "in the wild".

Is there any badging for the performance model?
Agree, this is captivity, not "in a wild".

The badging is "Dual Motor" on the back, underlined by a red line. Some are speculating that regular AWD underline will not be red. If that's the case, I'll paint it red and save $11k on it :)

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
How much ‘hacking’ has been done to Tesla’s in the past regarding Model S or X? So that the XXD ones magically become PXXD with Ludicrous? Will be a first time Tesla owner so I’d like to know how ‘hackable’ these cars are as you’ve stated.

If they’re not that ‘hackable’ then the only option would be to “pay to play.”

Unlike the 3, there's actual hardware differences with most of the S vs P models.

That said- it's not like folks can download a USB key image on bittorrent and give themselves free autopilot either.

Not that nobody's done any hacking on Teslas- just don't expect free unlocking like that.

Hey guys great discussion, I did have a camaro and rarely went to the track so under 13 second quarter mile was good for me.

Also, kinda what I was referring to with the hacking is once the awd model gets a few years old (say 6) and they move onto another model, and software for it stops being updated , then it is a very real probability it will be hacked and upgraded to performance. I’m betting at that time we will pull up this old thread and say SEE!

The iPhone is constantly hacked and it is very secure. Nothing is not hack able and whatS better than getting a free upgrade.

• Disagree
Hey guys great discussion, I did have a camaro and rarely went to the track so under 13 second quarter mile was good for me.

Also, kinda what I was referring to with the hacking is once the awd model gets a few years old (say 6) and they move onto another model, and software for it stops being updated , then it is a very real probability it will be hacked and upgraded to performance. I’m betting at that time we will pull up this old thread and say SEE!

The iPhone is constantly hacked and it is very secure. Nothing is not hack able and whatS better than getting a free upgrade.

The model S is 6 years old- and still receiving active OTA updates (and will for a very long time as far as anybody is aware)- no reason to suspect the 3 would be any different... and Step 1 for any hacking plan would require you disabling communication with Tesla (since they could otherwise be checking against what software the car "should" be running.... which is exactly how iphone hacks get killed by apple if you update iOS)

BTW, while the iphone still does get hacked, it's a lot less common than it used to be- and often takes quite a while after a new OS version comes out that there's a public jailbreak (especially an untethered one) available- and if you ever update the OS you generally lose it because apple quickly patches any way in that's published.