Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Model 3 Snow Tires/Rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have lived in the northeast all my life and never used winter tiresbut am considering now. For those who do use them, what time of year do you make the switch? Seems like we could have 40 degree temps in October but not see any significant snow for several months. Then when are you comfortable putting the summer tires back on - April? Anxious to here you experiences as I weigh options.

Reactions: JM0N
Have lived in the northeast all my life and never used winter tiresbut am considering now. For those who do use them, what time of year do you make the switch? Seems like we could have 40 degree temps in October but not see any significant snow for several months. Then when are you comfortable putting the summer tires back on - April? Anxious to here you experiences as I weigh options.

For me, I put them on when the temps are consistently below ~40-45 degrees. Otherwise, you'll be unnecessarily killing your soft compound tread in a +45F environment. Historically, I swapped them on sometime in December when the temps dropped enough to warrant them. And usually sometime in March they came off. Sometimes they went on earlier or later, and sometimes they came off earlier or later. Just don't get lazy and delay swapping them off when the temps warm up. You'll blow right through that tread...

Two reasons:
  1. They have said on the forum that they fit.
  2. You can pick the P3D+ from the "Model 3 Spec"/fitment drop down list:
View attachment 330233

They have even said that they had to re-engineer the wheels to fit because of the 3mm lip on the P3D+.

Thanks for that information! I will likely order a set. This will solve my winter issues. The rims are a tad pricey but the cheaper tires should help to recover some of that. Thanks again!!

• Informative
Reactions: JM0N
Buy the Tesla 19" winter tire set
  1. Expensive at $3500 USD
  2. Least amount of hassle other than storing wheels
  3. Best winter rim size that fits

Is it confirmed that these will fit the Model 3 Performance with Performance Upgrade (clearing brakes, suspension components, etc.)? And if so does this combination offer the same outside diameter as the 20" setup that comes on the P3D+?

Apologize if that question has already been answered but I haven't been able to find it if it has.

Mike

Thanksgiving till Easter in Cleveland, plus or minus 2 weeks.

• Helpful
Reactions: PA ZU
Is it confirmed that these will fit the Model 3 Performance with Performance Upgrade (clearing brakes, suspension components, etc.)? And if so does this combination offer the same outside diameter as the 20" setup that comes on the P3D+?

Apologize if that question has already been answered but I haven't been able to find it if it has.

Mike

It hasn't been confirmed at this point. There have been a lot of conflicting data from Tesla with regard to this set and the Performance upgrade Package. 19's should be able to clear the brakes but might not. Also the 3mm lip might not be accounted for with the 19 sport wheels.

• Helpful
Reactions: NOLA_Mike
Hey Ive got an order placed for a P3D with the Performance package that comes with the Michelin PS4S 235/25/R20. Since these are a summer tire Im going to look into getting some snow tires for the winter (Pittsburgh, PA). I know Tesla sells PIRELLI WINTER SOTTOZERO 3 with either the Aero wheels or the 19" sport wheels.

Will either of those fit on the larger brakes that come with the 5k performance package?

What winter rim/tires are you guys looking to get for your performance model 3?

I'm in the same boat as you.

I'm taking delivery of Performance Model 3 (here in Ontario) on Sept.21st and by Dec I want winter rims and Tires on it so I'm shopping around for alternatives to Tesla's $4,400 winter package.

I'm in the same boat as you.

I'm taking delivery of Performance Model 3 (here in Ontario) on Sept.21st and by Dec I want winter rims and Tires on it so I'm shopping around for alternatives to Tesla's $4,400 winter package.

These fit the P+. Just be sure to select it in the dropdown menu. I have a set on order.

Whenever I get mine, off to Discount Tire I go to get some X-iCE in 235/45/18, and their TPMS.

This thread has been invaluable in helping me make a winter decision for my P3D+. Thank you all who contributed to this discussion. Considered all the options
1. Keep 20" wheels, buy all-season tires (keep or sell the Michelin Pilot 4S)
2. Keep 20" wheels, buy winter tires (reinstall and re-balance wheels in spring)
3. Buy new 20” wheels and winter tires, Store current wheels and tires and put back on in spring time.
4. Buy new 19” wheels and winter tires (uncertain if they will fit over the performance brakes). Store current wheels and tires and put back on in spring time.
5. And these were the options until I found that TSportline has an 18" wheel which will be better for winter roadways and I called to confirm that it has been modified to fit over the performance brakes.

So, decided to go with the TSportline 18" TST Flow Forged Tesla Wheel (Set of 4) in Space Gray for the Performance Model 3 with Performance upgrade for $1500 (free shipping) plus $45 for lug nut covers.

However, the winter tires they offer (Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie 2) are not the best for ice and snow based on Tire Rack reviews. Instead opted for Michelin X-ice XI3 which are also quieter. So bought the wheels and tires separately and will store them until we install in November/December. Will store the 20" wheels and re-install in March. Hopefully, this way I will have the best of both worlds.

upload_2018-9-3_18-43-55.png

Whether it's a performance or non-performance Model 3, Tesla's winter tire packages come with performance winter tires.
How much handling will be lost by going with something like the X-Ice Xi3 over the Pilot Alpin PA4 or Pirelli Sottozero 3?

I've never driven a performance car in the winter so I can't compare, but I've been using Xi3s on my current car and they're great. Especially for these Eastern Ontario winters.

Will probably do the same thing as @ViviV, but just want to make sure I shouldn't be picking a performance tire instead.
Most performance car forums (Audi, BMW, etc) comparing Xi3 vs PA4 all seem to lean toward PA4 because of the handling, is the difference that huge?

I'm in Hamilton, ON and I switch my tires the first weekend of December. I've never been caught out . . . yet.