Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Model 3 Snow Tires/Rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the Performance Model 3 20in winter wheel and tire set at the Watertown, MA service center. It took around two weeks from ordering to installing the set - with weekly phone calls to follow up. It was $4000 for the parts and $125 for the labor. The tires included in the package are four Pirelli Sottozero Winter 270 235/35 R20 92W M+S tires. The part number for the kit was invoiced as:
M3 PERF. WINTER WHEEL KIT (PERF)
(1411112-01-A) Road noise is slightly louder than the summer performance tires and the ride is softer compared to the summer performance tires.
Screenshot_20181030-115304.png
IMG_20181026_165138.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20181026_165138.jpg
    IMG_20181026_165138.jpg
    435.6 KB · Views: 131
  • Screenshot_20181030-115304.png
    Screenshot_20181030-115304.png
    710.5 KB · Views: 92
I have the X-Ice's on my Subaru Outback. They worked really well this last winter in Minneapolis where we had a fair amount of snow and a lot of ice and ice that lingered around for a long time. Many times where people were stuck going up hills and I had no trouble. I had to make a "rescue" run to school as buses were stuck. I had no problem making my way around stuck cars and buses. I didn't really notice any appreciable noise difference but the car is fairly loud to begin with.

I have no personal experience with the Pirellis but they look like high performance snows in that they trade some snow capability for high speed dry capability. I've had similar tires before on a WRX (Bridgestone Blizzaks if I remember correctly) and they were the high performance variant. They worked really well in concert with all wheel drive.

I ordered my 18" TST Flow Forged in Space Grey mid-October, and the winter tire option at the time was Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II. Now it looks like they've switched to Michelin X-Ice Xi3 instead of the Sottozero's for winter. The price for the PUP wheel/tire set looks like it dropped by $200 since my order. Anyone have experience they can share between these two tires? I'm happy with anything winter, just wondering if either set of tires is substantially better. I haven't seen much of a status update regarding shipments, but at this point I assume I'm at least a couple of weeks away from getting a shipping confirmation.

Reactions: hd-2
Just called TSportline to get an update on their back ordered wheel situation.

They told me that they are unloading the truck right now and expect to begin shipping the back orders next week (at least for the 19" Metallic Grey version).

This would be the most welcome news! Their twitter account responded to someone saying that they'd start shipping in November, but I really wish they would have put some official status on the site or social media. Waiting until November to have wheels for my snow tires is cutting it a bit too close for me.

Reactions: xy46
Jeez.. I hope these (18" for me) ship soon. Like this week for next week. It'll be hard to coordinate my tire delivery with these wheels otherwise to get them mounted/balanced...

BTW, anyone use any good mobile tire shop outfits? Where they can just come to my garage and do all this stuff?

Reactions: xy46
Jeez.. I hope these (18" for me) ship soon. Like this week for next week. It'll be hard to coordinate my tire delivery with these wheels otherwise to get them mounted/balanced...

BTW, anyone use any good mobile tire shop outfits? Where they can just come to my garage and do all this stuff?

I emailed Tsportline yesterday about 18” shipments. They expect to ship second week of November.

For those who have purchased wheel/tires packages from Tire Rack 18" or 19". Has the fitting issue been resolved for the P3D+? Or is the spacer that is being sent too tight? If so, will it help for me to specify or ask for a different one to avoid it from being too tight, as some ppl here have stated. Thanks in advance!

I just ordered the Michelin Alpin PA4's from Tire Rack in 235/35/20 for my stock wheels. The Alpin PA4's are one of the very few tires I've never tried. I've owned multiple Blizzaks, Nokian Hakka R2's, etc. I've heard rave reviews about the Alpin PA4's. I'll report back when we get some white stuff on the ground. I'm looking forward to seeing how electric AWD & snow tires do in the snow :D

Reactions: FroIII
I got the Performance Model 3 20in winter wheel and tire set at the Watertown, MA service center. It took around two weeks from ordering to installing the set - with weekly phone calls to follow up. It was $4000 for the parts and $125 for the labor. The tires included in the package are four Pirelli Sottozero Winter 270 235/35 R20 92W M+S tires. The part number for the kit was invoiced as:
(1411112-01-A) Road noise is slightly louder than the summer performance tires and the ride is softer compared to the summer performance tires.
View attachment 348396 View attachment 348397

Looks great! Interesting that they said to run 'em at 45psi. I thought winters were supposed to be run at 42 or so? Maybe that'd impact road noise?

Looks great! Interesting that they said to run 'em at 45psi. I thought winters were supposed to be run at 42 or so? Maybe that'd impact road noise?
Yeah, probably some trade off between road noise and rolling resistance. According to the EU tire label, the Pirellis are also just inherently louder, they are 1dB louder compared to the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Both sets of tires seem to have terrible fuel efficiency - I read that the difference between A rating and G rating has a difference of 9% for fuel efficiency.

Pirelli W 270 SottoZero S2 235/35 R20 92W XL has a rating of E for fuel efficiency, 72dB for noise measured at the tire, C for wet grip.
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 235/35 ZR20 (92Y) XL has a rating of E for fuel efficiency, 71dB for noise measured at the tire, A for wet grip

View attachment 348396 View attachment 348397

I just got a quote from my SC for this exact package and it was $4700. New wheels, TPMS and Pirelli Sotozero Serie II. Very odd...

Anyone tried All Season tires with the 20" on P3D+? How well are they?

As far as I know, Model X owner's smallest OEM wheels are 20" and they haven't seem to have any issues, not sure why P3D+ owners are stressing over the 20". Am I missing something?

Anyone tried All Season tires with the 20" on P3D+? How well are they?

As far as I know, Model X owner's smallest OEM wheels are 20" and they haven't seem to have any issues, not sure why P3D+ owners are stressing over the 20". Am I missing something?

In Michigan?? You're rolling some expensive dice, no? If you're going to swap tires, why not just get 20" winters?

In Michigan?? You're rolling some expensive dice, no? If you're going to swap tires, why not just get 20" winters?

Yeah, I'm new to all this stuff lol.

I was thinking of doing that, but I didn't want to swap tires twice a year, they're also about $1400 for the alpines. I also heard you could damage the tires.

Whereas with A/S 3+ ($800) I don't have to swap them twice a year and are cheaper.

I was thinking of doing that, but I didn't want to swap tires twice a year, they're also about $1400 for the alpines. I also heard you could damage the tires.

Whereas with A/S 3+ ($800) I don't have to swap them twice a year and are cheaper.

You already have to rotate them, so you might as well swap them one of those rotations. And if you're putting double the miles on a cheaper tire, you're going to have to buy twice as many of them.

Basically what's happening here is the P3D+ is expensive. You want to put cheap tires on it, which is fine and your prerogative. But if you're complaining about tire costs already, you're going to be very disappointed with this car and its ongoing maintenance. Winter tires are cheap insurance, and tires in general are the most important safety device you have on a car. You should really think about what driving conditions you're going to find yourself in, and whether or not it's worth risking your expensive car or not.

Reactions: FroIII

If it helps, post 435 is my initial review of the A/S 3+. 300 miles in and I am very happy and will use them year round. I do not see any noticeable difference in performance between these and the summer tires that came on the car, so doesn't seem worth the hassle of switching them. Prior to my post there were a number of positive reviews of the A/S 3+ but one user had a bad experience that seemed to spook some. That led a couple to go with Continentals and they also got positive reviews.

Long story short, you have several pretty good options here so don't get discouraged.

Reactions: skrtskrt
Yeah, probably some trade off between road noise and rolling resistance. According to the EU tire label, the Pirellis are also just inherently louder, they are 1dB louder compared to the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Both sets of tires seem to have terrible fuel efficiency - I read that the difference between A rating and G rating has a difference of 9% for fuel efficiency.

Pirelli W 270 SottoZero S2 235/35 R20 92W XL has a rating of E for fuel efficiency, 72dB for noise measured at the tire, C for wet grip.
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 235/35 ZR20 (92Y) XL has a rating of E for fuel efficiency, 71dB for noise measured at the tire, A for wet grip

I put Pirelli W 270 SottoZero Serie 2 235/45/18s on my P3D+ a couple weeks ago (mounted on TStportline 18" wheels). I can verify that they are noisier than the stock 20" Michelin Pilot Sport 4S summer tires. I also notice a bit more wheel spin on rapid acceleration. No snow here yet so I can't comment on how well they perform in the white stuff. Got a good price at Canadian Tire ($100 less per tire than anyone else) but I didn't trust them to mount the tires once they told me they were hiring part-time people to get them through the early winter rush. Went to a garage that had experience with Teslas.

I just got a quote from my SC for this exact package and it was $4700. New wheels, TPMS and Pirelli Sotozero Serie II. Very odd...
When I was at the service center, I was quoted $5000> after service, labor and taxes and I didn't argue as I didn't have any price quote from them prior to going into the service center. But the service manager was able to change to price on it after looking up the correct part number M3 PERF. WINTER WHEEL KIT (PERF)
(1411112-01-A) for the package. You may want to see if they can look up that part number in their system and modify the price accordingly.

You already have to rotate them, so you might as well swap them one of those rotations. And if you're putting double the miles on a cheaper tire, you're going to have to buy twice as many of them.

Basically what's happening here is the P3D+ is expensive. You want to put cheap tires on it, which is fine and your prerogative. But if you're complaining about tire costs already, you're going to be very disappointed with this car and its ongoing maintenance. Winter tires are cheap insurance, and tires in general are the most important safety device you have on a car. You should really think about what driving conditions you're going to find yourself in, and whether or not it's worth risking your expensive car or not.

Thanks for the insight. What other expansive ongoing maintenance are you talking about?