Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Model 3 with Premium Upgrade package - Suggestions for Wheel Swap in favor of range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I just picked up a performance Model 3 with PUP (previously had LR RWD), and I'm going to be driving this for about 100+ miles a day for the commute. I'm looking to remove the 20'' wheels with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's (until I stop commuting), but wanted to get some opinions on what good options would be to go to.

Currently, I'm only really finding tsportline's TST 18'' turbines for performance PUP as the wheelset that is budget friendly, and then trying to find someone selling their aerowheels set and take the primacy MXM4's off them (cheaper than buying new from tire rack).

Thanks in advance (I also know someone will probably say, I shouldn't have gotten performance, but I had a deal I couldn't pass up).

No, it doesn't. The only Tesla wheels that work are on the current Performance 3 (which now includes the bigger brakes) are the 20" Performance wheels that come with the car. Those wheels, amazingly enough, are different than the 20" Sport wheels sold online as an accessory; the Sport wheels don't fit the P3D either. It seems Tesla could change this easily by milling out a lip on all of their wheels, but so far they have not done that. Maybe there is a technical reason? Maybe they want us to buy winter wheels elsewhere? Maybe they think we will (obviously, some have) just buy a second set of high-margin 20's with different tires?

TSportline offers a good, light (20lb), 18" option, though not really cheap. Tire Rack has several cheaper options, including a couple as light as TSportline's (though not as attractive, IMO. And they require hub rings, which TSportline does not).

However, in addition to size and weight, there are also aerodynamics to consider; and of course the tires you put on there. I put 23lb wheels (not the lightest available; but notably lighter than the 29lb OEM 20s) from Tire Rack with Pirelli Sottozero 3 tires on my P3D. Performance is great...but efficiency seems unfortunately pretty similar to Tesla's original 20" wheels with Pilot Sport summer tires. Is it the wheel aerodynamics? Tire rolling resistance? Or does the P3D have driveline inefficiencies that you just can't overcome with wheels and tires? I dunno. Colder weather could also play a factor, although I think temps have varied enough before and after the wheel change that I don't think that is the explanation.

Off-topic note: I like the P3D's steering BETTER with the 18" wheels and Winter Performance tires than I did with the original 20" wheels and Pilot Sports. I was surprised by this. But then again, I preferred the same aspects of the steering (initial responsiveness and linearity; though the P3D does stay flatter accelerating through a curve - probably more due to AWD pull than anything with the tires and wheels; I don't *think* the suspension is different) on my old M3 LR RWD with all-seasons better than the 20" Pilot Sports on my P3D as well. That too was a big surprise. It's like the Pilot Sports have a bit of a flat spot in the center. Maybe it's related to low rolling resistance, which is why wheel/tire sets that I think should be more efficient aren't. Hey, careful now, I am getting back on topic...

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: afadeev and 2018M3
I do 120 miles a day commuting (SF Bay Area) and the 20’s are fine. I usually end up with 120-140 miles at the end of night. I do charge every night to 90% which starts me off the day with 277 miles.

Those are great numbers... I am getting 208 miles range. May I ask what's average speed, tire pressure, heater a/c on? Driving wheels lights on or off :)