Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance model winter range ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering what to expect for range out of the MYP as far as winter driving goes ohio winters can get pretty cold and I'm starting to wonder what kind of range we can expect on highway drives typically 70-75 mph max. Hoping that it will be over 200 on a straight shot as we do weekly drives at just over 175 miles 1 way. Any input would be appreciated as I'm new to the ev world an looking to learn all I can

Just wondering what to expect for range out of the MYP as far as winter driving goes ohio winters can get pretty cold and I'm starting to wonder what kind of range we can expect on highway drives typically 70-75 mph max. Hoping that it will be over 200 on a straight shot as we do weekly drives at just over 175 miles 1 way. Any input would be appreciated as I'm new to the ev world an looking to learn all I can
I don’t think anyone can really say. The heat pump should improve efficiency compared to other vehicles in the fleet, but the Y hasn’t been out long enough to provide any details.

FWIW, my Model S had its range cut in half. This was in the Northeast and with 19” snow tires. I was running 21’s in the summer.

Reactions: Big Earl
Ok good to know i will check it out im hoping someone will chime in an give me a worst case scenario lol don't know if I should expect 150 for the worst or what lol

Best I can do for you right now is only 120 miles of driving in the snow/rain/freezing temps.

I should include this disclaimer though... I have 18" wheels and snow tires on my car so it is probably skewed (the car thinks it's 19's because that's the smallest tire size you can have).

But right now with it 30 degrees out, my car is at 80% charge and Teslafi says my rated range is 250 but my estimated is 190.

The temperature efficiency chart showing all drives over 1 mile puts me right around 66% efficiency or 332 wh/mile for temps between 30-40 degrees F.

Hope this helps and I'm sure we'll start seeing some more info from other people as the temps start to get down there.

Reactions: Blackmy21
I was getting ~320-340 wh/m when i first got the car in march, and now its starting to creep up back there now that its down in the 50s here, so im assuming it will be higher in freezing temps. Wouldn't expect more than 150 miles in the dead of winter.

I road-tripped last week, and the last day started and remained in winter temps. Minus the drafting I was doing, I would say my MYP's winter range is roughly 200 miles. My drive back home was roughly 173 miles, I started with 91% battery and the initial calculations went as low as 6% remaining when I arrived home. So, doing some quick ratio math, 173 miles divided into .85 (100%-9%-6%) comes out to roughly ~203 miles.

However, I drafted a couple of semis with precision to avoid the headwind I was driving into for about half the time and arrived home with 20% battery remaining, as opposed to 6%. I really did NOT want to stop to supercharge on this leg... Your driving conditions will vary your efficiency/range significantly in these vehicles, so make sure to plan accordingly!