Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYLR snow performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Slowly and carefully :)
But seriously, rear is the recommended if you only have 2 socks, but you could always put some on the front if you want.
That’s a must in snow, slowly and carefully.

A thought though - if the driver engaged off road assist, that splits the power (and regen braking) 50-50 I understand. In that case, I may lean towards the front wheels for the socks. Help with steering and braking especially as weight shifts forward during breaking.

What do you think?

That’s a must in snow, slowly and carefully.

A thought though - if the driver engaged off road assist, that splits the power (and regen braking) 50-50 I understand. In that case, I may lean towards the front wheels for the socks. Help with steering and braking especially as weight shifts forward during breaking.

What do you think?
You know what works better? The right tool for the right job. Put on winter tires and you just get in your car and drive.

You're in NC, you dont need snow tires. All-Seasons are good enough.

I'm in DC and snow tires are a little much (I only got a set because I travel during the winter sometimes and wanted a full-sized spare (I bring one of my all-season wheels with me). The Model Y is the first car I've ever had snow tires on and Ive lived in the midatlantic for awhile. I'm not gonna lie, snow tires ARE better in snow, but its not like the car wont work on all-seasons just fine. Plus the amount of snow we get, they're really only semi-useful 4 days a year.

If you had summer tires, itd be more compelling, but even then I'd just suggest going to All-Seasons. NC just doesnt get that cold (compared to NY) and as time goes on, its only going to get warmer.

Reactions: richyrich
Looking at buying a LR. A couple of questions the sales guy has no idea on:

Does the offroad assist mode work at 30kph?

Does the offroad assist engage braking on the slipping wheels to function as a faux LSD?

I saw a video of one doing repeated climbs up and onto a ramp so it had two corners off the ground. It looked like a bit of momentum might have been doing the business until both fronts were down again but couldn't tell for sure.

Looking at buying a LR. A couple of questions the sales guy has no idea on:

Does the offroad assist mode work at 30kph?

Does the offroad assist engage braking on the slipping wheels to function as a faux LSD?

I saw a video of one doing repeated climbs up and onto a ramp so it had two corners off the ground. It looked like a bit of momentum might have been doing the business until both fronts were down again but couldn't tell for sure.
Yes it works at 30kph, even 100kph. 50:50 instead of the usual rear bias. I use it primarily on ice.

Offroad assist reduces the anti-spin / auto-braking to allow wheel spin. However it also reduces throttle curve, so you are less likely to over-torque.

I used it regularly this winter, mostly for getting going. Turn it off as soon as I am done.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnB007
Offroad assist reduces the anti-spin / auto-braking to allow wheel spin
Thanks. I have read that a few places and it doesn't mean anything to me.

A spinning wheel with an open diff means equal loss of traction to the wheel that still has traction. If power is maintained pretty soon you have a burnout going on and going nowhere. Easy to break something if the spinning wheel grabs.

Enter traction control systems.

Dumping power is a halfarse solution. With open differential you need to to brake the loose wheel and keep the power fed to the diff.

Does off road mode do that or not?

What it sounds like it may be doing is merely stopping it from the panic dumping of power to an axle when one wheel is scrubbing a bit. The remaining torque to the opposite wheel can often be enough to carry you through the tough spot.

A bit like driving was like before all the traction control malarkey, where you could power on judiciously in a front wheel drive sedan with good tyres and get there every time. Maybe?

The words that are missing in the owner manual are "active wheel braking".

When it says

"If Model Y experiences a loss of traction, the system minimizes wheel spin by controlling brake pressure and motor power."

It could be talking about controlling brake pressure with ABS and regen on the downhill section only.

Simple question. Does it drive forward when opposing wheels front and back are both airborne?

You can see it struggling to do a damn thing and then all of a sudden it is away. That appears to coincide with managing enough forward creep on the imperfect rollers that it snags the front lip.

So I am going with no braking of spinning wheels. A great shame as it is clearly within the car's capability if the software were enabled. It would kick major butt on mountain roads.