Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYLR snow performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Entering my first winter with the MYLR (20” with stick tires) and I’m wondering what to expect when it snows here in NC. We don’t get a hard enough winter to warrant dedicated snow tires so I’m sticking with the factory shoes and hoping that I can get through the occasional snow event with the AWD. Thoughts?

Carry "Auto Socks", a legal alternative to tire chains. They are available at many tire stores, and on-line. Very easy to put on and take off, and they work great.
Splendid suggestion! I never knew that these existed! Question: does one put on one set (either front or rear) or put on two sets (both front and rear)?

I live in the high Rockies where we get a lot of snow and sub-zero temps. If you know how to drive on snowy or bad roads, you'll be fine. I have a set of snow tires but have only used them sporadically because (1) I'm lazy about putting them on; and (2) I can get through the winters OK with all-season tires.

I live in the high Rockies where we get a lot of snow and sub-zero temps. If you know how to drive on snowy or bad roads, you'll be fine. I have a set of snow tires but have only used them sporadically because (1) I'm lazy about putting them on; and (2) I can get through the winters OK with all-season tires.
Similar locality to this poster and I can tell you that I don't bother with swapping snow tires on an AWD Tesla (I may consider w/RWD but I just won't get a RWD again for this area) and I can tell you that A/S tires make a difference too. IMO the Continental DWS 06+ is the best year-round tire if you live in area with an actual winter. Most other manufacture's A/S version of their Ultra High Performance still use the same (or similar) compounds that give better maximum traction in ideal summer (read: warm) conditions. The trade-off is that in colder temps the tires become rock hard at temperatures I wouldn't even consider to be very low for this area. This gives the feeling of driving on marbles on a glass surface. Not fun. I went back to DWS 06+ and I'll never look back unless some crazy advancement is made in UHP A/S tires that's legitimate in real world use rather than all of these marketing "advancements" you see regularly.

Reactions: Noflash
Entering my first winter with the MYLR (20” with stick tires) and I’m wondering what to expect when it snows here in NC. We don’t get a hard enough winter to warrant dedicated snow tires so I’m sticking with the factory shoes and hoping that I can get through the occasional snow event with the AWD. Thoughts?
Winter tires are designed for lower temps, not just snow. If you live in a cold environment, winter tires are a no brainer.

I am not a “car dude”, so apologies for saying this. Everyone talks about changing tires to Winter and back to Summer as if it easy peasy. How? Certainly cannot do this myself. How much does changing tires cost at a tire shop, and where do you store the off-season spare tires?

I am not a “car dude”, so apologies for saying this. Everyone talks about changing tires to Winter and back to Summer as if it easy peasy. How? Certainly cannot do this myself. How much does changing tires cost at a tire shop, and where do you store the off-season spare tires?
If you want a shop to rotate wheels with tires already on them it varies from free to around $25-50. If you want to have them mount new tires, that cost is generally around $100. You can simply store the tires in a garbage back in your garage. Generally, people purchase a second set of wheels and mount their winter tires on them.

I dont live someplace with snow, but know a few people who do, and they tell me all the tire shops around them have this down pat.

Generally, people purchase a second set of wheels and mount their winter tires on them.
Thats what they tell me they do (buy a set of winter rims). If they have cars with big rims, they buy winter ones that are smaller size, with winter tires and put them in their garage. They either swap themselves or get a shop to do it.

If you purchase one of the Tesla winter tire and wheel packages the wheels, with winter tires already mounted, balanced with TPMS sensors installed, are shipped to your local Tesla Service Center. Tesla Service will contact you to make an appointment to have the winter tires installed on your Tesla vehicle. (The installation is included in the purchase price for the Tesla winter tire and wheel package.) In the spring you can have Tesla Service take off the winter wheel, tires and re-install the factory wheels, tires. The cost to swap wheels should be the same as a tire rotation. In some areas the local tire centers offer to store your wheels, tires until you are ready to swap again.

You can swap the wheels yourself if you have a floor jack and tire changing tools. This takes about a half hour. Not everyone has the space, time or desire to perform the wheel swap themselves.

Reactions: Noflash and thyname
I live in Tahoe and we got about 700 inches last year. The Model Y is definitely not as good as a Subaru in snow, but it is surprisingly good. I do use winter tires, though I’ve found that engaging Off-Road mode make a big difference sliding a slow soeeds on icy roads going downhill (even with snow tires) I’ve come to rely on that mode so much that I installed a S3XY button to activate it

I live in Tahoe and we got about 700 inches last year. The Model Y is definitely not as good as a Subaru in snow, but it is surprisingly good. I do use winter tires, though I’ve found that engaging Off-Road mode make a big difference sliding a slow soeeds on icy roads going downhill (even with snow tires) I’ve come to rely on that mode so much that I installed a S3XY button to activate it
What do you mean by “not as good”?

What do you mean by “not as good”?
The Subaru I had before the Model Y had better clearance for deep snow days and could make it down some steep icy driveways in Subaru’s X-Mode that Tesla’s off-road mode still slips on (both with winter tires.) Also, the door handles constantly freeze shut. But, that said, the Model Y is a very good snow car and does well in some very difficult and slippery conditions - it’s just hard to match a Subaru when it comes to snow. I feel I made a conscious decision to give up some utility in exchange for a car that’s more fun, and I don’t regret it (on most days!)

I lived mostly in Quebec or Ontario most of my adult life, and since day 1 of my first car, I used dedicated winter tires - either Blizzak or X-Ice series.

Starting about 5 years ago, I started using all weather tire - CC2, and I am no longer into winter tires anymore. Under serious conditions, winter tires are better for sure, but at least I have an option to not drive in those conditions. Outside those conditions, the difference is close to zero, and during border seasons when temperature gets hot for short bursts, I no longer worry about wearing down tires too fast. I finally have an option to drive south in the middle of the winter without changing out tires, which also creates some risks as climate varies a lot during this drive.

As for BMW X3 vs MY for winter driving, hostely I cannot tell the difference in terms of winter performance when identical tires are used (both on CC2). I could tell the difference when X3 was using X-Ice vs CC2 (initially used as a 4-season replacement), but I could also clearly tell the difference between CC2 and 4-season tires under slippery weather.

All of my friends who own Teslas have switched to either CC2 or Hakkas. They are located in Montreal, Toronto, or Ottawa.

• Informative
Reactions: wildguess
The Subaru I had before the Model Y had better clearance for deep snow days and could make it down some steep icy driveways in Subaru’s X-Mode that Tesla’s off-road mode still slips on (both with winter tires.) Also, the door handles constantly freeze shut. But, that said, the Model Y is a very good snow car and does well in some very difficult and slippery conditions - it’s just hard to match a Subaru when it comes to snow. I feel I made a conscious decision to give up some utility in exchange for a car that’s more fun, and I don’t regret it (on most days!)

Gotcha, that makes sense, thanks! I came from a MX and I had no complaints in the snow. I'm not looking forward to some of the cold weather issues like the frozen handles, but I'm sure I'll survive!

Regarding the original poster's question about using one or two sets of Auto Socks. I just have one set and put them on the rear tires. It greatly improves traction going up or down hill, and, most importantly, it keeps the rear end from wanting to spin forward when braking going down hill. As always, be gently on the accelerator and brake/regen when driving on snow/ice.
Concerning the discussion about getting by with all season tires. As an old contractor used to say, sarcastically, "You could do it that way." It also matters what snow conditions are: cold and crisp in Montana, no problem, or heavy, wet, "Cascade concrete" on mountain passes in WA, problem. Snow tires are magnitudes safer in the latter situation. When driving over Cascade mountain passes if "tire chains required, except AWD with snow tires" is posted you don't have to chain up a AWD Model Y. Sometimes "tire chains required on all vehicles" is posted and Auto Socks are a great option.

• Informative
Reactions: wildguess
Similar locality to this poster and I can tell you that I don't bother with swapping snow tires on an AWD Tesla (I may consider w/RWD but I just won't get a RWD again for this area) and I can tell you that A/S tires make a difference too. IMO the Continental DWS 06+ is the best year-round tire if you live in area with an actual winter. Most other manufacture's A/S version of their Ultra High Performance still use the same (or similar) compounds that give better maximum traction in ideal summer (read: warm) conditions. The trade-off is that in colder temps the tires become rock hard at temperatures I wouldn't even consider to be very low for this area. This gives the feeling of driving on marbles on a glass surface. Not fun. I went back to DWS 06+ and I'll never look back unless some crazy advancement is made in UHP A/S tires that's legitimate in real world use rather than all of these marketing "advancements" you see regularly.
How’s the range on these?