Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Package Upgrade on base Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently waiting for a Model 3 I can afford, as you guessed, a standard range Model 3.

Being involved in amateur Motorsports, I believe the price & lighter weight of the base M3 will make it a weapon of choice for frugal amateur racers.

The question I have is,

Will Tesla eventually offer the Performance package Upgrade (20" Wheels, Big Brakes, Stiffer Suspension & Spoiler) on other M3s than the Performance Variant?

I would add this upgrade to my Base M3 in a heartbeat.

Anyone's got news or an opinion in that regard?

I doubt it. The base model 3 will be made to the base cost, in my opinion, and will likely only get the software options like EAP. I dont believe they will be targetting "amatuer racers" with the model 3 at all and certainly not with the base model.

You could take your proposed 35k and get a used car that you planned on modding for autocross etc use if thats the usage you see for the car.

Alternatively, you could plan to buy the base car and put after market brakes, wheels, suspension on it.

Reactions: Dan_A
I think the move to include that $5k package on all Performance cars was to simplify production. It would serve to complicate it further if there were RWD and AWD Model 3's getting optioned out as well. The RWD is a great track car, and is able to turn consistent laps without the extra cooling of Track Mode that the Performance cars have.

• Informative
Reactions: 3laine
Will Tesla eventually offer the Performance package Upgrade (20" Wheels, Big Brakes, Stiffer Suspension & Spoiler) on other M3s than the Performance Variant?

Hmm honestly i got the P3D primarly for Track Mode, the other items (Brakes and suspension) you would likely upgrade yourself anyway and the 20" wheels aren't great for the track either. RWD will probably be great like MPP says, though it does have some power fade from getting hot (depending on the track) after a few laps.

If we eventually got Track Mode cooling on the RWD it would be epic!

I’m guessing such a config wouldnt be popular enough for tesla to offer.

When you look at the current availability of a mid range car + large tax credit, it appears most people still holding out for the standard range cars are constrained to a relatively strict $35k budget, so I’d imagine ordering upgrades will be less popular in the base cars.

If I wanted to race a model 3 I’d put proper tires on the stock 18” rims and spend the money upfront on a larger battery/second motor (since it’s not feasable to change those later), then get aftermarket brakes/suspension as the budget allows. The 20” rims and spoiler look cool but they don’t actually make the car any faster so if I was racing on a budget I’d skip those personally.

Reactions: jjrandorin
The question I have is,

You will get better result going with aftermarket on these. Tesla has to tow the line between comfort and performance. You on the other hand can tilt all the way to performance with aftermarket parts.

The objective is to get a potent car in the Street Autox class. The more goodies I can get from the OEM, the better as the SCCA limits aftermarket parts use severely in this category.

As far as putting 35k in a ICE race car, expenditures go exponential when racing is involved. I think switching to an electric car for competition, as in other uses, may reduce the costs dramatically. To be confirmed.

Granted the wheels & spoiler are more "bling" than "Race", but the ugraded Suspension & Brakes would be a welcomed improvement in stock form...

I can always resort to MPP to cover my race parts needs! But I wold be bumped to SCCA Street Touring class.

The objective is to get a potent car in the Street Autox class. The more goodies I can get from the OEM, the better as the SCCA limits aftermarket parts use severely in this category.

As far as putting 35k in a ICE race car, expenditures go exponential when racing is involved. I think switching to an electric car for competition, as in other uses, may reduce the costs dramatically. To be confirmed.

Granted the wheels & spoiler are more "bling" than "Race", but the ugraded Suspension & Brakes would be a welcomed improvement in stock form...

I can always resort to MPP to cover my race parts needs! But I wold be bumped to SCCA Street Touring class.

I've had some autocross guys email us asking about adjustable dampers to work with stock springs. They say it is due to class restrictions. Personally, I have always believed you should build your car how you want it, not to some class rules.

Good point. SCCA AutoX is ultra competitive in street class... and comoetition is very addictive. It also rewards good drivers.

That said, you still need a somewhat potent car. Having tried the LRM3 and the M3P with the performance upgrade package and the suspension felt much better in the M3P!