Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD drives insanely fast??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the same issue, its way too 'assertive' esp when starting out from a stop into a right turn. I set mine to 'only necessary lane changes' and 'chill' at the start of every drive.

One problem I have a tiny bit of control over is: it turns into neighborhood streets and leaves the speed set to the feeder street speed, so its always trying to go 45MPH down my residential street and takes off like a maniac as soon as the turn from the big street is done. Expecting this I quickly crank the commanded speed down to 15 while its making the turn, if I can do it fast enough it doesn't violently jerk the whole car around for the first block trying to get to 45.

Reactions: Y_so_Blue
Just set the speed to one that you feel comfortable with.

But suggestion, as evidently a first time FSD user, you are going to have to learn to trust the car. It will take some time and the car will have to earn your trust.
Start out on mostly straight light traffic roads. Then work yourself up from there. You'll need to learn that coming up to a traffic light, with or without cars, that the car is going to stop. If the light is red it will stop and it will take off. It will take time.

I've had a number of times lately that maybe a bicycle will be on the should of the road. The car slowed down. waited to see if the road was clear and then moved left, passed the bicycle and carried on. My wife had already disabled FSD, I tolkd her to trust it (I had seen it work previously) and she turned it back and indeed, it slowed for the bike, we were near a curve, so the car patiently waited until we were clear, then there was oncoming traffic and once it cleared, the car passed the bike.

I'm new to this whole thing and feel the same, sometimes fsd feels like it is driving like a maniac on chill mode. But of course we don't have any trust in our relationship yet so there's that LOL. It drives better than some people I have ridden with, I'll give it that!

Can I ask a related question? We live in a neighborhood with a gate and lots of traffic circles, haven't tried fsd with these more complicated situations. Does it work there? Or do you just click off and manually go thru them? Thanks :)

Joe

.....Can I ask a related question? We live in a neighborhood with a gate and lots of traffic circles, haven't tried fsd with these more complicated situations. Does it work there? Or do you just click off and manually go thru them? Thanks :)

Joe
Gates don't work and FSD Beta may or may not see them as an "obstacle" to stop at or it may try and drive through them. Traffic circles are a "fun" hit or miss.🤪 If there is no traffic in the circle it LOVES to stop before entering. If a car is coming it LOVES to drive into the circles trying to cut iff the other car off. 🤣 🤣

Last edited: