Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance upgrade check box New Configurator

Performance upgrade check box

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Darmie

Supporting Member
Jan 13, 2016
Santa Fe TX.
Had a chance yesterday to drive the model 3 at the Tesla store.

We took out the non-performance model. We want to purchase the Model y and considered riding in the 3 will give us an idea how the UI feels. The adviser mention that the performance feels a big different since it was lowered. I was not aware that there was a difference. This brings me up to the question of the new check box. So, wonder who is selecting the performance upgrades and why. I’m under the impression that you can now have a performance model and not have it lowered? I don’t hear much chatter on this. It also appears that you will not have track mode unless you select the upgrade. The zero to 60 time stay the same, but is there more power in the upgrade or did they just raise the top speed? Anyway, I find the new configurator to be interesting providing these different options. Your insight to the lowered suspension.

performance upgrade.JPG

Yeah, I think the only 'downside' is not being able to fit the 18" aero wheels. But I've never put the caps on my aero wheels so I could have just easily bought my own 18" wheels that fit over the performance brakes.

Now I didn't get the performance because of the deal i got on the 'Stealth'. But for you, since price is the same, it just makes sense to get the performance. And IF you don't want the large wheels, you can just get a smaller wheel set and sell the wheels it comes with.

• Informative
Reactions: Darmie
Had a chance yesterday to drive the model 3 at the Tesla store.

We took out the non-performance model. We want to purchase the Model y and considered riding in the 3 will give us an idea how the UI feels. The adviser mention that the performance feels a big different since it was lowered. I was not aware that there was a difference. This brings me up to the question of the new check box. So, wonder who is selecting the performance upgrades and why. I’m under the impression that you can now have a performance model and not have it lowered?

This has always been true.

BTW, the "lowered suspension" is all of 0.39 inches, it's not much.

A bit of history:

In 2018 you could order the Performance Model 3 for X dollars. You also had a $5000 additional option that gave you the 20" wheels, the larger brakes, the slightly lower suspension, etc. This is where the terms P3D- and P3D+ come from. It's the performance model 3 + or - this $5000 Performance Upgrade Package.

Later in 2018 Tesla decided to remove the P3D- from the website, now only offering the P3D+, but lowering the price on it by $5000. Essentially making the PUP both mandatory and "free"

In 2019 P3D- cars kept appearing in inventory- and you could buy them that way- (and they were much cheaper than they used to be relative to the LR AWD)- but you couldn't "order" one on the website so you had to take whatever color/wheel combo you could find in inventory.

In 2020 the P3D- is back on the website- at the same price as the P3D+. And you once again have the choice of getting the PUP or not on your Performance car.

• Informative
Reactions: YisSerL and Darmie
This has always been true.

BTW, the "lowered suspension" is all of 0.39 inches, it's not much.

A bit of history:

Good info. yes, I remember (although it feels like a long time ago), hearing from Ryan McCaffrey on his Podcast about all the differences. It appears that they made it as simple as they can. It has always been a bit confusing.

That is not much of a lowering of the suspension. Is the small difference felt on the roads?

I have been eyeballing the model S performance ever sense I sold our original S 75 to purchase the X approx 3 yrs ago. After the short drive yesterday in the Model 3, I'm now considering the 3. So, this is good to know how it's being marketed and sold.

Good info. yes, I remember (although it feels like a long time ago), hearing from Ryan McCaffrey on his Podcast about all the differences. It appears that they made it as simple as they can. It has always been a bit confusing.

That is not much of a lowering of the suspension. Is the small difference felt on the roads?.

I think the problem is the lowered P3D+ also comes with heavy 20" wheels and lower profile tires- so I'd expect most of the "feel" difference to be from that than the very slight suspension drop but I suppose you'd need to drive both a P3D+ with 18s (aftermarket since OEMs don't fit) and a P3D- with 20s (and ideally same tires in both cases) to really be able to see how much JUST the drop changes for you.