Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade package now for free!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like P3D- owners will be the ones who are really in bad shape after the refund offer. Paid the same for a car without the brakes, wheels, or suspension.
Well, if you get the refund of $5k then you essentially paid $5-$6k for what appears to be a 1-1.4s acceleration software unlock.

That’s a good deal considering it was $10-$11k for that before, but I’d much rather not get refunded and get the PUP retrofitted onto the vehicle. Unfortunately, I have aftermarket wheels so even if they offered that, I probably couldn’t do it.

At the time I placed my order, I could not justify spending the additional 5K on a package that did not have the rims that were visually appealing to me (especially on a white car) - why pay for something that I was probably going to change... I also felt that the base performance should have come standard with the upgrade 19" rims.

So for the ones that bought a M3P- what do we do??? He just killed at least $5,000 from my car's value...

My understanding is that the free super charger deal is not transferable to the next owner so that feature does nothing to help my resale and I doubt I will ever use that much in free supercharging over the life of the vehicle. I am now basically driving a hybrid AWD Model 3 that is neither a Performance model or an AWD and I essentially paid $10,000 for a software upgrade that will probably be offered for much less in, let's say, about a week or so - based upon Elon's whimsical pricing changes.

I am really having a hard time accepting this, especially when my car was delivered as a dual motor spec car and I had to go through hoops with BOTH customer service and the service center to rectify this "software push"..., which confirms all along that it was nothing more than software to begin with... On top of it all, my car is now at the service center waiting in the queue for a major paint respray to fix all the paint issue on a $2,000 white pearl upgrade. Estimated time to complete... 1 MONTH!

This is my first Tesla and while I was willing to cut the Company some slack about the quality issues, this latest change has really set me off. It is nice to offer the owners who spent the money to upgrade to the + package a choice to rectify this (that is the right thing to do), but he needs to do the same for the others that are now in the middle with what is really now a bastard model. This is not how you build brand loyalty.

I would really like to know how other M3P- owners feel.

Last point, I am sure some will argue that I can take advantage of a full Federal tax credit so I should not complain... That tax credit by the way is being debated both ways - either to repeal it entirely or to extended until 2020 (regardless of the volume sold), so nothing has been decided yet. I would not be surprised to see another price change (going higher) if they extend it out...

Reactions: Jeffcm3
At the time I placed my order, I could not justify spending the additional 5K on a package that did not have the rims that were visually appealing to me (especially on a white car) - why pay for something that I was probably going to change... I also felt that the base performance should have come standard with the upgrade 19" rims.

So for the ones that bought a M3P- what do we do??? He just killed at least $5,000 from my car's value...

My understanding is that the free super charger deal is not transferable to the next owner so that feature does nothing to help my resale and I doubt I will ever use that much in free supercharging over the life of the vehicle. I am now basically driving a hybrid AWD Model 3 that is neither a Performance model or an AWD and I essentially paid $10,000 for a software upgrade that will probably be offered for much less in, let's say, about a week or so - based upon Elon's whimsical pricing changes.

I am really having a hard time accepting this, especially when my car was delivered as a dual motor spec car and I had to go through hoops with BOTH customer service and the service center to rectify this "software push"..., which confirms all along that it was nothing more than software to begin with... On top of it all, my car is now at the service center waiting in the queue for a major paint respray to fix all the paint issue on a $2,000 white pearl upgrade. Estimated time to complete... 1 MONTH!

This is my first Tesla and while I was willing to cut the Company some slack about the quality issues, this latest change has really set me off. It is nice to offer the owners who spent the money to upgrade to the + package a choice to rectify this (that is the right thing to do), but he needs to do the same for the others that are now in the middle with what is really now a bastard model. This is not how you build brand loyalty.

I would really like to know how other M3P- owners feel.

Last point, I am sure some will argue that I can take advantage of a full Federal tax credit so I should not complain... That tax credit by the way is being debated both ways - either to repeal it entirely or to extended until 2020 (regardless of the volume sold), so nothing has been decided yet. I would not be surprised to see another price change (going higher) if they extend it out...
I'm in agreement with you fully.
I certainly would've taken the package free.
So that previous tweet is saying they will take away free SC and put the package on?

If you buy a P3D right now, do you get free SC?

P3D- after refund means you have $10k in your pocket vs P3D+ (ignore free SC). You will get track mode. So then if you WANT, go buy real brakes (better than the PUP brakes), better 19" wheels (you don't want 20s), choice of tires and have cash left over. Sell your aeros for a few dollars since they won't fit. All will be well.

I'm in agreement with you fully.
I certainly would've taken the package free.
So that previous tweet is saying they will take away free SC and put the package on?

If you buy a P3D right now, do you get free SC?

I read his tweet as any P3D with free supercharging can turn it off and get $5k. He didn't tie the refund to performance upgrade package.

P3D- after refund means you have $10k in your pocket vs P3D+ (ignore free SC). You will get track mode. So then if you WANT, go buy real brakes (better than the PUP brakes), better 19" wheels (you don't want 20s), choice of tires and have cash left over. Sell your aeros for a few dollars since they won't fit. All will be well.

Yes, I'd take the refund over the parts for $5k and put on my own.
But I have doubts about them simply giving $5k back if you didn't pay for +. Thats not an option for ordering right now.