Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i had to decline delivery of mine today. Everyone was super nice at the service center. But, rocker panel was dented and scratched down to the metal, and there were a few paint chips on one side of the vehicle.

Bummer, but unfortunately not surprised. Not enough care taken when delivering these cars. We are paying $1200 for delivery so you should expect a car that has not been damaged during transport.

• Informative
Reactions: Nrazar
Ugh. I would be hot given the approaching rebate deadline. In a week or so it'll be worth taking delivery and getting a promise to fix.

Bummer, but unfortunately not surprised. Not enough care taken when delivering these cars. We are paying $1200 for delivery so you should expect a car that has not been damaged during transport.

Yeah. I decided to just cancel my order. I am super bummed and even got a little sick to my stomach when i saw the dent and paint chips because i was so excited about this car. The guy assigned to do the delivery was very nice and honest with me and he told me that my car was one of the best samples they have received so far and that they have seen much worse. So this implies that having paint chips and dents as a result of shipping or whatever else is the norm. I think i'll wait a few more months until they stop ramping up and rushing production. I can live with a misaligned panel that can be adjusted or some piece of trim that needs replacing, but not paint chips and dents. I don't understand why they can't protect these cars like Audi does theirs. have you guys seen what audi does to their vehicles in shipping? They are literally encased in a kind of cloth cover and the wheels are covered as well.

Yeah. I decided to just cancel my order. I am super bummed and even got a little sick to my stomach when i saw the dent and paint chips because i was so excited about this car. The guy assigned to do the delivery was very nice and honest with me and he told me that my car was one of the best samples they have received so far and that they have seen much worse. So this implies that having paint chips and dents as a result of shipping or whatever else is the norm. I think i'll wait a few more months until they stop ramping up and rushing production. I can live with a misaligned panel that can be adjusted or some piece of trim that needs replacing, but not paint chips and dents. I don't understand why they can't protect these cars like Audi does theirs. have you guys seen what audi does to their vehicles in shipping? They are literally encased in a kind of cloth cover and the wheels are covered as well.

Agreed. If a brand new car I start going to have dents and scratches then they at least need to happen while I own the car.

I ordered a Corvette and GM charges $995 for delivery and the car is fully wrapped in a cloth like cover.

I got lucky with my Model 3, no dents or visible scratches in the paint but my scuff plates (plastic things under the rocker panels) we all chewed up. More than likely damaged while being loaded on the transporter. Mobile service is going to replace them.

Agreed. If a brand new car I start going to have dents and scratches then they at least need to happen while I own the car.

I ordered a Corvette and GM charges $995 for delivery and the car is fully wrapped in a cloth like cover.

I got lucky with my Model 3, no dents or visible scratches in the paint but my scuff plates (plastic things under the rocker panels) we all chewed up. More than likely damaged while being loaded on the transporter. Mobile service is going to replace them.

Those cloth covers can't cost that much and they can easily reuse them.

I ordered a black on black P3D on 6/1 and was promised a delivery within 2 weeks. Vehicle arrived on 6/10, but had some issues (chips on front bumper, hood, and windshield). They sent pics, were very honest about it. The delivery manager found another one coming in a few days later and I took delivery today (6/14). VIN was actually lower than I was assigned for the original order but by a few dozen... New VIN is ending in 392xx and delivered with version 2019.15.103. And it has HomeLink in case anyone was wondering, I didn’t expect it based on some of the posts I read.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy

No, that is not the norm and you can’t attribute shipping damage to “rushed production.” I have personally delivered thousands of Tesla’s and only a very small percentage were ever refused due to damage. Do you happen to have pictures? It’s odd that such extensive damage to the rocker panel went unnoticed until delivery. Also, did they offer to match you to a different vehicle? That’s normally the course of action taken when a vehicle fails the receiving inspection at the service center.

No, that is not the norm and you can’t attribute shipping damage to “rushed production.” I have personally delivered thousands of Tesla’s and only a very small percentage were ever refused due to damage. Do you happen to have pictures? It’s odd that such extensive damage to the rocker panel went unnoticed until delivery. Also, did they offer to match you to a different vehicle? That’s normally the course of action taken when a vehicle fails the receiving inspection at the service center.

I didn't take pictures since i wasn't taking delivery. He told me i could call my delivery advisor and request a rematch. The thing is that they were clearly hoping that I would just take the vehicle despite the paint chips and dent. The dent on the rocker panel was covered with either wax or putty and painted over with touch up paint.

View attachment 416424 Just took delivery at Tempe location. I called and asked if I could do it today instead of Friday and they had an open slot at 3:00.
I spent a fair amount of time looking closely and did not find any issues with paint or any other fit/finish.

Good news: Homelink is installed !

2 minor items:
1). They are sold out of 14-50 adapters. Online store sold out, too. Plugged into Level 1 in my garage and getting 5 MPH while I wait on 14-50 adapter.

2) They did not have the Slacker credentials and I am waiting on email from customer support.

Happy Camper

As a follow up: there was a pending software update at delivery (2019.16.3.2). As soon as it was applied, the Slacker credentials issue was resolved. Could have been a timing/reboot coincidence, too.

14-50 was delivered in 7 days, but it was easy for me to keep it topped off with 120v/12a in the interim.

Still loving it a week later !

How much discount should I ask for on a demo performance model 3? Has about 1,200 miles.

Whatever you feel comfortable asking for.

I'd ask them first what are they offering you to take the demo car with 1200 miles on it.

Personally I wouldn't consider it for any less than $6k discount. What makes it a demo vs a customer return? Someone else may have rejected it already.

Some people get crazy deals and posted here. Upwards of $10k on demos and old stock.

"Ask for and assume the discount." See what happens.