Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered from FL on 12/5 (white/black, no FSD) so still very early in the process - nearly everyone here ordered much earlier than I did - I'd be much more optimistic if I'd ordered earlier. My order initially showed estimated delivery of 2-3 weeks but now shows 2-4 weeks.

After reading this thread I started to feel like I'm in the back of the line so I made some calls. After speaking with the manager of my local Tesla store, an SA, a Delivery Advisor (who called me after online chat), as well as a rep at my local DC... I've come to accept that I won't get my car in 2019. Everyone I spoke with has been consistent in letting my know that chances of getting my Performance 3 in 2019 are not good. They've all been very helpful, looking stuff up in the system as they spoke to me.

Here is what I've learned from speaking with them.
  • All of them said they wanted to be upfront with me that, just based on what they've seen so far with Performance inventory, my chances are not good of getting my delivery in 2019. I'm getting used to the idea of missing out of the $1,875 Federal Tax credit -- I think I'm still on board for getting the car regardless though it stings.
  • My local DC said deliveries have been primarily SR+ and LR AWD (including Stealth Performance) which were the focus of production in recent months. My local DC had delivered 'very few' Performance in the past few weeks.
  • I didn't ask about any cars that are currently in transit to DC's because obviously none of those will have my name on them :)
  • For what it's worth, there are Stealth Performance cars sitting in Fremont in 'pre-production' status, meaning they'll be shipped out relatively soon - I asked the DA about Stealth/Sleep Performance cars but in the end I turned down an opportunity to get a Stealth that was available because, as my wife puts it, "if you're gonna go for the crazy one, you might as well go full crazy." The DA I spoke with said the customer he was on the phone with prior to me got the last Stealth available, he then looked it up 'just in case' and was surprised to see 'a bunch' more available - inventory is very volatile on the Stealth.
  • Performance Model 3's are currently being built. They didn't know about availability of those build slots in the current production batch but there has been 'very high' demand for Performance and one of them had heard a rumor that additional build slots might be generated but no guarantee. Based on my order date (12/5), even if I got a newly-opened build slot, chances are not good of me getting one before end of year because the car would have to literally go through the full production process and ship to me in FL in about 3 weeks which is doubtful.
  • There is very little visibility into the Performance manufacturing pipeline - things because more clear for the reps once cars are in a 'pre-production' status, meaning they're ready for VINs to match to orders.
Hope that helps people who, like myself, ordered after the Tesla site changed a few days ago from 'orders will be delivered by 12/31' to 'no guarantee orders will be delivered by 12/31." Of course, hope we all get our orders in 2019!

I will suggest that whenever your order was placed - there is a distinct possibility of snagging a P3D+ (or any car for that matter) - if you get your SA all hyped up to get you set to pick up a car that was from a "no show." There will be lots of "no shows" at the end of December and I expect that inventory will be there for people who are persistent and can get their SA to be persistent.

"No shows" are people who have cars allocated and coming in - but won't be able to pick up delivery because they will be out of town during the last 2 weeks in December - when people are crazy busy.

I had ordered a LR AWD, and got a stealth (P3D-) in my preferred color and configuration - simply because someone in San Francisco wasn't able to pick up their car over the Thanksgiving weekend. They were "no shows" and I got the car. I would still be waiting for my car if I hadn't pounded on many SAs over and over again to find me a car ASAP. When you pick up a car like that it doesn't matter when you ordered. Hell, you don't even have to have an order in to get one, just an SA finding you one. If you go into a sales center, they can possibly find one and match you on the spot. It just means that you need to be there at the right time and often!

I suspect that the end of December will be such a zoo that there will be lots of performance cars (P3D+) that simply cannot be picked up within Tesla's crazy rules of two days wait or you lose it. Their loss will be your gain. Good luck.

Reactions: Tomx17
So just to make sure I have everything filled out correctly, all my "Prepare for Delivery" steps are completed (as well as a photo of my current insurance) and it's currently sitting at "We are drafting up your contract and will contact you when you can make your final payment". Is this where I should be at without a VIN? Trying to not get left behind when they (hopefully) start assigning VINs again next week.

I. LOVE. THIS. CAR.
503ED86E-FC0C-4FEB-947A-0AEA884A67E7.jpeg
5A8F7066-C453-4E3C-8EEA-D78BDB200511.jpeg