Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The also are not making and Red ones....if you look at the Order Tracking sheet. I can only hope that those colors will be queued up soon. What is also a concern is the Model Y production. They are produced on the same line as the 3's. So for every Model Y produced, that is one less 3....

M3P red with black interior ordered 1/28 - picking up 3/11 in NJ I think it has to do with location and/or white interior

Sunday, 3/1 - Ordered M3 LR/AWD, Midnight Silver Metallic, Aero wheels, no FSD

Friday, 3/6 - Discovered VIN has been assigned! (I called Tesla because I saw several inbound M3 inventory cars coming to the Kansas City location and was considering swapping for one of those - Advisor checked and gave me my VIN!)

Advisor said car should be arriving around 3/17, I should be able to pick up the weekend of 3/21 - 3/22...

That was fast... Very excited!

via LR Waiting room.

I swear that they are pushing orders for the east coast because look at the delivery time. VIN to delivery its 2 weeks. So assuming us west coast folks, we should have something but the last two weeks of quarter.

There was an article a few months ago from one of the EV publications that discussed extensively Tesla's production capacity for all models. They specifically noted that the 3 and the Y are built on the same line. The current capacity was said to be 400K units annually as of now, but increasing to 500K by the end of 2020.

There was an article a few months ago from one of the EV publications that discussed extensively Tesla's production capacity for all models. They specifically noted that the 3 and the Y are built on the same line. The current capacity was said to be 400K units annually as of now, but increasing to 500K by the end of 2020.

They start out from the same paint booth and stamping, but they get separated for General assembly. The first y that are already built might have came from the same lines, but the new ones won’t be.

I also ordered Black / Black on 1/25, I feel the same as you, it seems there is zero movement with Black / Black. I'm sure they use some sort of logic when building batches of cars, color must be one of the variables.

I have heard this, the M3P engines are selected by being the best performing from the batch so it makes sense that the M3P would be the last model to be produced each quarter.

I'm ok with that then- selecting the best perfoming of the batches!

I've thought about it and it makes perfect sense that they would build in batches- it would require enormous resources to build one white/white SR then a black/black M3P then a black/white LR, etc. It seems they would wait until thye have x orders of the same unit then build, then the next x orders of the same unit come up and so on. Regardless, I'm ready!

Some of you may have seen my previous post where I had a VIN assigned, a delivery date set, only to be called by my rep three days later who apologized as the car assigned to me was not mine. So it was back to square 1. However, what I did notice was that just before the VIN showed up, I was finding multiple instances of "5Y" data on the source code page - not just 1. I just checked and there are 5 locations that reflect something about 5Y, but not a VIN. Let's see if this means that something is happening and it will show up soon. Always looking for the silver lining.....

Some of you may have seen my previous post where I had a VIN assigned, a delivery date set, only to be called by my rep three days later who apologized as the car assigned to me was not mine. So it was back to square 1. However, what I did notice was that just before the VIN showed up, I was finding multiple instances of "5Y" data on the source code page - not just 1. I just checked and there are 5 locations that reflect something about 5Y, but not a VIN. Let's see if this means that something is happening and it will show up soon. Always looking for the silver lining.....

I thought the Extra 5Y depends where you click on overview. I gotten 4 before.

You could be right....have no idea what the extra 5Y's mean.

Websites often use Base64 encoding on images which basically sends the images to your browser as a long seemingly random string of upper and lower case letters, numbers, and other characters. Occasionally an encoded image will randomly have '5Y' or '5YJ' in that sequence.

If you're using Chrome, rather than doing View Source Code you can hit F12 to go into developer mode, go to the Elements tab on that, then ctrl-f for find then enter either 5Y or 5YJ (or whatever else you want to search for) and you'll see more explicit information on where all the 5Y or 5YJ values are showing up.

Last edited:
Same here...first post for me guys.

Model 3 Performance White Exterior/Black Interior, Autopilot only (No FSD)
  • 2.22.2020 - Placed order from Orlando, FL, USA (with a reported 3-5 Week wait)
  • 2.24.2020 - Received a text stating 3-6 weeks wait
  • 3.06.2020 - Found a VIN in the Source Code
Hopefully I get scheduled soon.

Same here...first post for me guys.

Model 3 Performance White Exterior/Black Interior, Autopilot only (No FSD)
  • 2.22.2020 - Placed order from Orlando, FL, USA (with a reported 3-5 Week wait)
  • 2.24.2020 - Received a text stating 3-6 weeks wait
  • 3.06.2020 - Found a VIN in the Source Code
Hopefully I get scheduled soon.

How many of you are obsessive like me and check several times a day? Is there any pattern to VIN assignment? Morning or evening? It sure would be nice to know that checking once a day will suffice. I'm sure you're probably thinking I should only check every night - not gonna happen! ;D I am happy to see PD3's starting to move. I have new owner orientation tomorrow morning. I'll report back if I hear anything.