Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View media item 121046
I'd like to share my order & delivery experience to anyone who's interested.

TL;DR: Delivery took 2 months after order placement. Bank almost made me miss my delivery. Tesla SA was very understanding on delivery day. Some panels were a little off, but overall, the car is freaking awesome!

---------------------

I placed my order on January 13th. At the time, the ETA was 8-11 weeks before arrival. Figured that was fine since my lease was expiring in March anyway. My SA always tells me that they don't know when exactly was my car going to be built and delivered, but I still ask every other week anyway hoping to hear something different every time.

I got my first Tesla Delivery text on February 13th saying that my car is now expected to be delivered in 4-6 weeks. On February 24th, the car was expected to be built in 2-3 weeks. On March 9th, I got another text saying expect delivery in 2-3 weeks. March 10th was a huge day! It was the day I found my VIN in the source code. A few hours later, it finally appeared officially under my account. A few hours more and I got a message saying that my car is in transit and that I should schedule my delivery. Naturally, I scheduled the earliest that I could find (which was March 13th at 11:00 AM) as I've been waiting for this car for almost 2 months at the time.

It's time to figure out payment. When I requested a quote for a car loan from Bank of America, they gave me an auto-generated one "because they couldn't find the car in the system". It was $18,700 with 3.94% APR. Not a minute after I got the quote, a loan officer called me and explained why that is, and told me that they would need to see an MVPA first before they can give me a more accurate one. At this point, I still have not received my MVPA. I made a quick call to my SA and told him that I finally got my VIN, can I please have my MVPA, and after 3 minutes, it popped up under my documents under my account. I send this MVPA to Bank of America and they gave me a much better quote -- $65,000 with 2.69% APR, not bad!

Now the part that made me very stressed. After sending my MVPA to my loan officer on March 10th, she told me that they will have to process it and generate a loan agreement (if you're financing like me, you will need to sign this and show a copy of it to Tesla before you take delivery of the car) and that it will take 1-2 business days to process. It is now Thursday, March 12th, and I still don't have my loan agreement to sign. I tried to call my loan officer but it only sends me to her voice mail. I tried calling another loan officer and they pretty much told me that they are still processing the document.

The next day comes and I'm getting anxious. My delivery is in a few hours and I still don't have this document. I finally got a hold of my original loan officer and then she told me that someone uploaded the same MVPA to their database and so that reset my position in the queue. At this point, I'm appalled. I definitely didn't resend it, so who did? Anyway, I asked her and her manager if there is anything that they can do to expedite it because I don't want to miss my schedule. It was now 11:00 AM and there is no loan agreement in sight. I got a hold of her manager after an hour and he assured me that he has escalated the issue, but there's no guarantee that I'll get it before or by the end of the day.

I told my SA about the situation and he told me that I should just come back whenever I get and sign the loan agreement. After 2 hours, I finally got the loan agreement, but it has a typo in the contract so I asked them to fix it before I sign in. Thankfully, it only took 5 minutes to do that. I signed the document, sent it to my SA, and went back to the dealership.

The time has come, I finally picked up my car. It was raining outside so it was a little hard to do a thorough build inspection. Although, I already spotted some exterior trim imperfections before dropping it off at the shop for a tint. I immediately scheduled a service appointment.

View media item 121048View media item 121047
The next day came, and I finally picked her up earlier today. Picked up a friend and showed him how cool and crazy fast it is. Hard pull after hard pull, I see my range drop (hahaha). At the end of the day, we both have this crazy smile on our faces. He said he's convinced now that Tesla is the future, and that he's going to place an order soon.

------------

If you're still waiting for your VIN or delivery, hang in there! I can totally say it was worth the wait!

Got a 'real' VIN yesterday

Ordered red performance model 3 with black interior. Massachusetts
1/4 - ordered site says delivery in 4 to 7 weeks would get car 2/1 thru 2/15
1/23 - txt notified delivery in 2 - 4 weeks would get car 2/6 thru 2/20
2/6 - txt notified delivery in 4 - 7 weeks would get car 3/5 thru 3/26
2/13 - txt notified delivery in 3 - 6 weeks would get car 3/5 thru 3/26
2/24 - txt notified delivery in 3 - 5 weeks would get car 3/16 thru 3/30
3/2 - txt from Mike at Tesla - performance are starting to roll out, expect a VIN this week.
3/8 - vin shows up in source code
3/9 - txt notification that car is in transit, and that I should select an appointment
earliest I could pick was 3/20 at 10:00 am
3/14 Vin appeared in account - same as hidden one

Reactions: ofcorona
Hurray, VIN in source code as of Sunday Morning. Eventually heading to Boston area (if not already on the way)

Order placed Feb 27 (blue/white/FSD/stealth version)
Modified order to include PUP March 10 (after Tesla called and said stealths aren't being made until summertime)
VIN in source code March 15

Looks like I'll be getting an end-of-month delivery!

• Informative
Reactions: ofcorona
Anyone getting earlier deliveries than the one scheduled online?

Houston has a bunch of inventory cars now, but my pick up date isnt until 3/22 :(

I've mentioned it before but for those of you who don't know, "Inventory" cars don't necessarily mean that the car is currently in the lot of your dealership / service center. All this means is, "THAT" specific dealership has "THAT" specific vehicle being produced for "THEIR" inventory. Why Tesla makes this so confusing for people is beyond me. I was under the impression that "Inventory" meant it was physically in their possession but that isn't the case. Just keep that in mind.

Noooooooooooooooo!!

I may have to downgrade my order to a LR AWD then - however i don't see a link to modify my order. Shouldn't I be able to do that (i have no VIN) ?
They called at least two of us here letting us know that if we wanted delivery in March they could waive the order modification fee and add the PUP.

If you didn’t get the call you might be in the batch that’s 8 weeks out and they’ll have the non-PUP performance then? Definitely a pain though, but I ordered 18” Martian Wheels so I’m feeling pretty good about that.

My Tesla guy is working on Sundays: later in the afternoon not too long after my VIN showed in source code he mailed me to say my car would be in the area on the 21st and ready for delivery on the 23rd, so I now have my appointment scheduled!

If it goes through as scheduled then it means it was less than 4 weeks for me from order (27 feb) to delivery (23 march). That'll be by far my fastest Tesla ordering experience ever! Very happy... :D

My Tesla guy is working on Sundays: later in the afternoon not too long after my VIN showed in source code he mailed me to say my car would be in the area on the 21st and ready for delivery on the 23rd, so I now have my appointment scheduled!

If it goes through as scheduled then it means it was less than 4 weeks for me from order (27 feb) to delivery (23 march). That'll be by far my fastest Tesla ordering experience ever! Very happy... :D

03/10 - Order Placed
03/12 - Delivery Text
03/27 - Delivery Scheduled (SA - Says car is set to arrive 03/24 in my area so I might get it sooner)

Even on the 27th, that's 17 days from order to delivery. That's awesome!

Dang!! Wish mine was going that quick.. Ordered my M3P on Friday 3-13 and have only received a call from Tesla thanking me and letting me know they would be in touch. I provided all the required info that Tesla has asked for. Now I wait.. Hopefully I will hear something soon, The anticipation is killing me. lol..