Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Permanent Trailer Mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, picked up a MYP a few days ago with the tow hitch. I mtb and emtb regularly so the bike rack (kuat nv for those that care) has to stay on. I notice that the trailer mode doesnt stay on and I frequently have to enable it before heading out. Is there a way to leave it on permanently?

Attachments

• 0505BB5B-3BFC-43A1-857E-7F88604C7846.jpeg
    0505BB5B-3BFC-43A1-857E-7F88604C7846.jpeg
    562.6 KB · Views: 46
Reactions: Msicario
Will that throw anything else off? I just want the least amount of disruptions while Im driving.

So I guess this means trailer mode cant be permanently engaged?
I turned it off on my car because the thing would go bonkers all the time. Pass by the tree next to the driveway? Park in a parking garage? Go through a drive-thru? BONGBONGBONGBONGDIGNDINGDINGDING! I've not had any issues since turning it off. The vision-based parking lines are mediocre at best anyway.

I used a bike rack and other than it acting as a parachute there were no major side effects without trailer mode active. I did occasionally have a phantom car riding my bumper, but I see that with a trailer hooked up too.

I guess you could rig up trailer mode permanently with some sort of adapter or plug-in auxiliary light, but I'd just turn off the park chimes.

I turned it off on my car because the thing would go bonkers all the time. Pass by the tree next to the driveway? Park in a parking garage? Go through a drive-thru? BONGBONGBONGBONGDIGNDINGDINGDING! I've not had any issues since turning it off. The vision-based parking lines are mediocre at best anyway.

I used a bike rack and other than it acting as a parachute there were no major side effects without trailer mode active. I did occasionally have a phantom car riding my bumper, but I see that with a trailer hooked up too.

I guess you could rig up trailer mode permanently with some sort of adapter or plug-in auxiliary light, but I'd just turn off the park chimes.

Ya I think I’ll do that. All the warning buzzes gets very distracting. New to this car so just want to make sure its still safe to drive with it off.

I did occasionally have a phantom car riding my bumper, but I see that with a trailer hooked up too.

I am not too much concerned about the beeping noise, but I noticed that when using FSD, especially on curving roads,
the car was often jolting for no reason when I had my bike carrier, which scared my passengers and forced me to keep
my hands very tight on the wheels to be able to react very fast, which was the opposite of having a more relaxing FSD driving.

I’ve tried trailer mode with the bike rack and it’s worse than just hearing the alerts in reverse. In trailer mode you can’t use autopilot. Also not sure if you have noticed. If you’re in trailer mode and you put the turnsignal on. It flashes at twice the rate. Kinda like cars that have a bulb out. Trailer mode wasn’t designed for bike racks. Now if they would come out with bike rack mode. That would be perfect

Hi all, picked up a MYP a few days ago with the tow hitch. I mtb and emtb regularly so the bike rack (kuat nv for those that care) has to stay on. I notice that the trailer mode doesnt stay on and I frequently have to enable it before heading out. Is there a way to leave it on permanently?

No need to enable it. Can you disable the backup noise? I was able to with my X, but have not looked into it for the Y.

Wondering how much clearance you have between the rack and trunk when it's folded up? I have the same rack but am waiting for a warranty hitch pin from Kuat.

I’ve tried trailer mode with the bike rack and it’s worse than just hearing the alerts in reverse. In trailer mode you can’t use autopilot. Also not sure if you have noticed. If you’re in trailer mode and you put the turnsignal on. It flashes at twice the rate. Kinda like cars that have a bulb out. Trailer mode wasn’t designed for bike racks. Now if they would come out with bike rack mode. That would be perfect
So if I turn off trailer mode and silence the chimes, will the car drive normal or will the bike rack throw anything else off. In other words trailer mode being on or off ONLY affects the reverse cam and nothing else?

No need to enable it. Can you disable the backup noise? I was able to with my X, but have not looked into it for the Y.

Wondering how much clearance you have between the rack and trunk when it's folded up? I have the same rack but am waiting for a warranty hitch pin from Kuat.
I would have to check but I think the clearance is minimal, a few inches maybe.

So if I turn off trailer mode and silence the chimes, will the car drive normal or will the bike rack throw anything else off. In other words trailer mode being on or off ONLY affects the reverse cam and nothing else?
There is one other issue I have too. With the rack in the upright position (no bike) I frequently get fault messages on my screen of a sensor blocked or dirty. Then after a while I will get a Park assist unavailable fault and it will shut the whole system down. I know the rack is doing it because without the rack everything is great. It’s just annoying as hell.

Reactions: Twindaddy76
There is one other issue I have too. With the rack in the upright position (no bike) I frequently get fault messages on my screen of a sensor blocked or dirty. Then after a while I will get a Park assist unavailable fault and it will shut the whole system down. I know the rack is doing it because without the rack everything is great. It’s just annoying as hell.
Thats what Im trying to avoid. I dont use autopilot (yet) so I think I’ll just leave it in trailer mode for now.