Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition to demand "camera on top, media player on bottom" be retained in UI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Escalation VP(TEVP): Hey TEVP#2, take a look at this message.
TEVP#2: How many messages have we gotten about this?
TEVP: Maybe a dozen or so
TEVP#2: I just went the TMC forum. Look at all these whiners about a camera being at the top of the screen.
TEVP: Are you serious? Let me see
TEVP#2: Yep, they even created Petition.
TEVP: Wow...
TEVP#2: How many cars have we rolled this out to so far?
TEVP: About 15 thousand or so.
TEVP#2: hahahahahaha
TEVP: hahahahahahaha
TEVP#2: Send a response that is professional but politely tells them its not gonna happen.
TEVP: Got it.

Many of us use this layout; camera on all the time, and media player (or energy app) on, no map needed.

Messages from Tesla indicate that they are breaking this in "version 9" of the software by forcing the map to cover half the screen and only allowing one other app to be up at a time.

This is a petition from Tesla Model S owners.

Tesla: Don't make this change -- it constitutes damage to our cars, by removing valuable functionality. We demand that Tesla retain the ability to have the camera and media player apps up simultaneously, and we request that they maintain this in future versions of the software. If you do not retain this functionality, we demand permanent warranty support for cars running the older (full-functionality) version of the software.

Anyone who agrees, please add your name and whatever other identifiying information might be useful. We can also discuss how best to send this message to Tesla (who are notoriously poor at listenting to customers).

Nathanael Nerode
Tesla Model S owner since 2013

count me in, I am just refusing the update for now untill I hear this has been corrected in some future release

two pre-ap s85's

I have not received the V9 update yet on my AP 2.5 MS but I keep hearing about how great the new 360 degree view is. Wouldn't this make the always-on backup camera less necessary for normal driving?
Nice in theory, but the new blindspot detection is not available for pre-AP2 cars

Anyhow, the point is not really about losing the camera on top. It’s really about losing the prior configurability to put ANY app of your choosing on top, other than maps. People that don’t need maps are effectively losing use of half of the big screen. A huge downgrade on an otherwise distinguishing feature of the S/X

Last edited:
Like others, I keep the camera function at the top of the screen - I consider it a valuable safety feature. Keeping it on top of the screen, closer to eye level, is significantly different from having it at the bottom of the screen. Further, not being able to switch positions of the two open apps on the screen is a real downgrade. Finally, the map function is great when driving in unfamiliar places, but most of us don't need that function on a daily basis so it seems silly not to be able to choose another functions instead.

I hope Tesla will reconsider and put these key features back.

but most of us don't need that function on a daily basis so it seems silly not to be able to choose another functions instead.

That is definitely not true. Have you taken a poll? I keep maps up every day. I navigate to home and work every day because traffic affects which way i go to get to home or work. Its different most days. Also when i am out driving without navigating, i want to see traffic speeds as i dart around to do errands and such.

There's really one main way to get to work for me. If I check Google Maps before leaving - but I rarely travel during rush hour, so I rarely do - I know how to get home on the longer alternate route. (Even so, usually it's not worth taking another route!) Maps when I'm not on a road trip is 98% useless and not what I want to see - just a distraction. My other half (Model X) and, really, most people I know in this area, don't use their nav 24/7 (whether Tesla or non-Tesla), from what I've seen. If I wanted an always-on map, I'd've kept using our old Garmin. ;-) My other half uses camera+music usually, IIRC; I use music+energy.

I find traffic info useless for errands. When I get close enough to see "oh there's a bunch of red there," it's frequently too late anyway, or else I can get around it without a map. (Also, I tend not to run errands during rush hour.) (Yes, yes, there can be traffic other times of the day; still - not helpful to me.)

But ultimately, they took a useful, flexible interface and #1 made it more work to get to the apps (more driver distraction!); #2 made it very rigid; and #3 forced a distracting (to me) map-always-on that no one was asking for (duh!) (no one asked because they could already have maps always on!). If they used this Model 3-optimized layout to streamling software dev, that's really foolish from what should be a customer-centric company; one size doesn't fit all here. (If I ever look into a 3, I imagine I would find the UI annoying as heck and would not buy one.)

Speaking of which, re. the parody of 2 Tesla VPs talking - many people upgraded in ignorance; that doesn't mean they're happy with the changes. Tesla's new UI reminds me of things I see too often at work - prioritizing "hey this makes a cool demo" over "customers won't use it/won't like it/really love the feature you're removing." Removing features is almost never a good idea.

Also, having it forget and default to music (as I read in another thread) is another bone-headed change; not everyone keeps the music up all the time like I do. What's that? Yes! To the "wut, why use camera" people, please try on empathy. I don't go around thinking "OMG why doesn't everyone use music+energy like I do?!" ... sigh. Some people really miss the point. Your way or my way isn't the only way; but Tesla's made it so there's only their way. The car worked how you, I, him, her, everyone worked - we all work differently. The "upgrade" makes it so it doesn't work how everyone works - it just works on someone designer at Tesla thinks people work.

Did my part of escalating the concern. i encourage every MS owner to do the same.
Messages Image(1012533254).png

Many of us use this layout; camera on all the time, and media player (or energy app) on, no map needed.

Messages from Tesla indicate that they are breaking this in "version 9" of the software by forcing the map to cover half the screen and only allowing one other app to be up at a time.

This is a petition from Tesla Model S owners.

Tesla: Don't make this change -- it constitutes damage to our cars, by removing valuable functionality. We demand that Tesla retain the ability to have the camera and media player apps up simultaneously, and we request that they maintain this in future versions of the software. If you do not retain this functionality, we demand permanent warranty support for cars running the older (full-functionality) version of the software.

Anyone who agrees, please add your name and whatever other identifiying information might be useful. We can also discuss how best to send this message to Tesla (who are notoriously poor at listenting to customers).

Nathanael Nerode
Tesla Model S owner since 2013
I agree. I hate being forced to have the map. It should be a choice but not the default. Want my camera and my music and the ability to switch them top or bottom. Not just music at the bottom.
Model X. September 30, 2017

Tesla Folks,

I haven’t upgraded to V9 yet, but my understanding is the screen no longer splits for viewing the rear camera and the map at the same time. If this is so, it’s a safety hazard because the rear camera is used to see the blind spots and I won’t compromise safety.

I do wish Tesla would hire an interface designer that has actually driven a car and realizes information needs to be seen at a glance rather than having to stare at the screen for several seconds to read the low contrast instrument cluster or tiny font size on the map. Whomever is designing the interface now should be moved to a job that he or she is more suited to.

The best interface was the very first interface that came with the car. It did everything perfect (except for the small map font sizes) from an interface perspective. I am very disappointed in the interface design direction Tesla is taking.

Jerry

I didn't realize that the camera was no longer at the top. What a stupid decision.
Agreed. I have a model x and the camera is essential for me particularly on interstates to see my blind spots.

yes, this is the awful assumption that Tesla has made: that everyone always needs the map and therefore the map should always take over the whole screen, except for allowing at most 1 pop-over app on the lower part of the display. Maybe someday in the future that assumption makes sense when we get FSD...

But for now, a bad assumption and frustrating restriction to the UI, a big step backwards.
The top half of our screen died after v9....RIP
:)