Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition to Overturn Dealership Franchise Laws

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll sign but it won't do any good. The only way for this to become a Federal Case is for Tesla to sue a state for interfering with Interstate Commerce. Once that happens it becomes a federal issue and will need to work its way through the courts. The dealers would have a lot to lose if that happens as there would be a good chance that the courts would strike down these franchise laws and then there would be precedent that would eventually topple all of the dealers across the country. That being said I believe some of the laws might stand. I believe the ones that could stand are the laws that prohibit manufacturers from competing with a franchise in a given market but those are probably tenuous as well.
I'm pretty sure you're incorrect about this. It can't become a case in federal courts except by the route you describe, true enough; but my understanding is that Congress could enact a law allowing electric cars manufactured in the United States to be sold directly by manufacturers, provided that the manufacturer has no existing franchised dealer in the state. If it did so, under its authority from the Interstate Commerce Clause of the Constitution, any state franchise laws would be superseded.

I'm pretty sure you're incorrect about this. It can't become a case in federal courts except by the route you describe, true enough; but my understanding is that Congress could enact a law allowing electric cars manufactured in the United States to be sold directly by manufacturers, provided that the manufacturer has no existing franchised dealer in the state. If it did so, under its authority from the Interstate Commerce Clause of the Constitution, any state franchise laws would be superseded.

robert you may be correct however I think it would be a huge leap to think that congress would ever enact such a law that so blatantly steps on states rights. Congress has proven time and time again that they are beholden to big money and local interests and not really interested in the greater or good or what is fair and right. That's why I think that Teslas best option is the court. The problem with this path is the time involved.

Posted on the ford focus electric site. If you word it correctly, people who have other EVs will likely sign the petition as well since it has the potential to benefit the industry as a whole. Perhaps the leaf site, plug in prius etc.

sign White House Petition for Tesla model..

Overturn franchise laws that limit auto manufacturers from selling their vehicles directly to consumers. | We the People: Your Voice in Our Government

Please consider signing the petition above:

Petition to White House

The idea of helping Tesla Motors to make its non-dealer stores legal seems to have at least some support among the general public, too.
A petition on WhiteHouse.gov urges the Obama Administration to “overturn franchise laws that limit auto manufacturers from selling their vehicles directly to consumers.”
Posted on Tuesday, the petition must reach 100,000 signatures by May 16 to be considered by the White House.
Thus far, it has fewer than 2,000–though we suspect that number may rise as Tesla fans and supporters get wind of it.

Posted on the ford focus electric site. If you word it correctly, people who have other EVs will likely sign the petition as well since it has the potential to benefit the industry as a whole. Perhaps the leaf site, plug in prius etc.

That's a fine idea, vetboy45. In fact it could be carried much further. The petition is not specific to electric cars. Eliminating the middlemen could be of interest to all consumers seeking to buy cars or have them serviced.

Meanwhile, my Friday stock market commentary which will appear on my website through Monday asks readers to consider signing the White House petition: Stock Market

You all DO realize that even setting aside the fact that these are state laws, the President is NOT a king and can not set aside any laws, period. This petition isn't going to do anything, because even if the federal government wanted to take up this issue, Congress is the one that would have to do it.

You all DO realize that even setting aside the fact that these are state laws, the President is NOT a king and can not set aside any laws, period. This petition isn't going to do anything, because even if the federal government wanted to take up this issue, Congress is the one that would have to do it.

But at least more people in the white house would be aware that there is a problem people care about.

But at least more people in the white house would be aware that there is a problem people care about.

Yes, that's right.

And therefore I also have voted, although I live in The Netherlands. I think everybody should do so. We still need a lot more votes to reach the total of 100,000.

Therefore, I hereby ask everybody to vote, wherever you may be living. It's very easy. All you have to fill in is your email address and your name, that's it.

Federal laws regarding interstate commerce trump state laws. The president is the number one lobbyist to Congress. In fact the Constitution requires him to make suggestions to them.

Federal laws regarding interstate commerce trump state laws. The president is the number one lobbyist to Congress. In fact the Constitution requires him to make suggestions to them.

and you think the Republicans in the House give a flying crap what the President suggests? After his failure of gun control, he's going to take up interstate commerce? Yeah, don't think so.