Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pets on Road Trips

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm eagerly awaiting the delivery of my Model S. To pass the time, I've been making preliminary plans for a road trip with it this summer to visit friends and family in Los Angeles and Las Vegas, starting from the SF Bay Area.

One thing I've been contemplating is bringing my dog along with me on the trip, but since I'll be dwelling at Superchargers a bit longer than I would at gas stations with an ICE car it got me to thinking—what to do with my pet while I run inside to say, Harris Ranch Restaurant, and grab a sit-down bite to eat?

Something I've read about but obviously haven't experienced yet is the ability to remotely run the climate control from the iPhone application. Since I expect it to be hot outside (it's summer in the Central Valley, after all) would it be possible to keep the air conditioning going during a Supercharge and while I'm inside of a place where pets aren't allowed? Do other Model S owners do this sort of thing and "get it" when they see a pet inside of a charging Model S? I'd like to avoid the humane society being called...

Anyone with real world experience taking their pets on road trips in an EV that can give some advice? Thanks!

EDIT: If you're new to the thread, I later clarified that I want tips on what to do with a pet while I order takeaway FROM the sit-down restaurant. Not that I want to sit down in the restaurant. I obviously should have chosen my words better.

Last edited:
Me too! Expected delivery is Late June, but I would love information now.
I will be driving semi-annually, if not more frequently, between Seattle area and southern Arizona. I have the dog in car while charging issue as well as charging only at hotels that accept dogs in guest rooms. I would also love to make a east to west road trip sometime.

I have a 110 lb. Black Russian Terrier that goes everywhere with us. Yes, you can remotely start up the air conditioner and run it for half hour at a time. I've done this a few times when it is necessary to leave the dog in the car. You can do this just parked or at a charger.

The dog rides in the back seat where I have a dog hammock with a pad. Works great and she is comfortable riding there on long trips.

If you leave your car inside with the AC on, I would print out a notice that can be taped on the inside of the car windshield or window and can be read from the outside saying something like, "The AC is on inside, the dog is very comfortable." In case someone with good intentions gets worried about your pet and calls the police.

I don't think you should leave an unattended dog in your car on a hot day. Too much can go wrong and by the time you notice and take action, it could be too late. Tie him up outside, in the shade, and take turns checking on him every 10 minutes. You can usually find a window seat, and a place in view to tie the dog so you can always keep an eye on him. You can even use chain and lock collars if you are worried about theft of your dog. But locking a dog in a car and relying on nothing to go wrong, is not a good idea...

What about leaving the dog in the car with the air-conditioning running? Many people do this, but tragedy can strike -- and it has. For example, in 2003, a police dog in Texas died after the air-conditioning in the patrol car shut down and began blowing hot air. The air system's compressor kicked off because the engine got too hot. Many cars, including modern models with computerized functions, are prone to the same problem. In August 2004, a North Carolina couple lost two of their beloved dogs, and nearly lost their third dogs, as result of a similar failure. They had left bowls of water and ice in the car, and the air-conditioning on, during their shopping trip of less than 30 minutes.
Animals are not able to sweat like humans do. Dogs cool themselves by panting and by sweating through their paws. If they have only overheated air to breathe, animals can collapse, suffer brain damage and possibly die of heatstroke. Just 15 minutes can be enough for an animal's body temperature to climb from a normal 102.5 to deadly levels that will damage the nervous and cardiovascular systems, often leaving the animal comatose, dehydrated and at risk of permanent impairment or death.

Laws:
It is against the law in most jurisdictions to leave a pet unattended in a standing or parked motor vehicle in a manner that endangers the health or safety of the animal.
Here is an excerpt from the Cruelty to Animals section of the Maryland Legal Code:
(a) A person may not leave a cat or dog unattended in a standing or parked motor vehicle in a manner that endangers the health or safety of the cat or dog.
(b) A person may use reasonable force to remove from a motor vehicle a cat or dog left in the vehicle in violation of the provisions of subsection (a) of this section if the person is:
(1) a law enforcement officer;
(2) a public safety employee of the State or of a local governing body;
(3) an animal control officer under the jurisdiction of the State or a local governing body;
(4) an officer of a society or association, incorporated under the laws of this State for the prevention of cruelty to animals, authorized to make arrests under the provisions of Art. 27, ß 63 of the code; or
(5) a volunteer or professional of a fire and rescue service.
(c) A person described in subsection (b) of this section may not be held liable for any damages directly resulting from actions taken under the provisions of subsection (b) of this section. Transportation Article 21-1004.1.

Dog Tip: Pets in Hot Cars

Last edited:
If you leave your car inside with the AC on, I would print out a notice that can be taped on the inside of the car windshield or window and can be read from the outside saying something like, "The AC is on inside, the dog is very comfortable." In case someone with good intentions gets worried about your pet and calls the police.

LOL "My dog is in a Tesla and way more comfortable than you are!" :smile:

...what to do with my pet while I run inside to say, Harris Ranch Restaurant, and grab a sit-down bite to eat?

Before I get hung from the highest branch, to be clear, I'm talking about going into a sit-down restaurant to order takeaway. Not staying in there for an hour blindly trusting automation.

Hmmmm....? Can't you just call ahead and pick it up while the dog waits outside?

At one point were planning to use the app to keep the AC on for the dogs while we visited a rest area...but when we got there, there was no cell signal for either the phone or the car! And there seems to be no way to keep the AC on without the app (well, you can leave the door ajar but the dogs wouldn't stay in the car then!). We ended up taking turns waiting in the car while the other person "rested". Then we took the dogs for a walk so they could "rest" as well.

My Golden owns the rear seat. He has a sling that hooks on the four headrests, his towels and toys. What is definitely not nice in his mind is to be left at home while I have all the fun in the Model S. In the past, he actually chewed and licked up hot spots from the anxiety. Normally, he always gets out with me on a leash, but of course can't do that everywhere. My practice and rule is never leave him alone more than a few minutes away, if the car is in the sun or extreme cold. The iPhone app and a/c/heat is always on 68, and I check it every few minutes. If covered or a cloudy day in moderate temperatures, it can be relaxed. He loves it. Usually sleeping until I hit the remote door locks. This car is unique in that respect, and I actually purchased with the remote climate control in mind.

I'm a vet. DONT DO IT. I've seen too many heat stroke dogs where the owner thought it wasn't too hot out. Check google for the stats about how hot it gets in a car over time. Even with the air on its a really really really bad idea.

So you are saying the car at LO setting running constant and keeping the temp at or below 17C is worse for the dogs than driving with the interior temp at 19? Do explain. I can understand fully leaving them unsupervised, but if you keep the app running and monitor temperature, then how is it worse than driving?

Leaving a note on the window is a very good idea and I'll do it, and thank you for the suggestion. Knowing your dog and how comfortable they are in any situation is important. It can be cruel to walk them on hot pavement or subzero snow, or out long in heat with a heavy coat. Some are fine at home alone, but mine watches that back door and beats me to it. He doesn't want to be left. I would never leave an ICE car running, but thank Tesla for these options and flexibility.