Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E just dropped a $3400 paired storage NEM outta nowhere

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get the part that you have a large family, challenging to handle that as it is so can't necessarily reduce or shift loads during the day. But something seems a bit odd when you look at the YoY comparisons for the three months that are shown (May-July) for both 2022 and 2023. There's a massive increase in usage in 2023, like sometimes 800-1100 kwh/month MORE than the year before - and this is despite doubling the size of your solar array (though not sure if the added solar in 2022, so could be that the increase is even greater than that).

Your EV is not new from the pats year - did you birth a bunch of the young'uns in the past year, and there's a whole bunch of added new usage - washing cloth diapers, humidifiers, monitors, more climate control? Or get a job with a much longer commute - like 100 more miles/day? May is usually not even much of a heating or cooling season, so to use 1100 kwh MORE that month, something big changed besides the weather. Slightly good news is most of the increase was in off-peak, so at least the rates were a bit less painful...

• Helpful
Reactions: BGbreeder
I get the part that you have a large family, challenging to handle that as it is so can't necessarily reduce or shift loads during the day. But something seems a bit odd when you look at the YoY comparisons for the three months that are shown (May-July) for both 2022 and 2023. There's a massive increase in usage in 2023, like sometimes 800-1100 kwh/month MORE than the year before - and this is despite doubling the size of your solar array (though not sure if the added solar in 2022, so could be that the increase is even greater than that).

Your EV is not new from the pats year - did you birth a bunch of the young'uns in the past year, and there's a whole bunch of added new usage - washing cloth diapers, humidifiers, monitors, more climate control? Or get a job with a much longer commute - like 100 more miles/day? May is usually not even much of a heating or cooling season, so to use 1100 kwh MORE that month, something big changed besides the weather. Slightly good news is most of the increase was in off-peak, so at least the rates were a bit less painful...
100 more miles a day, close...

One little data point, now easy on me I'm busy... I noticed on around 1.4.23 that my entire Tesla side of things (18 panels, 2 batteries) were OFF via the emergency cutoff switch since about September. Got that fixed with literally the 'pull' of a switch. That only explains Sep-Dec.

Things that have changed, we started driving my model 3 more and leaving a few kids home for appointments, co-op, errands, etc. A lot more. My other car: a 15 passenger Ford Transit.

Not much will change since we recently got a 7 seater 2023 MY to replace the M3.

But looking into economizing on the water heater usage as wife liked to run it in pure electric mode this past winter to keep our garage/playroom/AV room/workout room from going artic. I'm going to pipe the output to the old gas heater vent. If anyone has done this let me know.

Lastly, I'm looking at getting the usage meter mentioned earlier in this post to get more information and take the next steps.

Sounds like EV2 might be something to try.

Last edited:
100 more miles a day, close...

One little data point, now easy on me I'm busy... I noticed on around 1.4.23 that my entire Tesla side of things (18 panels, 2 batteries) were OFF via the emergency cutoff switch since about September. Got that fixed with literally the 'pull' of a switch. That only explains Sep-Dec.

Things that have changed, we started driving my model 3 more and leaving a few kids home for appointments, co-op, errands, etc. A lot more. My other car: a 15 passenger Ford Transit.

Not much will change since we recently got a 7 seater 2023 MY.

But looking into economizing on the water heater usage as wife liked to run it in pure electric mode this past winter to keep our garage/playroom/AV room/workout room from going artic. I'm going to pipe the output to the old gas heater vent. If anyone has done this let me know.

Lastly, I'm looking at getting the usage meter mentioned earlier in this post to get more information and take the next steps.

Sounds like EV2 might be something to try.
What do you mean by "...pipe the output..."? I'm not following that.

Thanks!

BG

What do you mean by "...pipe the output..."? I'm not following that.

Thanks!

BG
route the heat pump exhaust (cold air) from the Rheem water heater to the old gas water heater exhaust ducting...during the winter months only. This would avoid my wife's solution of running it in eletric element only mode (5 kW).

During the summer we love the "free" air conditioning.

Mine is from 2022 the Rheem one from HomeDepot, we set it to 135 to get longer tank usage, but I will look going back down to 120 and taking shorter showers!
Woah woah woah… no need to resort to such uncivilized ways to save a few kWh. ;) You can set it to high demand for times when you or the fam have the power hour in the shower.

127* should drain between 1 and 4kwh/day for the 80gal rheem.
Schedule settings help too. Energy saver until schedule kicks it over for standard morning and evening 132* high demand mode.

Reactions: BGbreeder