Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PGE: Do I lose granfathered NEM if I add batteries?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems impossible to lose NEM.
Not impossible. Unlikely perhaps? However, earlier you argued that it might be possible for NEM 3.0 to take away any NEM 1.0 or 2.0 benefits. Which argument are you sticking to? I can give you a number of scenerios in which I could lose NEM. In terms of the OP I think his concerns have been satisfied. Start a new thread if you want to go down that rabbit hole any further.

Reactions: jjrandorin
When NEM 3.0 is offered, you will lose NEM 2.0 if you install more than 1kw additional PV. Apparently will not lose it if you add storage only.

This is all hypothetical, since things can change, but since NEM 3.0 is expected to be worse than NEM 2.0, you would be losing the benefits of NEM 2.0 when it is no longer offered if adding PV.

Yes, you are theorectically correct. However, earlier you argued that it might be possible for NEM 3.0 to take away any NEM 1.0 or 2.0 benefits. Which argument are you sticking to? I can give you a number of scenerios in which I could lose NEM. In terms of the OP I think his concerns have been satisfied. Start a new thread if you want to go down that rabbit hole any further.
Tell me any way anyone could lose NEM now? I believe legally we have to have. What the future holds is the future, but everyone will have some form of NEM.

When NEM 3.0 is offered, you will lose NEM 2.0 if you install more than 1kw additional PV. Apparently will not lose it if you add storage only.

This is all hypothetical, since things can change, but since NEM 3.0 is expected to be worse than NEM 2.0, you would be losing the benefits of NEM 2.0 when it is no longer offered if adding PV.
Where do you have that fact? I have read nothing like that. I know if you add more than 1K on NEM1, you get moved to NEM2. But, there is no NEM 3, and will not be until best case end of year. And who knows what the rules for NEM1, or 2 or 3 will be then. Not sure under NEM2 if you add more than 1K, what happens? Anyone know.

That statement above is true for NEM 1.0 vs 2.0 already (adding more than 1k of PV triggers a full PTO change to NEM 2.0). As you said, anything with NEM 3 is hypothetical.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ampster
My hybrid inverter is Rule 21 compliant and does sync with the grid so that loads can be shifted to the grid if brief surges exceed the inverter capacity.
Then your inverter is clearly connected to the grid, and Rule 21 requires you to get a new interconnection agreement with PG&E. You would be under NEM Paired Storage rather than straight NEM; 1.0 or 2.0 status need not change. If you are currently under NEM 1.0, there's no fee for the change, but if you are under NEM 2.0, there may be a fee for the application for the new interconnection agreement.

For my Powerwalls, I filed my own interconnection paperwork with PG&E through their online portal, so if you would like some guidance on how to do that, let me know and I'll review the relevant materials from 3 years ago.

Cheers, Wayne