Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Braking - follow distance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am no expert, but as long as the system relies on radar as a primary sensor, I expect this problem will continue for a foreseeable future.

I expect the problem will be fixed when switching to LIDAR but Tesla doesn't have it so I'll take TeslaVision.

This doesn’t really make any sense. Heck, one of the limitations with radar (and lidar to some extent) is limited ability to detect stationary objects at all.

Reactions: Runt8
I've noticed that it seems to be picking up the speed limit of roads near the overpass, like the offramp or the road above itself. Since those aren't highways it forces the car to a speed not more than 10kph over that non-highway speed limit. I've seen the blue cruise control speed change at the same time phantom braking occurs. But not always. Keep an eye out for that. Also, theres a pattern here where it only does this if theres no car behind you, everyone who reports these cases always says "luckily there was no one behind me". Tesla really needs to sort this out, its quite jarring and scary, especially for passengers.
Thx for that. Happened again in same area on return trip, this time with my wife driving, but with less aggressive auto-braking. Will watch blue circle closely next time thru that area for surprise speed limit changes.

"Bug Report" right after it happens.

Thx, haven’t submitted bug reports or feedback to Tesla yet. What is the right way to do that? I have seen mention of voice command for “Bug Report” but then lots of comments that it doesn’t recognize such a command. Have also seen suggestions to email [email protected]. What is the easiest/best way? Would be nice not to have to manually include all the vehicle info, so seems best to use some mechanism in the car or the mobile app, but maybe they have all that correlated with my email address already.

Suggestions, Ideas?

I was using V9 when I had two phantom braking incidents, same stretch of highway several days apart (on the way, then on the way back). It was 2018.39.6.

Still waiting for 2018.42.2, looks like it is rolling out to the whole fleet, not just EAPs. Will be traveling that same route again next month, so most likely will have a comparison with newer software.

I have experienced autopilot phantom braking at the same underpass about 3 times now. Today I realized that all 3 times that it happened, I was on follow distance 3. All times no cars were in front of me and the car behind was about 5 car distance.

Ive been on the same route and same lane for about 1.5 months and am usually on 2 car distance because of traffic and it has been fine. Which led me to believe it phantom braking was fixed but it is not.

I hope software 9 fixes this issue.

Anyone else taking notice of what distance the car is on when phantom braking happens?

I have noticed this a few times but it seemed that the braking response may have been due to the shadow created by the overpass? Does this happen on cloudy days as well?

I had a somewhat novel phantom braking experience today.
I-95 around NY/CT border, at night, twice while going under an overpass (one was extra long as it was part of a train station complex).

The lights were creating sharp lines on the pavement the same way the sun does at certain times of day / conditions.

I hadn't seen anyone mention this happening at night before so just posting this up..