Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom braking so bad I want to return my car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The newest version does state that auto steer (we are discussing TACC here... not sure why you are bringing up auto steer) is designed for use on limited access highways... my printed copy from just a month ago doesn't have this blurb, but yes it is in the newest on-line version... it then goes on to tell you all the limitations on auto steer when you use it on roads other than limited access highways. This is similar to the lawyers putting to always obey the speed limit in the owners manual of a Corvette before going on to tell you that the maximum speed is limited to 186 mph due to the OEM tires.

It then goes on to say that TACC (what we are discussing in this thread) is primarily for use on dry strait roads such as highways. In the new restrictions on auto steer they are very specific about the phrase "controlled access highways", for TACC it only says dry strait roads such as highways. For my daily drive I am on state highways for 90% of the drive, and they are strait as an arrow. I have ONE gentle curve before I get to town and resume manual speed control.

If you want to keep defending this inexcusable debacle of an "advanced" system, you need to speak up to Tesla and have them change the manual some more to limit TACC to controlled access highways only.

Keith

PS: Off topic. I have zero problems with auto steer if I chose to use it on my commute... not sure why you brought up the system that actually WORKS in your arguments to defend TACC.
Yeah and my 2020 manual still has same language. So who is missinforming here buddy?

The person talking about Auto Steer in a TACC thread?

Keith
It was one thing out of all the info I shared from manual.
Here some that you missed or ignored.
“Warning
Due to limitations inherent in the onboard GPS (Global Positioning System), you may experience situations in which Traffic-Aware Cruise Control slows down the vehicle”.

I do agree that is not a good excuse for company who position itself as innovative and leading edge tech also bragging about safety scores and etc. Let’s see what investigation will find out. And move forward from there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fourdoor
It was one thing out of all the info I shared from manual.
Here some that you missed or ignored.
“Warning
Due to limitations inherent in the onboard GPS (Global Positioning System), you may experience situations in which Traffic-Aware Cruise Control slows down the vehicle”.

I do agree that is not a good excuse for company who position itself as innovative and leading edge tech also bragging about safety scores and etc. Let’s see what investigation will find out. And move forward from there.
I want Tesla to succeed because I love EV's and I love high performance, I could give to $hits about autonomous driving. I see the TACC problems as an impediment to success that could easily be solved, not as a reason to abandon the brand. I am a mainstream buyer, and from the mainstream buyer perspective they HAVE to solve these problems or they are going to stumble, especially when there is an easy solution that they could implement any time they chose. I would hate to see Tesla stumble over this problem. I have my speed limit mode work around for the TACC problem, so I will not be selling my MYP any time soon... but if I had not figured that out I would be questioning my purchase.

Keith

Just my $0.02 - I've played around with auto-pilot on my model Y and easily found that it works great on the highway. Get in lane 2, double-click and it'll roll along beautifully handling traffic and turns and whatnot. It does NOT really want to do city streets - you can push it to do that kind of work but it's clearly not what it's good at or intended for. So I use it on the highway, and I have never ever seen "phantom braking". Maybe that is a bigger issue on FSD, but that thing is still in Beta anyway.

Reactions: WhiteWi
I want Tesla to succeed because I love EV's and I love high performance, I could give to $hits about autonomous driving. I see the TACC problems as an impediment to success that could easily be solved, not as a reason to abandon the brand. I am a mainstream buyer, and from the mainstream buyer perspective they HAVE to solve these problems or they are going to stumble, especially when there is an easy solution that they could implement any time they chose. I would hate to see Tesla stumble over this problem. I have my speed limit mode work around for the TACC problem, so I will not be selling my MYP any time soon... but if I had not figured that out I would be questioning my purchase.

Keith
Good. You don’t care about FSD and others do. I use EAP mostly on long trips via interstates and could care less about it while driving locally. I like to drive myself unless we are doing boring long road trip then AP becomes god send. All I want to see is what comes out from this investigation or what Tesla might to do to fix it before investigation is done.

Keith
What's the speed limit mode work around?

So don’t use cruise control period. As I said, drive it like a normal car.

And yes, the bug report “feature” does not send anything back to Tesla. It adds a “bookmark” internally for the vehicle that no one ever looks at.

The only time Tesla potentially collects bug report data is when you are enrolled in the FSD beta. So that applies to like 5 people.
“Drive it like a normal car” umm all normal cars have “cruise control “ starting a half century ago…LOL
Ignorance is bliss

Reactions: boulder.dude
WTH? Tesla is supposed to be such an advanced car. And yet my Subaru Ascent has not once suffered from phantom braking in the 25k miles that I've driven it all over the wester United States and Canada on all sorts of roads. Not one single event. Adaptive Cruise on the Subie works flawlessly and makes driving on freeways much much less fatiguing. I'm going to be pissed off as hell if my new MYLR hits the brakes with my entire family on board for no reason!
Oh it will! Sorry

The problem is the mainstream buyer doesn't realize they are signing up to be a Beta tester.

When I placed my order, basic auto pilot was still listed as "beta", but it was acknowledged to be a "mature" software that functioned correctly almost all of the time. Before I got my car they switched over to this vision only bullcrap. Mainstream buyers are not willing to put up with this crap like the true believers are.

Do I think that standard vision only AP will improve due to the efforts to get FSD Beta to work? Yes.

Do I think any mainstream buyer who really understood they were purchasing a car where the cruise control doesn't work, but it might work in a year or two would buy the car? Nope. The expectation from a mainstream car buyer is that when you purchase a car it will work as advertised, not "hopefully work as advertised in a year or two".

Keith
I agree, I have a 2022 MYP and it sucks in any kind of cruise mode…. Feb 17 and still waiting

WTH? Tesla is supposed to be such an advanced car. And yet my Subaru Ascent has not once suffered from phantom braking in the 25k miles that I've driven it all over the wester United States and Canada on all sorts of roads. Not one single event. Adaptive Cruise on the Subie works flawlessly and makes driving on freeways much much less fatiguing. I'm going to be pissed off as hell if my new MYLR hits the brakes with my entire family on board for no reason!
I‘m going to start this by saying that I love my 2022 MYLR. I love driving the car, I love the minimalist interior, I love knowing I’m driving on sunlight produced by my solar panels a great majority of the time.

That being said…. If you’ve not taken delivery and you are seriously not going to be happy or get angry when this happens, and it will happen, then you should cancel your order now. I’m one of the lucky ones who’s car does this infrequently and with very little severity. Somewhere in this thread I told a story about an incident while I was following an M3 at highway speeds on an interstate. That vehicle has this issue very badly and it damn near caused and accident. I’m pretty sure the driver of the M3 wet himself, I know my wife nearly did. If you’re not prepared to deal with this issue in some form for the next 3 mos to lifetime of the car then cancel your order now. That is my sincere and best advice to you with no malice intended. If there was another choice with comparable performance I’d be selling mine for a host of reasons other than Phantom Braking but I digress. But, there isn’t a good alternative yet so I will dance with the devil for another couple of more years. I do have a reservation on a Fisker Ocean. We’ll see how that turns out. Tesla Fan Boys, please don’t bombard me with all the Fisker FUD, I know the risks.

I’ve said this often on this forum. Once the experienced car makers catch up to Tesla on range and charging networks they are in trouble if they continue to ignore their customers and their very public problems on a host of fronts. They are now selling to the average Joe and not the true believers. AJ isn’t going to put up with this crap for long. These kinds of “oversights” and “missteps” (I’m being generous) aren’t going to fly when Lexus or Toyota or GM is delivering a quality 350 or 400 mile car that doesn’t regularly assault you at highway speeds. Sorry true believers but the end of this BS is nigh. Elon better get his act together. Start by delivering best in class customer service, followed up by in-house testing not using customers with family’s on board as Beta testers and get a PR department in place that can deal with the serious issues that are bubbling up faster than they can be swatted down by some tweets.

I for one, a person that’s want’s Tesla to continue to lead and succeed, think these investigation and suits are for the best and I hope rather than behaving like a petulant child, Elon actually takes these issue to heart and fixes them. We know he’s capable of great, great things when he puts his mind to it. Focus my brother!

Last edited:
Im’ going to start this by saying that I love my 2022 MYLR. I love driving the car, I love the minimalist interior, I love knowing I’m driving on sunlight produced by my solar panels A great majority of the time.

That being said…. If you’ve not taken delivery and you are seriously not going to be happy or get angry when this happens, and it will happen, then you should cancel your order now. I’m one of the lucky ones who’s car does this infrequently and with very little severity. Somewhere in this thread I told a story about an incident while I was following an M3 at highway speeds on an interstate. That vehicle has this issue very badly and it damn near caused and accident. I’m pretty sure the driver of the M3 wet himself, I know my wife nearly did. If you’re not prepared to deal with this issue in some form for the next 3 mos to lifetime of the car then cancel your order now. That is my sincere and best advice to you with no malice intended. If there was another choice with comparable performance I’d selling mine for a host of reasons other than Phantom Braking but I digress. But, there isn’t a good alternative yet so I will dance with the devil for another couple of more years. I do have a reservation on a Fisker Ocean. We’ll see how that turns out. Tesla Fan Boys, please don’t bombard me with all the Fisker FUD, I know the risks.

I’ve said this often on this forum. Once the experienced car makers catch up to Tesla on range and charging networks they are in trouble if they continue to ingnore their customers and their very public problems on a host of fronts. They are now selling to the average Joe and not the true believers. AJ isn’t going to put up with this crap for long. These kinds of “oversights” and “missteps” (I’m being generous) aren’t going to fly when Lexus or Toyota or GM is delivering a quality 350 or 400 mile car that doesn’t regularly assault you at highway speeds. Sorry true believers but the end of this BS is nigh. Elon better get his act together. Start by delivering best in class customer service, followed up by in-house testing not using customers with family’s on board as Beta testers and get a PR department in place that can deal with the serious issues that are bubbling up faster than they can be swatted down by some tweets.

I for one, a person that’s want’s Tesla to continue to lead and succeed, think these investigation and suits are for the best and I hope rather than behaving like a petulant child, Elon actually takes these issue to heart and fixes them. We know he’s capable of great, great things when he puts his mind to it. Focus my brother!
Ben Sullivan is it you? 😂😂

Who is Ben Sullivan?

I will say I agree that Tesla has a ways to go to get phantom braking where I think the competitors are. Not saying other companies don't have problems with phantom braking but I think Tesla is one of the worst offenders.

Last edited:
What's the speed limit mode work around?
In the phone app, under security settings you will see the "Speed Limit Mode" option. This is intended for when you let someone else (such as teenage son or daughter) drive the car so you can limit their maximum speed and lock the car in "chill" mode. When activated, the car will be locked in chill mode and will not exceed the speed you have selected as the speed limit. Now when you drive the car you just press the accelerator down and the car accelerates up to your selected max speed. Because you are pressing the accelerator beyond what is needed to achieve your current speed the wonderful warning "Cruise control will not break" comes up on the screen... and the car doesn't break! It goes to the set speed and stays there! Imagine the advanced technology required for a car to maintain the speed you set it too!!!

There are severe disadvantages to speed limit mode.

1. You are locked in Chill mode
2. You can not adjust the max speed unless you put the car in park
3. You still have to press down the accelerator pedal

If your commute has a lot of speed limit changes this work around is not very good. In my case the vast majority of my drive is on rural highways at 60 mph... for me it has been a wonderful discovery.

YMMV

Keith

• Disagree
Reactions: WhiteWi
In the phone app, under security settings you will see the "Speed Limit Mode" option. This is intended for when you let someone else (such as teenage son or daughter) drive the car so you can limit their maximum speed and lock the car in "chill" mode. When activated, the car will be locked in chill mode and will not exceed the speed you have selected as the speed limit. Now when you drive the car you just press the accelerator down and the car accelerates up to your selected max speed. Because you are pressing the accelerator beyond what is needed to achieve your current speed the wonderful warning "Cruise control will not break" comes up on the screen... and the car doesn't break! It goes to the set speed and stays there! Imagine the advanced technology required for a car to maintain the speed you set it too!!!

What if the car tries to brake for a really good reason and your foot is on the accelerator? I'm not criticizing, just wondering.

What if the car tries to brake for a really good reason and your foot is on the accelerator? I'm not criticizing, just wondering.

This does not affect emergency braking. Just like the video's you see of a Tesla accelerating into an intersection when the light goes green and someone coming the other way runs the red light. The Tesla emergency braking kicks in even though the driver has his foot on the accelerator. The warning on the screen is "cruise control will not brake" not "Emergency braking disabled"

One of the most annoying things about TACC is that it is NOT reacting to an emergency situation and saving my life... it is just hesitating like an inexperienced driver... I don't want to ride with a 15 year old practicing to get their license any more than I want to drive with TACC in control of my speed.

Hope this helps,

Keith