Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom braking so bad I want to return my car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Again I don’t have any problems with V11 as for the new Vision system I will give my honest opinion once I have our MY delivered some time between April-May. I also find it a little bit comical when people who doesn’t like something about Tesla try to say it is dangerous lol like it is supposed to validate their dislike more.
Looks like you will love your vision only Model Y unless they break AP again between now and when you take delivery... unless you sign up for FSD Beta that is :)

Keith

We shall see
I’m actually interested to hear your experience. There’s a couple of posts in another thread from two people, both on the same software but with dramatically different experiences. If those experiences are accurate and consistent it points to a much bigger problem for the Tesla engineers and programmers - the difficulty accommodating and providing similar results and experiences with differing hardware.

Sandy Munro talked about Tesla’s approach of continual improvement and how they don’t wait for a model year to introduce new hardware or features. The drawback to this approach is they have more variations to deal with. Essentially, Toyota has v2021 and v2022. Tesla has v2021.1, v2021.2, v2021.3… Not all of the changes affect AP/TACC, and it may also be that it’s not the cause, but I imagine it’s at least a contributing factor.

Lots of banter on this thread, but since my update to 2022.4.5.17 the PB issues have pretty much went away. I won’t say it’s prefect, it slowed once Friday for an oncoming bus in the dark on a 2 lane highway…but for all practical purposes TACC is completely usable on 2 and 4 lane highways night and day now.
Agreed. But Tesla fixed that goodness with 2022.8.2 bringing PB back with a vengeance.

Agreed. But Tesla fixed that goodness with 2022.8.2 bringing PB back with a vengeance.
Why are you giving a thumbs down Whitewi? This is exactly what I was talking about when I said I was worried that they would break what they had fixed. I now know to not download 2022.8.2 if it comes up in my download que. I will be turning off the advanced option for downloads tonight. Let others experiment and post here about the next software iteration that actually works.

Keith

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: WhiteWi
Hey Sam, did you have 2022.4.5.17 before you updated to 2022.8.2?

Keith
No, I had 2022.4.5.18 for a day but didn’t drive the car that day. I also had 2022.4.5.16 for a few weeks though and had really decent driving on that release.

Why are you giving a thumbs down Whitewi? This is exactly what I was talking about when I said I was worried that they would break what they had fixed. I now know to not download 2022.8.2 if it comes up in my download que. I will be turning off the advanced option for downloads tonight. Let others experiment and post here about the next software iteration that actually works.

Keith
If you notice, @WhiteWi will disagree with anything remotely negative towards Tesla and never seems to have any problems that everyone else has.

Damn. 2022.4.5.17 has reduced PB for me drastically.
I would also be hesitant to upgrade to 2022.8.2 or 2022.8.3 for the same reason. That said, I have not been offered them yet.

I did get a flashing alert and last night by the software to take control! There's a big red truck immediately in front of you-visualization that turned out to be due to a 2x1 foot red campaign sign by the side of the road. No phantom braking, however.

The software upgrade advanced toggle says that upgrades will be offered based on vehicle specifics as well as geography. I wondered about the geography thing. Why that? What do they mean.

At any rate, I turned off advanced. I will wait for a few others to experience and see what comes up.

Reactions: sleepydoc
I did get a flashing alert and last night by the software to take control! There's a big red truck immediately in front of you-visualization that turned out to be due to a 2x1 foot red campaign sign by the side of the road. No phantom braking, however.
cases like this are odd - if the car is worried enough that it starts yelling for you to take control, why doesn’t it brake? I’ve Experienced the same think and it never made sense to me.

Reactions: DrGriz
cases like this are odd - if the car is worried enough that it starts yelling for you to take control, why doesn’t it brake? I’ve Experienced the same think and it never made sense to me.
As it was, it was just funny. Had it braked, it would have really bothered our passengers (and me).

BTW, I was not using TACC or Autosteer. Straight road with no lane markings at all. For what that's worth. I have driven past that sign 20 times without anything happening previously, so who knows?