Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom braking to be investigated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Phantom braking happens and it's annoying, sometimes even embarrassing with other people in the car who are expecting better from a technology company. Any day now, expect a Tesla cult member to jump in on this thread to convince you:
1. Other automakers do it worse and you should expect it because of that.
2. You opinion is wrong based on the above flawed assumptions.
3. Your opinion is clearly wrong because of all the hyperlinks posted that you won't bother to read.
4. Your opinion is wrong and you're a twit now because you've failed to succumb to my hysterical arm waving.
5. Repeat items 1 - 4 in the instance of continued debate.

Phantom braking happens and it's annoying, sometimes even embarrassing with other people in the car who are expecting better from a technology company. Any day now, expect a Tesla cult member to jump in on this thread to convince you:
1. Other automakers do it worse and you should expect it because of that.
2. You opinion is wrong based on the above flawed assumptions.
3. Your opinion is clearly wrong because of all the hyperlinks posted that you won't bother to read.
4. Your opinion is wrong and you're a twit now because you've failed to succumb to my hysterical arm waving.
5. Repeat items 1 - 4 in the instance of continued debate.
Will a Youtube link be fanboy-tastic enough?

FSD hallucination (speedbumps on motorways), At some point after 20:40 they discuss being able to predict when FSD/Autopilot might have a problem. I can't find it now, but on this or another @DaveT / James Douma video, James says that at one place he realised that the car consistently kept imagining a pedestrian and James could kind of see it too.

I don't like using Autopilot on busy UK roads, but found it good in Germany. It always seems to want to switch off when near trucks - presumably narrow lanes.

At some point after 20:40 they discuss being able to predict when FSD/Autopilot might have a problem
My ID.3 alerts with a front assist warning 90% of the time I turn right out of my road. It's on the brow of small incline on a sweeping bend, with cars parked on the left. For some reason it has an issue almost every time. It doesn't brake, just the warning.

I wonder if radar/adaptive cruise in older cars relies solely on whats in front of you with radar backup. Tesla seems to get spooked by shadows which may be vision related, and trucks two lanes over suddenly jumping towards you in the visualisation - perhaps a parallax/pillar mirror issue. Both would be not issues with cars without cameras. I don't even know why TACC needs to see cars to your left unless they start crossing into your path. If the simpler older solutions worked solidly, why change them?
The last car I had with adaptive cruise control was a BMW 540i, which had both radar and cameras looking forward, sideways and rearwards. It also had BMW's equivalent to Autopilot. The adaptive cruise was essentially flawless, so I don't think that the use of cameras should be an issue per se. I have to conclude that BMW's software is simply better developed than Tesla's, which, given Tesla's FSD ambitions, came as quite a shock to me as well as a great disappointment.

The BMW auto steer was not as effective as Autopilot (it would bail out in narrow lanes and would hug the lefthand side of M way lanes). However the failure mode for the BMW system was to simply hand control back to the driver, not jam on the brakes!

• Informative
Reactions: sckor
I changed mine to do current speed after motorway driving with wrong speed limits.

It makes no difference being on speed limit or current speed, it still does it.

I've just read the manual that you posted. It appears that they explain clearly the limitations of the TACC. and warnings of what may happen.

Warning
Traffic-Aware Cruise Control may occasionally cause Model Y to brake when not required or when you are not expecting it. This can be caused by closely following a vehicle ahead, detecting vehicles or objects in adjacent lanes (especially on curves), etc.

Warning
Due to limitations inherent in the onboard GPS (Global Positioning System), you may experience situations in which Model Y slows down, especially near exits or off-ramps where a curve is detected and/or you are navigating to a destination and not following the route.

The behaviour I have witnessed isn’t ‘phantom braking’. At specific points on specific roads the TACC changes it’s maximum set speed with no input from me. It’s something that is repeating every time I drive down the same stretch of road. It changes from 70mph to 30 or 40mph (depending on which location) meaning a the car slaps on full regen to get the speed down to the new set speed. The speed limit indicator in the red circle doesn’t change on screen.

It happens on straight stretches of wide major trunk roads with no corners, bridges or lorries in sight. It’s just utterly frustrating when it happens.

I do get occasional phantom braking around lorries mainly, sometimes it’s them slowly drifting to the lane divider, other times it then in a lay-by and the road is curving to the right so it looks like they are actually in your lane ahead. As others said if it’s going to happen, it’s usually a curtain sided trailer rather than a ridged one. You can often predict it before it happens.