Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone app Unlocks Door but does NOT Start Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been using my Phone app to unlock the car door and when I get in the passenger seat, the car is ready to drive.
Until today when on different occasions at 3 different locations, I was able to open the door with my Phone app but when I sat down and looked at the display, it advised me to use my Tesla key Card.
I didn't not change anything but for some reason, the Phone app is no longer able to start my car.
Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Bob

Restart your phone, restart the car by holding both buttons on the wheel until the screen turns off.

Occasionally, I get an issue like this but it's fixed when I turn Bluetooth off and on again with my phone.

You might also want to go into your "keys" section of the car's settings and make sure you still see your phone as a key. However, because it seems inconsistent and strange, I suspect a restart of either the car or the phone will solve the issue.

Reactions: Msicario
I haven’t had any issues with my phone key until today. Hopped into the car fine. But then would not bring up the pin to drive screen with a tap of the brakes or the stalk. I had to try several times and turn on and off Bluetooth on my phone before it detected it and let me start. Extremely annoying - what if Freddy Krueger was chasing me?

It also caused a fight between me and my wife because I cursed under my breath at the Tesla and she just had to insert herself and make it a big thing instead of just let me vent a little at the car.