Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dumb question I know….how do you unlock the doors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This drives me nuts and I have yet to figure it out. I’ve googled and have tried what I’ve researched but still seems unsuccessful.

How do you unlock the passenger doors? Sometimes I have things in the back seat and it takes me 5 mins to figure out how to get unlocked. Pushed so many things I don’t know what worked.

When I click the lock on my phone two times it just honks and relocks.

Get in and push the screen and nothing but I think eventually works?

But I don’t want to get in to unlock I just want in the back seat how do you unlock the doors??

Thanks!!

Check your unlock settings. You can influence this behavior. Unlock all doors vs unlock only driver first.

Driver Door Unlock Mode​

Enabling Controls > Locks > Driver Door Unlock Mode only unlocks the driver door when you first unlock Model Y. The driver door unlocks only if a key is present on the driver side of the vehicle and not the passenger side. To unlock the remaining doors, long press the button located at the top of the interior driver door handle, use the touchscreen, mobile app or press the key fob a second time.

Check your unlock settings. You can influence this behavior. Unlock all doors vs unlock only driver first.

Driver Door Unlock Mode​

Enabling Controls > Locks > Driver Door Unlock Mode only unlocks the driver door when you first unlock Model Y. The driver door unlocks only if a key is present on the driver side of the vehicle and not the passenger side. To unlock the remaining doors, long press the button located at the top of the interior driver door handle, use the touchscreen, mobile app or press the key fob a second time.
Exactly. I don’t enable this option and I can open any door when the car is unlocked.

This drives me nuts and I have yet to figure it out. I’ve googled and have tried what I’ve researched but still seems unsuccessful.

How do you unlock the passenger doors? Sometimes I have things in the back seat and it takes me 5 mins to figure out how to get unlocked. Pushed so many things I don’t know what worked.

But I don’t want to get in to unlock I just want in the back seat how do you unlock the doors??

Thanks!!
Door unlock mode goto control/locks

Driver unlock mode-off this will unlock all doors &trunk

Driver unlock mode-on this will unlock only the drivers door

Reactions: Tessa Robin
As others mentioned, turn off driver door unlock mode.

Or if you rather leave it on, you can open the driver door, press and hold the door release button to unlock the rest of the doors then go back to open the door you wanted to open.

Or buy the key fob and you can unlock all doors when driver door unlock mode is on by clicking the middle of the fob 4 times.

Thanks!!
Also, with it enabled, once the drivers handle is presented, a second "double tap" in the app will then present the other three handles. So you can leave it enabled for when you're driving alone for safety, but can also open all doors easily when you have passengers or need to access the back seat for a laptop, etc. ( I put my laptop bag in the back seat when driving to work)

Also, with it enabled, once the drivers handle is presented, a second "double tap" in the app will then present the other three handles. So you can leave it enabled for when you're driving alone for safety, but can also open all doors easily when you have passengers or need to access the back seat for a laptop, etc. ( I put my laptop bag in the back seat when driving to work)
Thanks that’s what I’m looking for and it doesn’t work. Mine locks unlocks just the driver. I had another Tesla driver try and show me the other day and said same things that’s odd it doesn’t work. So I guess it is supposed to be that way so I’ll have it looked at.

Tessa Robin, this is exactly the setting that you need to look for (see it directly in the owner's manual here):

Driver Door Unlock Mode​

You posted in the Model Y forum so we presume this is what you have. These instructions from scgaskill are for the Model S and do not apply to the Model Y. Door handles only present (push outward so they aren't flush with the door and can be pulled) on the Model S and the Model Y has completely different door handles that do not present and can be pulled at any time, unlocked or locked.

The lock button in the app does not work this way for the Model Y if you have the Driver Door Unlock mode enabled, so it's not a solution for you. See the Driver Door Unlock Mode instructions above. If changing that setting doesn't work for you, there's something wonky with your Model Y and you may need to request a service visit.

Thanks that’s what I’m looking for and it doesn’t work. Mine locks unlocks just the driver. I had another Tesla driver try and show me the other day and said same things that’s odd it doesn’t work. So I guess it is supposed to be that way so I’ll have it looked at.

I've enabled the Driver Door Unlock Mode in my Model Y. I have the same experience you do - I can't unlock any other door aside from the driver's door with the Tesla app and it's a pain when I have something to put in the back seat. It's important to me to keep this setting enabled for safety reasons - as a small woman, I don't want someone else to be able to get in my car once I unlock it unless I intentionally want to let them in. My solutions when I need to open the trunk or the rear door on the driver's side are:
  • Open the driver's door and hold down the door unlock button (while the door is still open) until the lights flash, which indicates that all doors are now unlocked
  • Use the Tesla key fob (yay for a useful Christmas gift) and double click once to open the driver's door, then double-click again to unlock all other doors
  • Use the "Unlatch door" option in the Watch for Tesla app on my Apple Watch

Last edited: