Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone charging size issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

h2ofun

Aug 11, 2020
auburn, ca
Okay, we just picked up our model Y. We went to try the wireless phone charging. On my friends smaller phone, it fits and works.
But on my wifes and mine, we have the Samsung S23 ultra, and it does not fit in the slot, so does not charge.
Has anyone found a way to modify with something so we can wireless charge our larger phones in the Model Y?

These damn manufacturers just need to start making phones smaller again. At least offer an option for a smaller one. The Pixel 5 was the last of the perfectly sized Pixels IMO. The rest are all gigantic and that's coming from someone with hands large enough to palm a basketball starting in 6th grade.

My S23 Ultra in a UAG Metropolis LT Pro case fits and charges on the MYLR's charging pad. An iPhone 14 Pro Max fits, but doesn't charge due to Apple's 'different' positioning of the charging coil in their phones.

Are you using an Otterbox Defender or other extra-bulky case? I've used those in the past and had problems with most wireless chargers.

My S23 Ultra in a UAG Metropolis LT Pro case fits and charges on the MYLR's charging pad. An iPhone 14 Pro Max fits, but doesn't charge due to Apple's 'different' positioning of the charging coil in their phones.

Are you using an Otterbox Defender or other extra-bulky case? I've used those in the past and had problems with most wireless chargers.
I forget the model or case, but yep with it on, does not fit. My wifes phone, if we take her case off, it just fits and charges. :(
The case has no issues with my charging on my various wireless charges. Its just the width is to wide so cannot fit into the space. :(
Luckily the battery is SO good, that less of an issue. I can hook a USB-C cable to charge. And with the mapping in the car, do not need to use my phone for GPS travels. Oh well.

@h2ofun sorry for the off topic, but I see you have 30kw of solar, wow! What is your yearly production if you don't mind me asking? I just paid deposit for a 10.5kW system that should generate around 12,800kW/year and roughly match our consumption. 🤞 Might have to expand if we ever go with a nice heat pump setup.

@h2ofun sorry for the off topic, but I see you have 30kw of solar, wow! What is your yearly production if you don't mind me asking? I just paid deposit for a 10.5kW system that should generate around 12,800kW/year and roughly match our consumption. 🤞 Might have to expand if we ever go with a nice heat pump setup.
About 33MWh. My best day as been 185kwh, worst 5kwh

I have a lot of poor facing panels, like north, but they do great in the summer.

I use like 50 to 60kwh per day just from my minisplit heat pumps so yep, heating takes a LOT of suds.
This is why my input to folks is to at the beginning, put on as much solar as you can fit, and get approval, since going back
to expand is just about impossible!!!
I have never seen anyone wish they would have gone smaller . I was getting ready for if I ever got an EV, or more, since I installed
5 EV charging locations in my garage. I am up to 1 EV now, and still offer free charging to all my friends. Just had one charging his
Tesla today in my garage. A gen 3 wall connection, if I can get installed, will let us charge 50% faster. :)