Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone key issues since latest app update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Samsung Galaxy Fold 4 and wife has a Samsung Note 20 Ultra, both running Android 13. Tesla App 4.15.1-1483. Car id a 2022 Model X Plaid.
Since the latest app update, phone key only works 5 percent of the time. I granted all pernissions to the app and all optimization/power savings is off on the phone. Both phones work as key card via NFC but not as phone key most of the time. Reset car and phones multiple times, uninstalled and re-installed app and phone key and still the same issue. Re-installing the key was also a challenge as car couldn't connect to the phone. It works about 5% of the time. It is most definitely related to the latest app update. Anyone here with a Samsung Fold 4 or Note 20 Ultra experiencing thr same issue?

Reactions: ArchHamster
I think I have figured out how to get it to work on my unlocked fold3.

Android 13 added WiFi calling and I think this is what screwed things up and also why it's 70-80% or less working for some people. If you are within your home's WiFi you are good and it works normally. If you are out and about, it doesn't work. I'm sure you all received the pop up option to turn on WiFi Calling once you updated to Android 13 and just clicked OK like I did. Also this is probably the reason Verizon locked phones got an update fast in Jan to turn this off.

Anyways here's something you guys can try to help validate my solution. Go to Settings - search for WiFi , select 'Connections', turn off WiFi Calling option. Restart your phone.

Now go and use your phonekey as usual.

Notes on my solution, I went back down to Tesla app v4.14 and it still didn't work. That's why I looked for more reasons why it worked for some. Anyhow I'm currently on 4.14, I believe latest is 4.16. I'll try 4.16 later but hopefully some of you fold3 and 4 people can tell me if it works before I do it.

Upvote 0
I think I have figured out how to get it to work on my unlocked fold3.

Android 13 added WiFi calling and I think this is what screwed things up and also why it's 70-80% or less working for some people. If you are within your home's WiFi you are good and it works normally. If you are out and about, it doesn't work. I'm sure you all received the pop up option to turn on WiFi Calling once you updated to Android 13 and just clicked OK like I did. Also this is probably the reason Verizon locked phones got an update fast in Jan to turn this off.

Anyways here's something you guys can try to help validate my solution. Go to Settings - search for WiFi , select 'Connections', turn off WiFi Calling option. Restart your phone.

Now go and use your phonekey as usual.

Notes on my solution, I went back down to Tesla app v4.14 and it still didn't work. That's why I looked for more reasons why it worked for some. Anyhow I'm currently on 4.14, I believe latest is 4.16. I'll try 4.16 later but hopefully some of you fold3 and 4 people can tell me if it works before I do it.
I've had wifi calling off this whole time. This is actually a known bug in low power Bluetooth within android13. Google fixed it and pushed the update to pixel devices back in December. The rest of us just gotta wait.

Upvote 0
I've had wifi calling off this whole time. This is actually a known bug in low power Bluetooth within android13. Google fixed it and pushed the update to pixel devices back in December. The rest of us just gotta wait.
That's interesting, with WiFi calling off, I did notice it's working as phone key ( I can hold it up to the door frame at the very least if it doesn't auto open) and I can start the car without my key card.
It is still not auto unlocking consistently so I do have to pull out my phone from my pocket.

Better than before but not entirely fixed, hoping that BT fix comes soon.

Upvote 0
If you are willing to give it a go, I wrote some steps for you to follow. Best case scenario you get the Phone Key working perfectly again and you provide me with a data point. Worst case, it still doesn't work and you get back to the Play Store version of the app and wait until it gets fixed on a future update...

1.- You first need to open the Play Store and click on your profile icon on the upper right corner. There, click on: Manage apps & device.
2.- Next, click on the Manage tab on the upper left, next to the Overview tab.
3.- Find the Tesla app by scrolling on the list of apps and click on it.
4.- Click on the 3 doted menu on the upper right corner and unselect the Enable auto update, or just leave it unselected if that's the case.
5.- Next, click the Uninstall button under the Tesla logo and close the Play Store.
6.- Now, navigate to: Tesla, Inc. APKs on your device's web browser and download whatever older Tesla app version you like.
7.- Make sure you download the "nodpi" version. This way, you don't need to download any additional apps to install it.
View attachment 887870
8.- Once its finishes downloading. Go to your My Files app on your phone and click on Internal Storage and then Download. The Tesla app installer should be right there, click on it and hit Install.
9.- Once its done installing, you can delete the Tesla app installer by pressing and holding on the file and clicking Delete on the bottom right of the screen.
10. Open the Tesla app, Sign back in and configure all your settings as you had them before. Don't forget to grant the Tesla app all the required permissions for it to operate correctly.

Whenever you feel the need to return everything back to the way it was, just perform steps 1 through 4 again, but this time add the checkmark back to the Enable auto update on the Tesla app in the Play Store, this will allow the app to continue updating with every new release of the app.
Thanks a lot for this detailed steps list. I had the same problem suddenly on my Samsung S20 and following these steps, using older version of Tesla App, the problem is gone (for now). Regard!

Reactions: Art VandeIay
Upvote 0
I have a Samsung Galaxy Fold 4 and wife has a Samsung Note 20 Ultra, both running Android 13. Tesla App 4.15.1-1483. Car id a 2022 Model X Plaid.
Since the latest app update, phone key only works 5 percent of the time. I granted all pernissions to the app and all optimization/power savings is off on the phone. Both phones work as key card via NFC but not as phone key most of the time. Reset car and phones multiple times, uninstalled and re-installed app and phone key and still the same issue. Re-installing the key was also a challenge as car couldn't connect to the phone. It works about 5% of the time. It is most definitely related to the latest app update. Anyone here with a Samsung Fold 4 or Note 20 Ultra experiencing thr same issue?
I have to same issue same problem, never solve the problem after reset and reboot ,I went to the Tesla service center they told me that's the Samsung new phone doesn't work, they aware this problem, try to working on this issue.

Upvote 0
So as i mentioned earlier, the key issue is fixed.... But i noticed today that on the power app, i used 4% of battery because of the "mobile app". I wonder if the fix is now keeping the car awake while in range... Which would really sucks for me as there is only a wall and maybe 15 feet between my bedroom and my driveway. The app always shows "connected".

Anyone else on Android notice this high level of battery usage?

Upvote 0
So as i mentioned earlier, the key issue is fixed.... But i noticed today that on the power app, i used 4% of battery because of the "mobile app". I wonder if the fix is now keeping the car awake while in range... Which would really sucks for me as there is only a wall and maybe 15 feet between my bedroom and my driveway. The app always shows "connected".

Anyone else on Android notice this high level of battery usage?
You could check your Bluetooth settings if it's been set to Unrestricted or Optimized and try Optimized if you're the former. Go to Settings>Apps>click on drop down icon thing to select Show System Apps> Find Bluetooth on the list>Battery>check here if it's unrestricted or Optimized.

I had set mine to Unrestricted to have the phone key work better before the security update. This also fixed some watch people's issues. But you might want to do the opposite of you are trying to get it to disconnect from your scenario.

Upvote 0
You could check your Bluetooth settings if it's been set to Unrestricted or Optimized and try Optimized if you're the former. Go to Settings>Apps>click on drop down icon thing to select Show System Apps> Find Bluetooth on the list>Battery>check here if it's unrestricted or Optimized.

I had set mine to Unrestricted to have the phone key work better before the security update. This also fixed some watch people's issues. But you might want to do the opposite of you are trying to get it to disconnect from your scenario.
You are right... I had also set it to Unrestricted when I first started having problems. Just changed it back to optimized to see what happens. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Yes! I have a Z-flip Samsung and it is doing the same thing. I've tried removing the app from my phone and re-installing after a complete reboot of my phone ( I also removed my previous profile from my 2018 Model 3). I was able to reconnect the phone to my car but I was NOT able to re-establish my phone as a phone-key. I have to use my key card now.

Upvote 0
Hi there Florida Sun,
I just got a Y 6 days ago. I have a Note 20 Ultra. The App wont let me log in now. It did for the month before I got the car. When I got the car, the Tech couldn't pair the cell phone with the car and gave up after 20 minutes. My son has a Pixel 6 Pro and it works fine 100% of the time. So, I am stuck. Tesla Support cant figure it out either. It seems to be a "Samsung" issue.

Upvote 0