Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone key issues since latest app update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Samsung Galaxy Fold 4 and wife has a Samsung Note 20 Ultra, both running Android 13. Tesla App 4.15.1-1483. Car id a 2022 Model X Plaid.
Since the latest app update, phone key only works 5 percent of the time. I granted all pernissions to the app and all optimization/power savings is off on the phone. Both phones work as key card via NFC but not as phone key most of the time. Reset car and phones multiple times, uninstalled and re-installed app and phone key and still the same issue. Re-installing the key was also a challenge as car couldn't connect to the phone. It works about 5% of the time. It is most definitely related to the latest app update. Anyone here with a Samsung Fold 4 or Note 20 Ultra experiencing thr same issue?

Reactions: ArchHamster
I noticed you all are on android but for me on iOS (iPhone), I'm having issues also but only with automatic door not opening on approach.
Works fine with the fob.
Tried every reset available on both phone and car, Re-installed the app tried with 3 different phones and nothing.
If I press the door handle, it works just not self opening with the phone only.

Seems like there are few issues with bluetooth on the latest update.

Upvote 0
Well I'm glad to read you all. I'm not losing my mind. Same issue here, Samsung fold 4, tesla model y, and it's been a frustrating experience to try to find a solution. I have set up my phone up as a phone key more times than I want to count, and it works for a 1day, 1hr, 1 fast minute. I will monitor this thread closely for solution(s).

Upvote 0
Well I'm glad to read you all. I'm not losing my mind. Same issue here, Samsung fold 4, tesla model y, and it's been a frustrating experience to try to find a solution. I have set up my phone up as a phone key more times than I want to count, and it works for a 1day, 1hr, 1 fast minute. I will monitor this thread closely for solution(s).
I'm on day 3 with phone key working again. I did the following:
1) Unpair all blueooth devices on my phone
2) Remove all phone keys from the car and also remove audio/phone pairing from the car
3) reboot phone and car
4) Install tesla app 4.14.3 - 1431
5) Re-add phone key
6) re-add bluetooth audio

Upvote 0
2) Remove all phone keys from the car and also remove audio/phone pairing from the car
3) reboot phone and car
5) Re-add phone key
6) re-add bluetooth audio
Meanwhile it stopped working but after rebooting the phone, it started working again.

Upvote 0
If you are willing to give it a go, I wrote some steps for you to follow. Best case scenario you get the Phone Key working perfectly again and you provide me with a data point. Worst case, it still doesn't work and you get back to the Play Store version of the app and wait until it gets fixed on a future update...

1.- You first need to open the Play Store and click on your profile icon on the upper right corner. There, click on: Manage apps & device.
2.- Next, click on the Manage tab on the upper left, next to the Overview tab.
3.- Find the Tesla app by scrolling on the list of apps and click on it.
4.- Click on the 3 doted menu on the upper right corner and unselect the Enable auto update, or just leave it unselected if that's the case.
5.- Next, click the Uninstall button under the Tesla logo and close the Play Store.
6.- Now, navigate to: Tesla, Inc. APKs on your device's web browser and download whatever older Tesla app version you like.
7.- Make sure you download the "nodpi" version. This way, you don't need to download any additional apps to install it.
View attachment 887870
8.- Once its finishes downloading. Go to your My Files app on your phone and click on Internal Storage and then Download. The Tesla app installer should be right there, click on it and hit Install.
9.- Once its done installing, you can delete the Tesla app installer by pressing and holding on the file and clicking Delete on the bottom right of the screen.
10. Open the Tesla app, Sign back in and configure all your settings as you had them before. Don't forget to grant the Tesla app all the required permissions for it to operate correctly.

Whenever you feel the need to return everything back to the way it was, just perform steps 1 through 4 again, but this time add the checkmark back to the Enable auto update on the Tesla app in the Play Store, this will allow the app to continue updating with every new release of the app.
No idea how you figured this out but Thank You! Worked for me!!! Just make sure it's the 4.14 Nov 30th version... 4.15 doesn't work

Upvote 0
I spoke to my service center (Pensacola). They said there is an issue with Android 13 and Tesla and how the Bluetooth is handled. I was told they are in touch with Google and working on it, and the rolling back of the app is a valid fix for the moment. If the issue is on Tesla's side, they will push an OTA update. If not, we need to wait for a patch from Google.

Upvote 0
3) reboot phone and car
5) Re-add phone key
6) re-add Bluetooth audio
I was speaking with tesla service person yesterday. He was adamant I reset my network settings in addition to uninstalling the app, and removing the devices from car Bluetooth. I have done so. I'm going to give it a few days.

Prior to the experiment just above, I set up an older phone (android), and it has worked flawlessly the whole time. This would seem to point to the fold 4 being the problem.

Upvote 0
I was speaking with tesla service person yesterday. He was adamant I reset my network settings in addition to uninstalling the app, and removing the devices from car Bluetooth. I have done so. I'm going to give it a few days.

Prior to the experiment just above, I set up an older phone (android), and it has worked flawlessly the whole time. This would seem to point to the fold 4 being the problem.
I am on the Flip 4 and have the same issue, as my Samsung S22 Ultra. The issue is with Android 13, my Flip just got the update.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
Upvote 0
I am on the Flip 4 and have the same issue, as my Samsung S22 Ultra. The issue is with Android 13, my Flip just got the update.
No update from Samsung at my end yet.
on day 3 after the cleanse, and it's working. uninstall app, reset network settings, removed from Bluetooth. then re-did things as a new install/owner.

The network reset main disadvantages is your phone loses all wifi, and Bluetooth settings, so you need to reconnect to all devices phone is connected to, earbuds, watch, ring, etc... on the other side i did notice after the reset that Bluetooth connection was connecting faster. The pain was worthwhile.

staying put.

Upvote 0
Thank you Art for the instructions.

So I reverted back to version Tesla 4.14.4-1455 (11/30/2022) and at 1st it didn't work.

Then I tried pairing the Fold 4 as a Bluetooth 1st and then going into the reverted Tesla app to add a Phone Key and bingo it worked!

I'll report back if it stops working again but I also disabled the auto update.
I tried all these but still it isn’t working.

Upvote 0
I brought my Model X into the SC for this issue on Thursday, they did some recall issues, and, on the invoice, it states that the phone key problem is a currently known issue and is under investigation with Google and Tesla.

I know this is going to sound horrible lol, but I bought an iPhone 14 Pro to use until they fix the issue and then I will give the iPhone to my daughter for an upgrade from her iPhone 11 pro. I really hate having to use the cards or carrying the FOBs.

Upvote 0
I brought my Model X into the SC for this issue on Thursday, they did some recall issues, and, on the invoice, it states that the phone key problem is a currently known issue and is under investigation with Google and Tesla.

I know this is going to sound horrible lol, but I bought an iPhone 14 Pro to use until they fix the issue and then I will give the iPhone to my daughter for an upgrade from her iPhone 11 pro. I really hate having to use the cards or carrying the FOBs.
Your daughter should send a thank you note to Elon.
I still have a problem with my iPhone not operating the self opening driver door on my X. Service appointment next week.

Upvote 0
2022 X plaid with the same issue on a fold 4. Everything worked perfectly until Samsung/Google forced the android 13 update on me. Nothing but problems since. Downgrading to the old app worked temporarily, hard to say when it will work and when it won't. This is a problem for me as i been walking off and car stays unlocked half the time... Getting paranoid and locking it from app every time now but that sucks...got so used to just walking away and not worrying about it (first world problems i know).

I can tell you It's definitely an android 13 issue as the newest app version on the latest car firmware was working perfectly before the android 13 update. In fact it's been working flawlessly since August when i got the car.

Upvote 0